FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReally good albums from the ’60’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Really good albums from the ’60’s
    Posted: February 02 2006 at 21:46

I was bored the other day, so I decided to compile a list of abums from the 1960's that I considder to be master pieces. 

Here's the list!

• We're Only in it for the Money                Frank Zappa& the Mothers of Invention
  • Trout Mask Replica                                   Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band
  • White Light/White Heat                                   The Velvet Underground
  • The Villiage Green Preservation Socioty                      The Kinks
  • Easter Everywhere                                            The 13th Floor Elevators
  • After Bathing at Baxter's                                    The Jefferson Airplane
  • Kick Out the Jams                                                      The MC5
  • Forever Changes                                                                Love
  • The Doors                                                                      The Doors
  • In The Court of the Crimson King                              King Crimson
  • Blonde On Blonde                                                          Bob Dylan
  • Electric Ladyland                                                           Jimi Hendrix
  • Ogden's Nut Gone Flake                                        The Small Faces
  • Let It Bleed                                                          The Rolling Stones
  • Disraeli Gears                                                                     Cream
  • I Got Dem Ol' Kozmic Blues Again, Mama!                      Janis Joplin
  • Astral Weeks                                                                Van Morrison
  • Bitches Brew                                                                   Miles Davis
  • Live Dead                                                             The Grateful Dead
  • Pet Sounds                                                                 The Beach Boys
  • The White Album                                                           The Beatles
  • Volume 1                                                                   The Soft Machine
  • Piper at the Gates of Dawn                                              Pink Floyd
  • Led Zeppelin                                                                 Led Zeppelin
  • Wheels Of Fire                                                                    Cream
  • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts club Band                           The Beatles
  • Willie and the poor Boys                                                     C.C.R.
  • Green River                                                                        C.C.R.
  • Touch                                                                               Touch
  • Volume 1                                                  West Coast Art Rock Experimental Band
  • Something Else                                                               The Kinks
  • Ssshhh                                                                        Ten Years After
  • Lief & Liege                                                              Fairport Convention
  • Unhalfbricking                                                           Fairport Convention
  • Surrealistic Pillow                                                        Jefferson Airplane
  • Shine On Brightly                                                           Procol Harum
  • In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida                                                        Iron Butterfly
  • Happy Sad                                                                      Tim Buckly
  • Local 1                                                                            Nova Local  
  • Shades Of Deep Purple                                                   Deep Purple
  • Ekseption                                                                         Ekseption
  • Free                                                                                     Free
  • It's All About                                                                 Spooky Tooth 
  • Love Is All Around                                                           The Troggs 
  • Tommy                                                                            The Who
  • For Your Love                                                               The Yardbirds
  • Uncle Meat                                               Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention
  • Oddysey And Oracle                                                       The Zombies
  • The Bluesbreakers Featuring Eric Clapton     Joh Mayall & The Blues Breakers 
  • Bert Jansche                                                                    Bert Jansche 
  • Five Live Yardbirds                                                          The Yardbirds 
  • High Tide                                                                          High Tide
  • The Sea Shanties                                                               High Tide
  • Phallus Dei                                                                       Amon Duul
  • Love Chronicles                                                                 Al Stewart
  • The Moray Eels Eat The Holy Modal Rounders              The Holy Modal Rounders 
  • In A Silent Way                                                                    Miles Davis  
  • The Fugs                                                                                  The Fugs   
  • The Velvet Underground And Nico                                  The Velvet Underground 
  • Freak Out!                                                      Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention
  • Featuring The Human Host & The Heavy Metal Kids    Hapshash & The Coloured Coat
  • Contact                                                                               The Silver Apples 
  • Revolver                                                                                    The Beatles
  • A Saucerfull Of Secrets                                                                 Pink Floyd
  • God Bless The Red Krayola & All Who Sail With It                     The Red Krayola
  • Wasa Wasa                                                                        The Edgar Broughton band
  • Music Machine-Patent Pending                                                   Johny Almond
  • Conspicious Only In It's Absence                                               The Great Socioty
  •  TheUnited States Of America                                          The United States Of America
  • Vincebus Eruptum                                                                         Blue Cheer
  • Paradise Now                                                                                Group 1850
  • Spooky Two                                                                                   Spooky Tooth
  • Roger The Engineer                                                                           The Yardbirds

Coments?  Agreements? Additions?  Please post sommething!

Edited by Bulbous 45
all toasters toast toast
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 21:47
How about Piper at the Gates of Dawn?
Bulbous 45 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 21:52

Hmmmmm, that is a really a really good one.  Don't get me wrong, Pink Floyd with Syd Barrett was great, but I personally think that Pink Floyd was not at their creative peak in the '60's, like many of the listed groups.

all toasters toast toast
Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 21:56
I have one addition I can think of at the moment.

The West Coast Art Rock Experimental Band-Vol. 1

Also, you may as well go ahead and add Soft Machine's Vol. 1 while you're at it.
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 22:02
Originally posted by Bulbous 45 Bulbous 45 wrote:

Hmmmmm, that is a really a really good one.  Don't get me wrong, Pink Floyd with Syd Barrett was great, but I personally think that Pink Floyd was not at their creative peak in the '60's, like many of the listed groups.

That may be true, but it's still a masterpiece of the sixties.

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 22:03

Originally posted by meurglysIII meurglysIII wrote:

I have one addition I can think of at the moment.

The West Coast Art Rock Experimental Band-Vol. 1

Also, you may as well go ahead and add Soft Machine's Vol. 1 while you're at it.

