Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedguru guru

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
el dingo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: guru guru
    Posted: October 16 2008 at 03:11
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I think the one I listen the most to is Kan Guru. Very experimental and the first one with more refined studio tricks courtesy of the late Connie Plank. Also because it drives so many of my friends nuts. They`re like kids who won`t eat their broccoli. One of my girlfriend`s friends in high scool thought I had mental problems when I played the whole thing at a house party. This girl seriously thought that should see a shrink. I forked out about $50 for "30 Jarre Live". Worth every penny. I just saw UFO going for $47 at HMV in Montréal. I`m listening to Don`t Call Us We Call You at the moment.

Yeah, there's something in this broccoli thing.

I used to have to prep loads of the stuff in the kitchen and (when head chef wasn't around) found that a dose of Soon Over Babaluma helped the drudgery pass. Maybe I chopped the veg while Schmidt chopped the keyboard?
It's not that I can't find worth in anything, it's just that I can't find worth in enough.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 14:09
I think the one I listen the most to is Kan Guru. Very experimental and the first one with more refined studio tricks courtesy of the late Connie Plank. Also because it drives so many of my friends nuts. They`re like kids who won`t eat their broccoli. One of my girlfriend`s friends in high scool thought I had mental problems when I played the whole thing at a house party. This girl seriously thought that should see a shrink. I forked out about $50 for "30 Jarre Live". Worth every penny. I just saw UFO going for $47 at HMV in Montréal. I`m listening to Don`t Call Us We Call You at the moment.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - October 15 2008 at 14:16
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 13:47

Just managed to obtain a copy of PSY. No kidding, they definitely haven`t lost it. Wah! Wah! is great. Lots of "hendrixy" guitar.

Yes, the guuuuuitar!!Smile.too bad the guitarist only lasted one album. Wah WahClap is actually the GG i listen the most to!

Also worth mentioning is the triple CD set: ''30 Jahre live''
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 13:42
Just managed to obtain a copy of PSY. No kidding, they definitely haven`t lost it. Wah! Wah! is great. Lots of "hendrixy" guitar.
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 13:31
Originally posted by zafreth zafreth wrote:

Good band, specially his first four a lbums

Oh! Try their last albums as well....give it a try! they're still doing amazing music.....Wah Wah!..Moshi Moshi, 2000gurus, In The Guru Lounge.......all goodWink
I have a friend who just got the last one PSY, they haven't lost a step...i have to get this one as well!
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 13:08
Good band, specially his first four a lbums

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 11:52
If you can find it there`s a bootleg kicking around called UNCUTS with Dagobert Duck`s 100th Birthday, Girl From Hirschorn & Der Elektrolurch with Guitarist Connie Veit ( Popol Vuh & Gila ). Not as good as the Nejadepour versions from Dance Of The Flames though.
el dingo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 11:32
Thanks for that - insight is always a blessing and I'm grateful.

I can't run away from it... I still LOVE that track. I didn't know what GG fans thought at the time but it does make sense what you say. I won;t attempt to respell the guitarist;s name, but if you're in the right mood (!) the comedy element disappears and it rocks its socks off. Perhaps he's been thru a few batteries on his pedals in his time?

Guess you;ve heard it already, but if you've not Gong's You is pretty good, too. Saw Can at Dagenham Roundhouse around 73. I;m no died in the wool Krautrock fan but they were amazing live. Irwin Schmidt on vocals if I remember.

Thank you.
It's not that I can't find worth in anything, it's just that I can't find worth in enough.
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 11:23

Originally posted by el dingo el dingo wrote:

My mate bought Dance of the Flames when it came out and I quite liked it at the time.

I rediscovered Dagobert Duck's 100th Birthday a few months back and what strikes me over the 30 year gap is just how bloody HA HA FUNNY that track is.

Hendrix meets McLauchlin meets Walt Disney meets Lenny Bruce I'd say. Love the drum sound throughout and the outro sounds like part of a Gun n Roses outtake to me...

I've been cheffing all summer and it's been a favourite in the kitchen with the other guys.

Next Time I'll F*** the Duck has become a catchphrase and we don't even have duck on the menu.

