10 [7.52%]
35 [26.32%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 11:59

Originally posted by Pafnutij Pafnutij wrote:

Simple Plan. It's one thing to write crappy songs, another to write such pretentious lyrics

none of them really suck but Britney spears because they're all good at the kind of music they play.

Edited by Peace Frog

Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 13:14
Fall Out Boy is easily the best pop-punk band out there. I really don't mind them. My Chemical Romance isn't that bad either, though I wouldn't choose to listen to them. Mariah Carey can actually sing. Brittany Spears gets my vote.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Rashikal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 13:54
R kelly

(groundbreaking concept album!!! OMG!)

listen to Hella
Destrio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 00:23

My Chemical Romance

They are awful

Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 13:57
Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

bush X

alice in chains

nirvana

britney spears

eminem

50 cents

janet jackson

chemical brothers

Alice in Chains? I hope you are joking...

The Chemical Brothers do some interesting stuff also... You went 2 far with these 2

R o V e R View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 14:46

i love chemical brothers

i think out of the options above

'others'   sucks more

Borealis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2006 at 20:18
Originally posted by king volta king volta wrote:

green day for ruining that 8 hour road trip...i'm sure i'll die 10 years earlier now.

What happened?

Vive le Québec libre!...
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2006 at 23:48

Stern SmileNot who, but what:

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Rosescar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2006 at 13:34
All those bands aren't too bad if you're like... 8-11 year old. I just can't imagine all my classmates still love bullsh*t like Greenday and Blink182. When I heard someone liked Simple Plan, I just couldn't believe it; how obviously can something be ment for 10-year olds? When I was 13 or 14 I already thought I was lightyears ahead of my classmates in my taste of music (actually, in almost everything) but instead of them catching up the gap only gets bigger.

What I'm wondering: did people think the same about prog from the 70's, or not? Is it just us youngsters that are part of some kind of idiot generation (thank MTV for that), or is it a normal phenonemon (sp)? I can already imagine they'd still listen to Greenday at the age of 22, but  on the other hand I can't imagine how someone can have such a bad taste.

Edited by Rosescar
My music!

"THE AUDIENCE WERE generally drugged. (In Holland, always)." - Robert Fripp
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2006 at 14:13

Originally posted by Rosescar Rosescar wrote:

All those bands aren't too bad if you're like... 8-11 year old. I just can't imagine all my classmates still love bullsh*t like Greenday and Blink182. When I heard someone liked Simple Plan, I just couldn't believe it; how obviously can something be ment for 10-year olds? When I was 13 or 14 I already thought I was lightyears ahead of my classmates in my taste of music (actually, in almost everything) but instead of them catching up the gap only gets bigger.

What I'm wondering: did people think the same about prog from the 70's, or not? Is it just us youngsters that are part of some kind of idiot generation (thank MTV for that), or is it a normal phenonemon (sp)? I can already imagine they'd still listen to Greenday at the age of 22, but  on the other hand I can't imagine how someone can have such a bad taste.

No, I believe it's a very normal thing you describe, Rosecar. Back in the early 70s, when I was first getting into prog, most of my schoolmates, by far, listened to the popular stuff that they heard on the radio. Prog was always a fringe thing, for serious music fans only. Disco became huge.  Gentle Giant and VDGG never rose above cult status. 

The thing is, most people are just not serious or dedicated music fans (even less so, as they age, and the peer pressure to be seen to be "into" the popular stuff disappears). To them, it's mostly just background noise, to talk on top of, and perhaps to dance to. They greatly prefer TV as entertainment. They will own perhaps 10-20 discs, cannot name the tracks (they'll say things like "track 7 is good"), have never read the lyrics, can't name the bandmembers, and tend to be "stuck" in one musical era (many of my contemporaries are "stuck in the 70s.")

Serious music fans (and prog listeners tend to be serious music fans -- bored with the same old radio pap, we want something different and challenging) have always been a minority (just as with serious art, poetry, literature, drama, gourmet food fans, etc.), and always will be.

To use an analogy, many more will tune into "Fear Factor," "Cops" or "Survivor" than will tune into "Masterpiece Theatre," and there are many more readers of "People" magazine than there are those who've read "War and Peace." More will opt for McDonalds, than a tasty, challenging curry from a little restaurant. Many more will visit Disneyworld, than the Taj Mahal. More will shop at Walmart, than at a little specialty store.

That's just the way it goes, and always has.

It doesn't make those people "bad' or "dumb" (or you superior), it just makes them different. Music is not a high priority for them. The dedicated patrons of the "high arts" (and not just those who wish to appear "sophisticated") have always been a tiny -- usually educated, and thus more affluent, as well -- minority, or "elite." (But not "elite" as in "better," in any moral or "human" sense.)

That said, positive and frequent exposure to good music (or books, food, other cultures, etc.), especially at an early age (cultural education, if you will) can make a huge difference in the formation of a person's tastes in art.

Really, those who chart their own path (not just re art, but anything) rather than merely following the pack, always have, and always will, be a tiny minority. Independence of thought, and resistance to trends, is something to be proud of, IMO.

You're decidedly in the minority -- better get used to the idea!Stern Smile

Edited by Peter
He chortled in his joy.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2006 at 14:31

Originally posted by Page to Squire Page to Squire wrote:

Coldplay...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
West End Ken View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2006 at 22:56

WOW........that's deep,Peter. Soooo true though....well said. Oh,I'm Ken....btw.

I suppose they're all good at their type of music. I can tell you the "new rock" FM station in my area plays the hell out of Green Day,Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance,so they must be good right?

So the winner is..........Brittany Spears.

