Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Me
    Posted: January 01 2006 at 16:10

Who am I?

Well, let's see.

When my mother went to Princeton to get her Ph.D., my sister and I went with her.  One of the albums she brought (and I don't know why, she was more of a Dionne Warwick fan) was ELP's debut album.  This is the first rock album I remember really listening too.

(My first album was an album of classical piano that I picked up at National Music Camp when I was very young.)

While at Princeton (1970-1971), this group named Genesis came to play on campus.  That was my first concert.  I was so blown away by them that I convinced my mother and my sister to see their midnight show the following year (1971-1972).

I saw the big acts at arenas, but one show of note was seeing Pink Floyd's Wall on Long Island.

Later, while living in NYC, a friend formed a band which I joined.  He wanted to perform Country and get into SF Conventions free.  This girl named Lisa also joined.  It turned out that our tastes were more in the direction of Prog, so we kicked him out.  I played keys, while she sang, played guitar, and wrote.  I also experimented with Stick, but as a two piece I needed better chops immediately.  The group had a drummer for much of its life (but replaced him with a drum machine at the end).  We also occassionally had a bass player and once in a while a flutist and a sax player.

I ended up marrying Lisa.  (I proposed while driving back from a Emerson concert - either ELPowell or 3 - in a failed attempt to get her to stop talking about how good a keyboard player Keith was.  It didn't work.)

When she got her Ph.D., we moved to Florida.

At that point, going back to college, building a family, and our careers got in the way of music.

Eating regularly is not all it's cracked up to be.

The kids are older (12 and 9), so I'm getting back into music.  First thing I discovered is how many of my albums have disappeared over the years.  I'm also saving up to get a Stick again.  Now that I don't have immediate performance requirements, maybe I can devote myself to actually playing it well.

My oldest daughter plays guitar, bass, keyboards, recorders, and percussion.  My youngest daughter plays recorders and percussion.  Their taste is pretty bad, but they're young still.

Fredrik V Coulter
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2006 at 16:35
Welcome.... and lucky you !!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2006 at 16:41
welcome to a great site
fcoulter View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2006 at 17:07

My wife just read the preceeding.  "Why didn't you mention the fact I also played harp at our gigs?"

I'm obviously suffering from aging faster than I would like.

Fredrik V Coulter
Lambskin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2006 at 17:13

Welcome

You are gonna LOVE this site.

www.sinistergrin.net

ROCK ON!
Lambskin
Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 20:54
They have bad tastes in music you say?  Soap does wonders

And welcome to hell!... I mean ProgArchives.
 Post Reply Post Reply