Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Dillinger Escape Plan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 21:46

this forums getting a little out of control!  lol. well people here seem pretty angry and/or are extremely opinionated so ill try not to get torn appart by said angry people... i (who like Opeth very much) find Dillenger Escape Plan close to unlistenable... though i do not discount their musical ability by any means. talented they may be, but they dont fully bring it together. The vocals are the biggest let down and the biggest problem i have with this "metal-core" band and extreme lack of melody also runs rampant throughout their albums. I also find that their songs start to sound the same  when listened to more than, oh say zero times IMVHO. now that might not be the same for you but i cant take much more than one song till im pummeled to the ground with my ears bleeding... wow turns out i was pretty opionated too... please dont hurt me ...

edit: ps   technical execution should NOT be the only requirement that gets a band classified as "progressive" i know of some EXTREMELY talented musicians who are not by any stretch prog. If technical ability is all that gets a band on the prog bus... then i dont believe they should have the honor of calling themselves "prog". (and no im not saying the DEP doesnt combine some weird time sig.s or anything like that... but come on) ill save any other anti-DEP thoughts for another forum and try to stay passive. 

Edited by Mikeypoo
xjester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 22:07
Originally posted by Mikeypoo Mikeypoo wrote:

this forums getting a little out of control!  lol. well people here seem pretty angry and/or are extremely opinionated so ill try not to get torn appart by said angry people... i (who like Opeth very much) find Dillenger Escape Plan close to unlistenable... though i do not discount their musical ability by any means. talented they may be, but they dont fully bring it together. The vocals are the biggest let down and the biggest problem i have with this "metal-core" band and extreme lack of melody also runs rampant throughout their albums. I also find that their songs start to sound the same  when listened to more than, oh say zero times IMVHO. now that might not be the same for you but i cant take much more than one song till im pummeled to the ground with my ears bleeding... wow turns out i was pretty opionated too... please dont hurt me ...

edit: ps   technical execution should NOT be the only requirement that gets a band classified as "progressive" i know of some EXTREMELY talented musicians who are not by any stretch prog. If technical ability is all that gets a band on the prog bus... then i dont believe they should have the honor of calling themselves "prog". (and no im not saying the DEP doesnt combine some weird time sig.s or anything like that... but come on) ill save any other anti-DEP thoughts for another forum and try to stay passive. 

This is the kinda guy we need to be listening to. 

Mikeypoo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 22:20

thanks man! i try my best...

Edited by Mikeypoo
moonlapse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 23:03
well said mikey 
Nyko View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 23:55
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

Originally posted by Nyko Nyko wrote:

I can't stand anything-core.
How do you know they were atrocious, then?

I understand what you are meaning by that, but it is a bit ridiculous. If I can't stand metalcore then I would most likeyl find many metalcore acts to be atrocious. "Atrocious", being a very opinionative and subjective words, could be applied to anything that is bad to me, despite any variables, circumstances, prenotions, or genre classification.
    On to what I think you meant. I have a bandmate that likes a lot of metalcore, so I hear a lot more of it than I would like to. Having that said, it isn't as good as some of the metalcore I have listened to that had some merit. I think DEP may be technical talented SOMEWHAT, but without ways to apply that correctly it doesn't mean very much. Hats off to them for learning their instruments better than many core bands, but they aren't really much better in the way of music. The music I listen must have melody, no matter how hard it is, and DEP seems to ignore that for energy. The show was terrible in ways of showmanship. Although going out on a limb to be entertaining is good in most cases, as not to stand their playing in a boring fashion (Dream Theater and Opeth, bands that I like), they sacrificed the musical quality, proving to be even worse than what I have heard from studio.
    I wouldn't care so much if this band did not leave such a negative impression on me and then I go to see it winding up in the archives. No, I am not fighting to have them removed or anything like that, it doesn't bother me, I just saw the chance to voice my opinion on that. I feel so much more art in Opeth's music, and that is a key quality to me, something that I look for (although it can transcend into pretentiousness.) I do not, however, like the direction that Opeth is heading, but even if they continued in this path, sold-out, cut their hair and hooked up with bob rock, I would take them over DEP.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 04:00

Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

I can't stand anything-core.
How do you know they were atrocious, then?

On to what I think you meant. I have a bandmate that
likes a lot of metalcore, so I hear a lot more of it than I would like
to. Having that said, it isn't as good as some of the metalcore I have
listened to that had some merit. I think DEP may be technical talented
SOMEWHAT, but without ways to apply that correctly it doesn't mean very
much. Hats off to them for learning their instruments better than many
core bands, but they aren't really much better in the way of music. The
music I listen must have melody, no matter how hard it is, and DEP
seems to ignore that for energy. The show was terrible in ways of
showmanship.
A lot of other people have said how terrible they've been live. I'm not going to argue with that, because I have absolutely no idea - I don't think I've even heard recordings of them live, let alone seen them.

On the other hand, I don't know what you mean by applying technical skill correctly. After all, hardcore is meant to be chaotic and dissonant, as of course you know . What I do think is that DEP's music is far more full of interesting ideas than any of the "big names" in hardcore (I may be a little out of date since I really haven't listened to any new hardcore for a couple of years now EDIT: this is not true! I have in fact been listenening to A Textbook Tragedy lately (awful name, I know!) and they've definitely got something good going on. Not in the same way as DEP, but probably more stomachable since they go into less intense bits that last a bit longer than a few seconds ). What bands like Converge try to do, DEP were already doing

Edited by goose
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 04:07

Goose, it's the first time I've seen you get emotional about a band.

Goose is a DEP fanboy, Goose is a DEP fanboy, Goose is... sorry

Ahem. I think Slipperfink's summed it all up well - you don't have to like their image etc. but they sure know their way around the instruments. Especially Chris Pennie, the drummer and nut.  I really enjoy them for the most part.

And that metal versus hxc thing is in my "Most ridiculous" top 20.

Edited by Manunkind
Mikeypoo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 20:21
Ahem. I think Slipperfink's summed it all up well - you don't have to like their image etc. but they sure know their way around the instruments. Especially Chris Pennie, the drummer and nut.  I really enjoy them for the most part.

Ill say it again... Great instrumentation should not be a freebie into the prog arena. Enjoy the (wince) music if you like it im not in any way telling you you're stupid for listening to it because i myself do listen to and like some bands that are classified as hard-core. However, as much as you or I may like a band, i do not feel they should be considered progressive just based on the fact that they use weird time signitures and play technically. It should be based on the music as a whole, not just one aspect of it. thanks for hearing me out,

mike

Edited by Mikeypoo
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 21:05
Originally posted by Manunkind Manunkind wrote:

Goose, it's the first time I've seen you get emotional about a band.

Goose is a DEP fanboy, Goose is a DEP fanboy, Goose is... sorry

And that metal versus hxc thing is in my "Most ridiculous" top 20.

I'm not even that into DEP compared to some other bands . I'm sure I've said equally happy things about Kayo Dot or King Crimson in the past, and thought them about TMV and Soft Machine, Fantomas, Cynic and Gentle Giant among others (just couldn't bring myself to write it, I guess )

Edited by goose
chromaticism View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 15:47

DEP is ridiculously too technical to my ears that the music has a character of rattling nails inside a can.  Their music appears to sound too random and incoherent like it was composed just for the sake of having odd meters, polyrhythms, and shred guitar.  I can't even understand what the vocalist is rambling about.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123