Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo ex Crimsons hate Fripp?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do ex Crimsons hate Fripp?
    Posted: January 18 2006 at 21:06

Its a fact...Crimson has have many personal changes in the ´70, and a few of them due to...Fripp vision and how he was/is kinda of a "monastic ruler"...but is there hate involved? Specially with first line-up...ctually only with the line-up from 1969-1971, because I know than he is friend with both Bruford and Wetton and has worked later on with Cross and the ´80/´90 line-up hardly changed, and when they did it was not because of fights or so.

So, any Crimson history specilist? I mean...what´s the deal with McDonald, lake ( well that I know something), Giles, Sinfield, Collins...etc...

"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Thufir Hawat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 21:12

I don’t know any one hates if Robert Fipp,

He basically changed the line up of the

Band every two albums. I have No idea

Why he changed the original line up it

Was the perfect band.

"I can't see through my eye lids"
kingofbizzare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 21:36
I don't think he changed the original line up. In fact, he supposedly offered to leave if some of the others would stay behind.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 21:37
Originally posted by Thufir Hawat Thufir Hawat wrote:

I don’t know any one hates if Robert Fipp,

He basically changed the line up of the

Band every two albums. I have No idea

Why he changed the original line up it

Was the perfect band.

No,no no no...you got it all wrong

He didn´t changed the first line-up. lake left to join E,L&P, McDonald also left (and this one I do think was because of artistical vision fights with Fripp), Giles left soon after to join McDonald and they form the McDonald&Giles duo...what i want to know if they had fights or what ever with Fripp and if they still (or ever did) hate him.

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 00:32
I don't understand the term "ex-Crimsons"...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 08:25

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

I don't understand the term "ex-Crimsons"...

Ex-members of King Crimson - where's the problem?

BebieM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 09:53
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

McDonald also left (and this one I do think was because of artistical vision fights with Fripp),

No, I don't think it was a fight with Fripp actually, McDonald and Glies got tired of touring and all the "dark energy" in KC's music, so that they needed a break. I'm not too sure though.

Also McDonald was about to rejoin after "Red", but Fripp broke up KC (again).
Dennis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 10:59
McDonald and Giles foolishly left in December '69 for God knows what reason? They didn't know a good thing when they had it. McDonald as you well know became a "pop" item with Foreigner and Giles faded into obscurity until both he and McDonald tried to recapture the old Crimson vibe in the 21st Century Schizoid Band (which worked well to replay the old Crim classics, but can they survive if they write new material? I doubt it.). Lake stayed but was backed into a corner by Fripp, when Lake realized that Crimso in 1970 was not a stable entity. That's when he decided to join Emerson and Palmer. Everyone has heard a story about Lake asking Fripp to get out of his limo, because Fripp pissed him off after making rude comments about a possible original Crimson reunion in 1997. I also heard that Boz loathed Fripp because he couldn't rock out and play standard blues based rock and roll. Thank God he didn't! Peter Sinfield, who in my opinion is a brilliant poet and songwriter, was basically thrown out of the band by Fripp in 1972, because Robert all of a sudden decided he didn't like his lyrics anymore or his artistic input. I don't know if anyone of the ex-Crim members actually hates Fripp, but it's not a secret that old Bobby is a very difficult man to deal with. His nasty arrogance toward his fans is well known. I'm sure his snobbish attitude has rubbed many fellow musicians in the same manner. Out of all the old Crimson members, I think Sinfield would probably come closest to hating Fripp. I don't know if it's still there, but several years ago, Sinfield posted a quite long and nasty written feud between himself and Fripp on his website. It was quite a funny read, as both men verbally bashed each other. Both men were extremely articulate in smearing each other, and the feud went on for quite a long time. I believe Fripp met his intulectual match with Sinfield, and he just couldn't stand it because he always has to have the final word. I said this feud was funny to read, but at the same time it was also sad because you realized that these two men will probably never work together again. I've come to the conclusion that Fripp really is an uptight jerk. Yes I think his influence as a prog-rock guitarist is substantial, and I believe he's a brilliant guitarist, but I wish I didn't know about his flawed personality. I think much less of him because of his attitude.     

Edited by Dennis
"Day dawns dark, it now numbers infinity"
Winter Wine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 11:04

Well I don't know if any ex members hated Fripp but you hardly call him a top geezer could ya!

I do know that a couple of years ago Fripp called up Collins to apologise for some of the things he had said all those years ago. I think that was a very brave and nice thing to do really, and Collins said they now get on well with each other. I always thought that all those years ago Fripp may have been a little insecure and could not articulate his feelings very well and that's why there was a lot of bad feelings in the band(s)

I apologize if I sound like a shrink, but I feel i've a point

My computer's broke
Froth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 11:08

I don't know if Fripp is hated by anyone... infact Bruford is often vocal about his admiration of Fripp. Fripp wasnt hugley nice to some of his band though. He completely slated Mel Collins' compositions when he showed them to Fripp reducing Collins to tears. The've made up now though. I think it was Gordan Haskell who had nothing short of a nervous breakdown after Fripp and co. pushed him too far. I don't know if there was any acrimony between the split of Fripp and Sinfield, infact i don't know why they split at all... 

I bet Yes hate him. Firstly he refused to join them and then he stole their drummer... who also happened to be the best member of Yes and went on to mke records that were better than anything yes could dream of. Good for Fripp though!

hawkbrock View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 11:18
Fripp is up there on my ass-hole guitarists list along with Blackmore.... but hey, its artistic temprement.
Winter Wine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 11:23
Originally posted by Froth Froth wrote:

I bet Yes hate him

I bet YOU hate YES

My computer's broke
Froth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 15:33
i don't hate Yes. I just wished their music was as good as their fans say it is.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 15:44

Originally posted by Froth Froth wrote:

i don't hate Yes. I just wished their music was as good as their fans say it is.

Jejeje dont go there!!!

I cant believe Yes offered Fripp to join them...because until 1971 King Crimson where more popular and sold more than Yes...strange...its a good thing Fripp turned it down, and Howe took the job!

Nipsey88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 15:52
I've never been in Crimson, but I still hate Fripp.

Not his music, which is usually top notch, but the man. Just seems like kind of a pompous tool to me. I remember reading a Guitar article where the interviewer asked him about his (Fripp's) own invented tuning scheme and why he chose it over standard EADGBE tuning, obviously looking for a technical answer (it was in a guitar magazine), and Fripp simply said, "Because it's better."

What a w**ker.

Plus, his self indulgent live set opening for PT last year was interesting to no one in the club but Fripp, and even HE didn't look too enthused by it.

zaxx View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 17:17
Fripp, Wetton and MacDonald have worked together to record the "E-Scape" song on John Wetton's solo album Sinister... so I guess they don't hate each other.
Mongo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 21:03
Reminds me of what Jeff Beck said about Rod Stewart " we have a love/hate relationship, he loves me and I hate him"
"The options are ever fewer on the ground these days" Fish
 Post Reply Post Reply