Ahhhh.....the heck with it, they all suck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lyrics of the week
Cast out a spell rendered for the light of day
Lost in lights array
I ventured to see,as the sound began to play
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 13:33
Originally posted by West End Ken West End Ken wrote:

WOW........that's deep,Peter. Soooo true though....well said. Oh,I'm Ken....btw.

SmileWelcome, Ken, and thanks for reading and responding -- sometimes I'm afraid that very few people have the patience/attention span to read longer posts. (Which may further illustrate my point: too many people, perhaps more than ever, seem to want instant gratification -- the reward, without the work.)Ermm

What part of the Great White North are you in?Smile

He chortled in his joy.
sbrushfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2006 at 15:09

Green Day...excellent POP music; "American Idiot" was, IMO, a great record.

Mariah Carey, on the other hand, was great when she started...but in the mid-90's, her music started to suck ass when she fell down into the morass that I like to call "hip-hop". Nowadays, she's getting her voice back...thank God!

Britney Spears...I can't speak badly of her music.  Some of it IS, IMO, catchy.  Remember, she's not a songwriter...at least she wasn't ambitious to write her own stuff until later on.

Never heard Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance, though some of my friends swear by them.

My vote: SLIPKNOT and KORN!!!!!!  OMFG!!!!! One of Slipknot's guitarists actually had the BALLS to compare his "band" to Rush! I was like..."Are you kidding me????"

Some world views are spacious, and some are merely spaced...
Figglesnout View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2006 at 16:45
Originally posted by Borealis Borealis wrote:

Originally posted by king volta king volta wrote:

green day for ruining that 8 hour road trip...i'm sure i'll die 10 years earlier now.

What happened?

my 34 year old uncle (!!!) loves them, and i went to visit him in tennesee and he had to drive us back. i swear i heard every f**king record they've recorded like 20 times now.

i actually used to like them maybe 5 years ago...i maybe still would if they'd hadn't sold out and quit their style of writing songs about nothing to instead write sh*t about politics and religion to have a punk label attached to them...

i still like some of my old punk bands (green day was never punk)...i like rancid a lot for they have a very original sound that no one has ever replicated--plus a kick-ASS bass player.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case
dralan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2006 at 19:15
 Mariah Carey is just too damn hot to vote against her, so Ill have to go with whoever said 50 Cent. 
Badabec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 15:17
Originally posted by sbrushfan sbrushfan wrote:

Mariah Carey, on the other hand, was great when she started...but in the mid-90's, her music started to suck ass when she fell down into the morass that I like to call "hip-hop". Nowadays, she's getting her voice back...thank God!

Britney Spears...I can't speak badly of her music.  Some of it IS, IMO, catchy.  Remember, she's not a songwriter...at least she wasn't ambitious to write her own stuff until later on.

Never heard Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance, though some of my friends swear by them.

My vote: SLIPKNOT and KORN!!!!!!  OMFG!!!!! One of Slipknot's guitarists actually had the BALLS to compare his "band" to Rush! I was like..."Are you kidding me????"

There is no excellent pop today!
American idiot sucks!
Mariah Carey is horribly,
Britney Spears is sooooo bad
By the way you're not a good musician when singing what other people wrote for you. Good musicians write their own songs, so in that case even Green Day would be better than Britney Spears!
Ok Slipknot isn't good, but it's a thousand times better than the other bands/people from the poll.
Today Korn sucks, but in the past they made one really good album: Issues.

I can't understand how you can like some of that stuff from the poll...

sbrushfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 20:33
Originally posted by Badabec Badabec wrote:

Originally posted by sbrushfan sbrushfan wrote:

There is no excellent pop today!
American idiot sucks!
Mariah Carey is horribly,
Britney Spears is sooooo bad
By the way you're not a good musician when singing what other people wrote for you. Good musicians write their own songs, so in that case even Green Day would be better than Britney Spears!
Ok Slipknot isn't good, but it's a thousand times better than the other bands/people from the poll.
Today Korn sucks, but in the past they made one really good album: Issues.

I can't understand how you can like some of that stuff from the poll...

First off, whoever you are, I am a songwriter. I tend to take influence from almost everything I hear. This leads me to a broad spectrum of music, from rock to pop and a bit of R&B. Modern pop might seem crass and commerical to some people (how 'bout that Britney?) but, like it or not, and unless prog makes a MAJOR commerical case for itself(much to the chagrin of elitists like you) it's here to stay. So what if it's pablum?  It sells, and just because YOU don't like it does NOT mean other people don't. By the way...I never said Britney was a musician. She IS, however, a songwriter...she started co-writing some of her stuff in 2000 (...OOPS; I DID IT AGAIN).

Slipknot might be good too; I don't know about that, simply because when I heard them, I heard painfully detuned guitars (B Fsharp B E Gsharp Csharp; A E A D Fsharp B) and screaming "vocals". It sounded like a worse version of Nirvana (which I detested).

Korn is another band I take umbrage with. So what if they ARE talented? All they do is tune down (sigh) and play power chords all along the neck of their 7-strings. Whoopee-frickin-do. I could do that, and I don't even play guitar. I dread to think what you might think of people who actually PLAY their instruments, like, say, Hanson (another band I happen to like).

In short, if you don't like the bands listed, don't listen to them. That's your right. I have mine as well.

Edited by sbrushfan
Spacemac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 09:42
Hmm it's always a matter of taste I think
sbrushfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 14:56

Originally posted by Spacemac Spacemac wrote:

Hmm it's always a matter of taste I think

PRECISELY, Sapcemac.  That's why I said "That's your right".  God...what an elitist.

Edited by sbrushfan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>