Quack Quack.
Perhaps the shortest lived Guru Guru lineup which lasted only a few months. It`s sort of the black sheep of their catologue. I`m sort of glad that was a one off for Guru Guru. I`ve talked to a lot of people who have been dissappointed with other Guru Guru albums after hearing this one especially  fusion heads. So I always have to warn them that this is not typical of Guru Guru`s output. All the excitement over this particular album was no doubt caused by the fiery guitar work of  Houschang Nejadepour who had previously played with Kraftwerk and German  jazz rock band Eiliff and more recently with world music pianist Pamela Arthur. I love the fact that mani never lost any of his wackiness which can be heard right up to the present day. I love all the albums. One of my faves of all time. Mani is a veritable living legend.

Great explanationClapDance of the Flames is a great Guru Guru album.........I don't see it as a black sheep or something different as every G.GURU album is ...different with their own wacky personality.......!LOL

My black sheep would be the first side of GURU GURU 4(i think) from 1973..the one with the medley from Eddie Cochran.........oddConfused.............still love a lot side 2 with ''Der Elektrolurch'' and the great ''The Story Of Life''..,...................2 great tunes!!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 11:01
Originally posted by el dingo el dingo wrote:

My mate bought Dance of the Flames when it came out and I quite liked it at the time.

I rediscovered Dagobert Duck's 100th Birthday a few months back and what strikes me over the 30 year gap is just how bloody HA HA FUNNY that track is.

Hendrix meets McLauchlin meets Walt Disney meets Lenny Bruce I'd say. Love the drum sound throughout and the outro sounds like part of a Gun n Roses outtake to me...

I've been cheffing all summer and it's been a favourite in the kitchen with the other guys.

Next Time I'll F*** the Duck has become a catchphrase and we don't even have duck on the menu.

Quack Quack.
Perhaps the shortest lived Guru Guru lineup which lasted only a few months. It`s sort of the black sheep of their catologue. I`m sort of glad that was a one off for Guru Guru. I`ve talked to a lot of people who have been dissappointed with other Guru Guru albums after hearing this one especially  fusion heads. So I always have to warn them that this is not typical of Guru Guru`s output. All the excitement over this particular album was no doubt caused by the fiery guitar work of  Houschang Nejadepour who had previously played with Kraftwerk and German  jazz rock band Eiliff and more recently with world music pianist Pamela Arthur. I love the fact that mani never lost any of his wackiness which can be heard right up to the present day. I love all the albums. One of my faves of all time. Mani is a veritable living legend.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 07:53
Originally posted by superprog superprog wrote:

i have UFO and Hinten, great psyched-up Krautrock power!!!  

anybody here know of Mani's most recent collab with Acid Mothers Temple, called (u guesed it) Acid Mothers Guru Guru????

great album, definitely get it

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 06:18
i have UFO and Hinten, great psyched-up Krautrock power!!!  

anybody here know of Mani's most recent collab with Acid Mothers Temple, called (u guesed it) Acid Mothers Guru Guru????
el dingo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 04:03

Quack Quack.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 06:45
Of course not. Mani & Co were never in it for the money and were ripped off left right and center at times. I'm going to try and get it directly through Fusion III.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 06:37

I don't use the internet for anything which involves money. Too many rip off artists out there. i listened to some samples. Worth waiting for as always. I don't even trust the mailman anymore. The clowns at Canada Post loses so much mail. Someone recently tried to send me a CD twice from the United States TWICE and both times it wasn't delivered.

you suspect Guru Guru of ripping you off? Angry

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 06:33
I don't use the internet for anything which involves money. Too many rip off artists out there. i listened to some samples. Worth waiting for as always. I don't even trust the mailman anymore. The clowns at Canada Post loses so much mail. Someone recently tried to send me a CD twice from the United States TWICE and both times it wasn't delivered.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 00:48

Trying to get PSY. Can't find a store that can order it yet. I don't deal over the internet.

order it directly from their homepage. here a link to their mail-order form:
http://mani-neumeier.de/guruguru/guru_10_shop.htm

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 00:14

Trying to get PSY. Can't find a store that can order it yet. I don't deal over the internet.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 15:50
we have their latest, PSY, and it is great

febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 14:41
Also i happen to listen more to recent Guru Guru albums than their  first ones.
As mentioned above WAH WAH is fantastic; the same goes for In The Guru Lounge.Thumbs%20Up 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>