Great Idea. Volume 1 is a great album.  I had just listened to that one a few weeks ago.  I can safely say that I've never heard of the first band that you mentoned; I will have to look them up.

all toasters toast toast
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 22:08
Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

Okay, I guess I'll add it in any way

all toasters toast toast
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 22:13

Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

Okay, I guess I'll add it in any way

Cool.

Mongo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 22:37

Creedence- Green River

Creedence Willie and the Poor Boys

Yardbirds- Roger the Engineer

Led Zep- Led Zep

Sabbath-Black Sabbath

Beatles-Sgt. Pepper

"The options are ever fewer on the ground these days" Fish
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 22:42
Originally posted by Mongo Mongo wrote:

Creedence- Green River

Creedence Willie and the Poor Boys

Yardbirds- Roger the Engineer

Led Zep- Led Zep

Sabbath-Black Sabbath

Beatles-Sgt. Pepper

Those sound like some pretty good ones, I will definately add the Zep, Beatle and Sabbath albums. I'll put in those Creedence ones too.  I'm going to get Roger the Engineer through my tow's library, after I give it a good listening to I will considder putting it on the list.

Edited by Bulbous 45
all toasters toast toast
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 23:08

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 23:23
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

TOUCH!!!!!

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_CD. asp?cd_id=7321

I've never even heard of Touch, but judging from that review it must be good, so I'll add it to the list

all toasters toast toast
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 03:13
High Tide - Sea Shanties (1969)
High Tide - Same (1969)
Amon Düül 2 - Phallus Dei (1969)

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 15:55

One of the classic 60s albums 'Oddesey And Oracle' by The Zombies isn't mentioned; this is a flawless album that influenced the prog genre somewhat with its swathes of mellotrons and conceptual feel, as many songs have a similar feel throughout.

Procol Harum's 'Shine On Brightly' is another great proto prog effort; it features a very early attempt at a side long epic in 'In Held 'Twas In I' which still holds up stunningly well; there was an excellent cover on Transatlantic's superb debut 'SMPTe' a few years ago that's testiment to this.

'Bluesbreakers Featuring Eric Clapton' by John Mayall's Bluesbreakers is a vitally important album too; it redefined the guitar totally, and is one of the more consistent blues rock albums of the era too.

Bert Jansch's eponymous debut is a real stunner; recorded on the cheap on very basic equipment, yet this added to the appeal and has a really stark, emotional power, none more so than on the haunting 'Needle Of Death'.

Sticking with folk, 'Liege And Lief' and 'Unhalfbricking' by Fairport Convention, alongside 'Basket Of Light' by Pentangle and 'The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter' by Incredible String Band are essential items; check out 'Love Chronicles' by Al Stewart and 'Folkjokepous' by Roy Harper for more overlooked albums.

The Yardbirds' 'Five Live Yardbirds' is still one of the better live albums for me, having a genuine raw energy that many don't. Also, 'SF Sorrow' by The Pretty Things and 'Something Else' by The Kinks are pretty essential.

I'll doubtless think of more...

lubin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 16:45

Iron Butterfly -In -A -Gadda -Da -Vida

Atomic Rooster - Atomic Rooster

Mountain - Flowers Of Evil

Brainbox - Brainbox

Nova Local - Nova 1

Cream - Wheels Of Fire

Crosby,Stills,Nash & Young - Deja Vu

Deep Purple - Shades Of Deep Purple

Ekseption - Ekseption

Free - Free

Shocking Blue - Shocking Blue

Spooky Tooth - It`s All About Spooky Tooth

Ten Years After  - Ssssh

Troggs - Love Is All Around

Van Der Graaf Generator - H To He Who Am The Only One

Who - Tommy

Yardbirds - For Your Love

lubin
AngelRat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 16:48

Wasn't Black Sabbath's first album from 1970?

I would like to add The Mothers' "Uncle Meat" (1969).

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 17:31
Originally posted by lubin lubin wrote:

Van Der Graaf Generator - H To He Who Am The Only One

That album is from 1970, but "The Aerosol Grey Machine" is from 1969.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 18:36
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

One of the classic 60s albums 'Oddesey And Oracle' by The Zombies isn't mentioned; this is a flawless album that influenced the prog genre somewhat with its swathes of mellotrons and conceptual feel, as many songs have a similar feel throughout.

Procol Harum's 'Shine On Brightly' is another great proto prog effort; it features a very early attempt at a side long epic in 'In Held 'Twas In I' which still holds up stunningly well; there was an excellent cover on Transatlantic's superb debut 'SMPTe' a few years ago that's testiment to this.

'Bluesbreakers Featuring Eric Clapton' by John Mayall's Bluesbreakers is a vitally important album too; it redefined the guitar totally, and is one of the more consistent blues rock albums of the era too.

Bert Jansch's eponymous debut is a real stunner; recorded on the cheap on very basic equipment, yet this added to the appeal and has a really stark, emotional power, none more so than on the haunting 'Needle Of Death'.

Sticking with folk, 'Liege And Lief' and 'Unhalfbricking' by Fairport Convention, alongside 'Basket Of Light' by Pentangle and 'The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter' by Incredible String Band are essential items; check out 'Love Chronicles' by Al Stewart and 'Folkjokepous' by Roy Harper for more overlooked albums.

The Yardbirds' 'Five Live Yardbirds' is still one of the better live albums for me, having a genuine raw energy that many don't. Also, 'SF Sorrow' by The Pretty Things and 'Something Else' by The Kinks are pretty essential.

I'll doubtless think of more...

Those are all great albums!

DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 00:13

good thread!

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign

Edited by DallasBryan
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member