Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSeru Giran and other Argentinian prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seru Giran and other Argentinian prog
    Posted: January 29 2006 at 14:03

There's no denying that this is one of the most important rock bands to ever exist in South America. Members include the mastermind Charly Garcia (La maquina de Hacer Pajaros), multi instrumentalists Pedro Aznar and David Lebon, and a very competent drummer. It features a lot of keyboards, Flower Kings-style bass guitar, symphonic arrangements, and of course, its memorable melodies.

The music is a bit similar in style to La Maquina de Hacer Pajaros melody-wise. It is slightly less progressive and jazzy, but makes up for it with its brilliant songs. The first album "Seru Giran" is in my opinion the best album to ever come from South America, and I promise I am not biased just because I am from Argentina. The beautiful Eiti Leda is a prog epic as good as the timeless Bohemian rhapsody or Stairway to Heaven. Seru Giran is another prog epic surpassing 7 minuntes in length and all the other songs are great to say the least. The other albums are not masterpieces, but have more of a prog feel (especially "Bicicleta")

This is the band that represent what art rock is about in Argentina. Usually Named as the "Argentine Beatles", I think it should not be left out of prog archives. PROG RELATED or SYMPHONIC ROCK

Other worthy mentions are:

_Sui Generis : Charly Garcia's first band. Prog influenced folk/rock with analog synthesizer and some brilliant moments. There is a 25+ minunte long track in a live album that shows ana amazing 10 minute long keyboard solo that reminds me of Wakeman's wankfests. PROG RELATED or PROTO PROG

_Luis Spinetta: As a solo artist, he has revolutionized rock in Argentina with his first album in the late 60s. He has quite a few prog albums. The highlight should be "pescado rabioso" with its epic masterpiece "Serpiente a la sal", "durazno sangrgante" with its 15+ long epic and other prog tracks, "artaud" as an all around great album with a prog track, and his debut. PROTO PROG, ART ROCK or PROG RELATED

Edited by Zitro
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 14:58

The only band I've ever heard from Argentina is Rata Blanca, usually compared to Deep Purple and Rainbow with great guitars... What do you think about? I fear that the band you suggested are difficult to check from Europe... Can you suggest any site where is possible to learn more about South-American prog-music?

Bye!

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 15:18

Thanks Zitro!

I am glad for this attention to the wonderful and often overlooked Argentine progrock scene! My favorite band from the past is Crusis along Alas, Spinetta, Pescado Rabioso and Aver Rock. At this moment I love to listen to Amagrama, Nexus (great vintage keyboard sound), Omnia and Bauer, the Argentine psychedelic/symphonic answer to Radiohead!

Hello Andrew:

I have written about South-American progrock on www.progwalhalla.com (English version, the South-America Files) but you can also check www.mylodonrecords.com. I will hear from you!

Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 00:24

Hey, Im glad you like Spinetta, pescado rabioso, and especially the underrated Crucis (which in my opnion has 2 of the best instrumentals I have ever heard)

Erik neuteboom, have you heard Seru Giran? It may sound accessible, but it took me a while to get into at the same time. I would put a link to their most famous song "eiti Leda" (a 7 minutue long prog rock epic), but I don't know if it's appropiate to leave a free MP3 ready to be downloaded on a public forum.

From Seru Giran, I recommend especially the title named debut, and Bicicleta

I'll rate each album like this:

_Seru Giran : 5/5 (perfection, my favourite album from my country. Melodies at their best, musicianship at its best, symphonic arrangements. Has the masterpiece Eiti Leda and an amazing closing track ... just perfection!)

_La Grasa ded las Capitales 4/5 (A very fine follow up, with some great tracks)

_Bicicleta 4.5/5 (A brilliant blend of melodic rock, vituosic musicianship, great lyrics, and prog rock)

_Peperina 3/5 (It is pretty good, but nowhere as great as Bicicleta. Less proggy, a bit cheesy, and more poppy)

_No Lloren por mi Argentina 3/5 (Pedro aznar leaves!! The final live show from the band before the break up. Pretty good. It has some new tracks)

_Seru '92 : 2.5/5 (Disappointing album that had great the lineup. Aa little better than the average Rock/pop, but still ...)

Edited by Zitro
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 03:54

A few months ago a friend of mine (who owns a progrock cd/dvd mailorder service) has made an extensive mailorder by Mylodon Records. He made a deal to get a lot of Argentine (prog)rock bands for bargain prices so I got the opportunity to listen to all those fine Argentine bands but unfortunately no Seru Giran ! And at this moment we have a huge problem with extra fees/charges for import, it's almost impossible for my friend to benefit from an order from South-America. I will look after their eponymous album after reading your recommendations, thanks!

By the way, you should give the Spanish progrock/Rock Andaluz a chance. I have opened a thread (see polls), I would like ro recommend some bands like Triana, Cai and Crack. Which bands do you know?

Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 13:36

To tell you the truth, I never checked out bands from Spain. I know none.

i'll check out one or two of the highest rated ones after my next paycheck.

Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 17:52

http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=21SUK81Q6EL791C19AJ57943D 6

Only available for one week.

This is Eiti Leda, Seru Giran's most popular song. It represents their sound as well as Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven or Pink floyd's comfortly numb.

Post Reply Post Reply