FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Dillinger Escape Plan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Dillinger Escape Plan
    Posted: January 13 2006 at 16:50
this band could be described by some as progressive metal, and i think theyre better than opeth techincally, and overall.

thoughts? i think they should be added. they worked with mike patton of mr bungle and fantomas etc. on one album, i think theyre great.

listen to Hella
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 16:54

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=1929

And NO, they're nowhere near as good as Opeth. Totally over the top, and although I find them interesting, I would not blindly recommend them. But I would recommend Opeth without a shadow of a doubt ...

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 17:07
Check the EP with Patton for something excellent. Of course it's over the top
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 17:13

Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

Check the EP with Patton for something excellent. Of course it's over the top

Yes, the EP is nice. In fact it's my favorite DEP record.

Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 17:26
They are not better than Opeth, but they are really good. Sure, their music is tedhnical brilliance, but I think they are a little obnoxious at times. With Miss Machine, they added more variety, but I would really like to see them have more contrast. I can hardly get through a full length. I do love Miss Machine, but only in moderation.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 17:29

Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

They are not better than Opeth, but they are really good. Sure, their music is tedhnical brilliance, but I think they are a little obnoxious at times. With Miss Machine, they added more variety, but I would really like to see them have more contrast. I can hardly get through a full length. I do love Miss Machine, but only in moderation.

I liked Miss Machine at first, but it did not grow. I really miss harmonic melodies and clear song structures in their music. I guess this is also what you mean by "contrast". 

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 17:46
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I liked Miss Machine at first, but it did not grow. I really miss harmonic melodies and clear song structures in their music. I guess this is also what you mean by "contrast". 

Somewhat. I know what you mean, but I think that Miss Machine, song-wise, had more contrast than anything else they've done. I think a handful of the tracks on Miss Machine have a clear song structure. Vocally, they have improved. Their first vocalist didn't sing at all; the new guy sings on a couple of tracks, and he has a versatile voice. His scream is brutal, but he can actually sing too. "Baby's First Coffin" is a prime example of his versatility. There is the crazy for the first few minutes, and then they go into that light, melodic part; it is fantastic. The rhythmic pattern remains very odd, but the music is beautfiul. Their music should have more of that in it, but not too much, or that will get old too. Hopefully they will continue to build their sound for their next record. I would definitely like to see more harmonies and the sort.

Miss Machine didn't grow on me at all either, but it is the only one I can stand listening to, except for the Patton EP on occasion.

Edited by Moatilliatta
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:04

Somewhat. I know what you mean, but I think that Miss Machine, song-wise, had more contrast than anything else they've done. I think a handful of the tracks on Miss Machine have a clear song structure. Vocally, they have improved. Their first vocalist didn't sing at all; the new guy sings on a couple of tracks, and he has a versatile voice. His scream is brutal, but he can actually sing too. "Baby's First Coffin" is a prime example of his versatility. There is the crazy for the first few minutes, and then they go into that light, melodic part; it is fantastic. The rhythmic pattern remains very odd, but the music is beautfiul. Their music should have more of that in it, but not too much, or that will get old too. Hopefully they will continue to build their sound for their next record. I would definitely like to see more harmonies and the sort.

Miss Machine didn't grow on me at all either, but it is the only one I can stand listening to, except for the Patton EP on occasion.

Agreed ... but I think that they would have to add a lot more "contrast" until I would really love their music. And I fear that their initial approach was to be as quirky and "math" as possible, with almost no harmony or repeating, simple patterns. So if they would add many of these elements they would not be DEP anymore ...

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:12

Agreed ... but I think that they would have to add a lot more "contrast" until I would really love their music. And I fear that their initial approach was to be as quirky and "math" as possible, with almost no harmony or repeating, simple patterns. So if they would add many of these elements they would not be DEP anymore ...

Good points. That is what makes them who they are.

I will always appreciate them, but possibly never love them.

They started a new thing in metal with that ridiculously technical music, and many bands have been forming in that vein, but none of them (save for Between the Bureid and Me) do it as good, or better than them. They all sound the same too.

Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:15
I really liked DEP's s/t EP and the follow-up Calculating Infinity.

I enjoyed the Irony EP because I like Mike Patton, but I felt the music taking a direction I didn't like...

...to enjoy Miss Machine, I have to think of them as a different band   I miss the stuff they did on CI...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:19

Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

I really liked DEP's s/t EP and the follow-up Calculating Infinity.

I enjoyed the Irony EP because I like Mike Patton, but I felt the music taking a direction I didn't like...

...to enjoy Miss Machine, I have to think of them as a different band   I miss the stuff they did on CI...

I think that Calculating Infinity is their best album in terms of creativity and focus. I would rate it 4 stars and mention in the review that it's an acquired taste ... steer clear if you don't like genres with the word "core" in them.

Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:30
Meh, aside from hardcore, which Calculating Infinity wasn't, there weren't any other -core genres at the time...  and -core sounds nothing like CI and everything like Miss Machine 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 18:56

Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

Meh, aside from hardcore, which Calculating Infinity wasn't, there weren't any other -core genres at the time...  and -core sounds nothing like CI and everything like Miss Machine 

Mathcore?

moonlapse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 19:01
Originally posted by Rashikal Rashikal wrote:

this band could be described by some as progressive metal, and i think theyre better than opeth techincally, and overall.

DEP is terrible
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 19:33
I'm pretty sure it was always called hardcore before people started putting "core" on the end of everything else. The vocals are straight up hardcore most of the time, anyway...
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 00:42

Only one question, this band was added by Solids2k, how can a newbie who has posted 31 times since he joined 6 months ago add bands???

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 01:03
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Only one question, this band was added by Solids2k, how can a newbie who has posted 31 times since he joined 6 months ago add bands???

Iván

They were added when anyone could add a band, although I do think they deserve to be here.
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
RoyalJelly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 07:33
     The music is fascinating, but the shouting vocals make it
hard to take for more than ten minutes...I agree a little variation
there would make it very enjoyable...but it's like always on the
same level. I guess I'm just not that pissed off at life or
something...
Rashikal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 14:02
wow. people like royal jelly really piss me off. opeth also has screaming vocals, that doesnt mean it is only for angsty teens. im sick of metal being disregarded as a genre for troubled adolescents. dillinger escape plan is an awesome band.

listen to Hella
Solids2k View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 14:25
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Iván

Why are you so quick to assume that a 'newbie' to these message boards is a newbie to progressive music and should not possess the ability to contribute to this fantastic database of music? What I find as strikingly amusing is the fact that you value one's post count in such a high regard that it should influence that privilege to add bands. High post counts or registration dates should not be weights used to swing the integrity of a user's band addition to progarchives.com.

I'm unsure as to whether your post insinuates that the amendment displays an unworthy addition by a 'naive' progarchives member, but assuming it is I can only stress that I too, feel that The Dillinger Escape is amongst the few truly progressive bands nowadays in the sense that they don't dwell on prog of the past but take the growingly popular 'metal' and 'hardcore' genres of today to experimental and complex heights, all-the-while making nods to jazz-fusion and prog rock. Do not make the mistake that I do not appreciate or love progressive music of the past, because I do, but acts like The Dillinger Escape Plan is to progressive music fans like myself as King Crimson may have been to our dads. Like DEP or not, hopefully you can at the least acknowledge that.

edit: I gather that Ivan was thrown for a loop by the fact that newer users don't possess the ability to add bands and was surprised that I could. My realization essentially makes this post null.

Edited by Solids2k
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>