Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStratovarius

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: should stratovarius be in prog archives
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [33.33%]
38 [66.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 11:15
Definitely not.  I can't find elements in their music that would justify any other categorization than power metal.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 11:20
Not prog metal, not even prog-related.
Draith View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 16:06
I'd say some albums of theirs could probably be catagorized as prog-related, especially considering bands like Masterplan, Blue Oyster Cult, and especially Nightwish being in these archives at all. I'd probably consider Elements Part 1 more progressive than most albums from any of those bands. The only justification I can see for NOT puting these guys in is that their music clings very much to power metal, but than again so do Kamelot, Symphony X, who are considered completely progressive metal. They have good song writing, some compositions on the longer side, and pretty well extended solos (especially from the keyboard) and varying tempo and mood changes within compositions.  I say Stratovarius should be placed in prog-related, but I definetly don't consider them progish enough to be in prog-metal subgenre, even if Queensryche is.
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 16:14
no, power metal often sounds like it has proggy elements, but very rarely do they exist (i.e. Symphony X)
Skoojoo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 16:35
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

no, power metal often sounds like it has proggy elements, but very rarely do they exist (i.e. Symphony X)

If they do, using Symphony X as an example, why are they in this site? or Kamelot?

Honestly, it seems some of the people here have there head in the sand and will rate music cause they have heard one album. While Statovarius' self titled album and a few othewrs may be far from progressive, they have some albums that are atleast prog-related, such as both Elements albums. And on that note,  How can Queensryche (whcih even most fans dont consider that progressive) be called prog-metal and not prog-related yet most of the people here wont even let Stratovarius INTO the lists, when they have even more progressive elements than them. The people dont consider them even the slightest bit "proggy" need to listen up  and lower their noses about 3 inches out of the air.

Edited by Skoojoo - June 26 2007 at 17:14
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 17:18
Stratovarius have extremely simple song structures ... even on both Elements albums. Maybe an inclusion as prog-related would be justified in the light of some bands which are already here - Nightwish being the most obvious example. Queensryche ... I don't see why one would use them as an example to compare with Stratovarius. IMO they are often bashed on the basis of Operation: Mindcrime which is admittedly not very progressive ... but albums like The Warning and Promised Land are. And let's not forget that the 1980s were an entirely different time ...
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 17:19
NO

My gosh they are just plain boring- and like Mike said above, rather simple.

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 17:21
To be fair, I only have Elements pt. 2, but I don't think I have heard many albums worse than that one. Not prog either.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 17:22
I guess that the impending addition of Blind Guardian will add some heat to this discussion ... Evil%20Smile
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 17:31
Stratovarious are a very borderline case, excellent musicians but mainly just strong melodies in their songwriting.

I would say yes to Blind Guardian though.
Skoojoo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 17:56
you call their songs boring? dude your tastes are limited to progressive and progressive only if you make a statemant like that. Their songs are far from simple, but then again all you know is stuff that is SOO complicated that you cant just have fun listening to music once in awhile. I like the complicated stuff alright but i know where to draw a line in fun and complex. Open your minds perhaps.... a centimeter and let the light in, there is more to music than just over-analysis.  I like Progressive music, but i am not about to prove a stereotype that progressive listeners are stuck up and snobby about how great their music is, because it isnt the only thing worth listening to.

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 20:46
Elements is not their best album... DESTINY is much better....Prog related wouldn't be out of place... Blind Guardian? Why not Stratovarius? And hell, nobody has heard the prog-related efforts by another finnish band, Amorphis, whose music is not limited to TALES OF A THOUSAND LAKES and are NOT death metal.... This band is even more prog-related than blind guardian or stratovarius... but in this discussion, I would have said no if blind guardian wasn't going to be included, but if they are, Stratovarius is more melodic, slightly more progressive (or related)... Yes, their structures are simple.... but that shouldn't be the only measure.... great bands like Blackfield couldn't be simpler than they are...
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 20:55
No.
ĦBeware of the Bee!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 03:02
Originally posted by Skoojoo Skoojoo wrote:

you call their songs boring? dude your tastes are limited to progressive and progressive only if you make a statemant like that. Their songs are far from simple, but then again all you know is stuff that is SOO complicated that you cant just have fun listening to music once in awhile. I like the complicated stuff alright but i know where to draw a line in fun and complex. Open your minds perhaps.... a centimeter and let the light in, there is more to music than just over-analysis.  I like Progressive music, but i am not about to prove a stereotype that progressive listeners are stuck up and snobby about how great their music is, because it isnt the only thing worth listening to.

The Elements albums *are* simplistic ... they may be symphonic and embellished with lengthy solos and unexpected drum fills, but it's still rather ordinary power metal as far as songwriting is concerned. I am many things, but not a "prog snob" ... but Stratovarius are really boring to me, I can't help it.Embarrassed
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 03:03
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Elements is not their best album... DESTINY is much better....Prog related wouldn't be out of place... Blind Guardian? Why not Stratovarius? And hell, nobody has heard the prog-related efforts by another finnish band, Amorphis, whose music is not limited to TALES OF A THOUSAND LAKES and are NOT death metal.... This band is even more prog-related than blind guardian or stratovarius... but in this discussion, I would have said no if blind guardian wasn't going to be included, but if they are, Stratovarius is more melodic, slightly more progressive (or related)... Yes, their structures are simple.... but that shouldn't be the only measure.... great bands like Blackfield couldn't be simpler than they are...

Blind Guardian will be included mainly for Nightfall in Middle-Earth - have you heard that album? I mean properly, with multiple listens ... Big%20smile
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 13:47
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Blind Guardian will be included mainly for Nightfall in Middle-Earth - have you heard that album? I mean properly, with multiple listens ... Big%20smile

Well, not that one.... Embarrassed

Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 13:55
Nightfall is to Blind Guardian what Queen II is to Queen.Big%20smile
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 14:13
We'll have to give it a try then... tell me, is it truly "proggie", full-100% prog or just slightly prog? Confused Well, better yet, is it really good or just by-the-books power metal with prog elements?

I like Stratovarius because of very string melodies, though Elements isn't really that good.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 14:19
^ It's ... a very unique album. It's most certainly not just power metal with prog elements ... they blended folk/medieval elements with melodic power metal, added very complex vocal arrangements and use unusual song structures (there are still choruses and verses though). They also managed to make the music fit the lyrics/mood ... the whole album has a very tight concept, based on the Silmarillion (Tolkien) with some narrative parts too.

Have a listen: http://www.myspace.com/blindguardian Smile
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 15:26
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ It's ... a very unique album. It's most certainly not just power metal with prog elements ... they blended folk/medieval elements with melodic power metal, added very complex vocal arrangements and use unusual song structures (there are still choruses and verses though). They also managed to make the music fit the lyrics/mood ... the whole album has a very tight concept, based on the Silmarillion (Tolkien) with some narrative parts too.

Have a listen: http://www.myspace.com/blindguardian Smile

better yet, I have a few extra bucks in my pocket, so the nearest record store (well, the only one where they sell metal and some (SOME) prog), here I go!

Oh, don't say "there are still choruses"...I couldn't live any metal without choruses... I'm a chorus man! Big%20smile (don't to be mistaken with a choir boy Tongue)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>