Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Buckethead Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Buckethead Prog?
    Posted: January 27 2006 at 17:29
The sheer variety of his music and the constant change ups makes me wonder, would he be classified as somewhat prog?
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 17:32
I heard one of his many "buckethead with friends" and although it is variable, it is not prog IMO
carefulwiththataxe
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 17:37

Does he really always wear that bucket? Is that his "thing"? Does he expect to be taken seriously with the bucket on? Is he challenging us to tune out the goofiness and focus on his chops? Why ,when there are so many Caravan, GG, Moody Blues cds I haven't heard that I know are worth spendng time with (not to mention good books to read), do I want to listen to a guy with a KFC bucket on his head?

These are my questions.

"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
Poxx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 17:55

Listen to Cuckoo Clock's of Hell. Now, that's how prog-metal should be done. The rest of his catalogue is also pretty progressive. One thing that is recurring on his albums, is poor monotone drumming - and that is the only valid argument for not classifying him as prog rock.

Originally posted by bluetailfly bluetailfly wrote:

Does he really always wear that bucket? Is that his "thing"? Does he expect to be taken seriously with the bucket on? Is he challenging us to tune out the goofiness and focus on his chops? Why ,when there are so many Caravan, GG, Moody Blues cds I haven't heard that I know are worth spendng time with (not to mention good books to read), do I want to listen to a guy with a KFC bucket on his head?

These are my questions.

The main advantage of wearing a bucket on your head in public, is that when you become famous, you won't have maniacs running around shooting at you/cutting off your hair, because they don't know what you look like. The main disadvantage, however, is that you will never become famous.

GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 18:47

These are my questions.

To say the least, the bucket is his "thing" and he refuses to take it off when performing.  He once got an offer to play guitar with Ozzy, but he turned it down because Ozzy wanted him to play without the mask and bucket. He also conducts all interviews with the press via a hand puppet.

As far as prog rock, It's questionable.  He's at least as prog as Vai, but every bit as doubtable, too.  I love a great deal of his catalog, and he does some interesting genre fusion, everything from shred to tribal breakbeat to all kinds of world themes.  I wouldn't submit him for inclusion myself, but I would back him up and review him if he were added.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Pafnutij View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 06:12

The bucket is the only prog thing about him.

Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 07:32

These are my questions.

Should I be answering questions posed by a fly with a blue tail?  

"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 14:58
Is a guy wearing a bucket on his head sane never mind prog
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 15:20
is prog sane?
Rising Force View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 01:53

These are my questions.

I feel the same way. I can't take him seriously. And the whole "chicken" theme is meh, not that funny. Nottingham Lace pwns, though.

Oxygen Waster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 02:06
Originally posted by Pafnutij Pafnutij wrote:

The bucket is the only prog thing about him.

That makes no sense.

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 09:50

Arthur Brown's band once featured a guitarist called Android Funnel "Because he's an android," explained Brown, "and he wears a funnel on his head." Compared with that, Buckethead is a model of sanity. Conducting interviews via a glove puppet is just engaging with journalists on their own intellectual level, after all (if it's a particularly unintelligent puppet, obviously).

I've heard him on a few things now, including the excellent Col. Claypool's Big Bucket of Bernie Brains, and he's a lot more than the mindless shredder I first took him for. I don't know if he's prog or not, but I expect to see his name cropping up as guest performer on more and more prog related albums in the future.

Edited by Syzygy
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Post Reply Post Reply