Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedELO in PA? Gimme justice!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ELO in PA? Gimme justice!
    Posted: February 03 2006 at 03:11

Sometimes I fail to understand Band Admission Team logic.

If you consider ELO to be prog-related so

(I know it has been discussed lots of times but still!!)

WHERE IS ZEPPELIN???????

Many many people agree with this...

PF, Genesis, KC, Yes, VdGG, GG, Camel, Jethro Tull
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 05:27
How do you know that Led Zeppelin won't appear here? We don't have a magic wand which we wave and all possible bands appear in PA with discographys and Biographies. It takes work! Work which many dedicated Collaborators are attempting to do in their own free time. So give us a break.
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 05:46

^^ Yes, I agree with that statement (Snowie)!!

Zepellin could appear in the archives (only time would tell!!), if you feel a band should be  added then use the band submissions procedure (ps Make sure the band is PROG or PROG Related)!!!

ELO used a lot of Prog Elements in their music.

CYMRU AM BYTH
dima_olkov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 05:57

OK, guys.. take it easy ;-)))

I simply think that if Deep Purple and Queen are here being classical rock bands Zeps also should be in PA - with no doubt they are not less prog-related as two above.

BTW, have you heard of a bulgarian band called FSB (Formazia Studio Balkanton)? They have been making great prog stuff in late 70's including some GG covers.

PF, Genesis, KC, Yes, VdGG, GG, Camel, Jethro Tull
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 05:59
^^ OK I too would like to see Zep (especially Houses of Holy, Physical Griffitti and Zoso (IV) but I think it more important to add more Prog bands first that may not be in the archives!!!
CYMRU AM BYTH
proger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 07:08
ELO has a great prog related songs...
...live for tomorrow...
RoyalJelly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 09:08
    And lots of horribly cheesy ones, ugghhh.....
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 09:43
I don't understand why the presence of some bands in PA upsets some people. It's so easy to skip information on artists you dislike.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 11:34

For all the disbelievers:

Electric Light Orchestra* - Electric Light Orchestra No Answer album review and track listing ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA* - Electric Light Orchestra (No Answer)
Review (Permanent link) by Hugues Chantraine @ 2:43:44 AM EST, 2/28/2006
SPECIAL COLLABORATION
4 stars  —   4,5 stars really!!!!

With its ridiculous title coming from a complete cross-Atlantic misunderstanding (the album got named after the “no answer” response to the US label wondering on the album title), ELO’s first album is one of the hardest album to get into due to the poor sound and muddy production, but it is much worth the patience as the music is definitely prog with its heavy classical music instrumentation ala Eleanor Rigby (just listen to Look At Me Now to get a peak into the album’s key), but unfortunately too often disregarded due to their later almost disco-like career of the late 70’s.

Many of the band’s harder edged sounds are coming from Roy Wood’s mad musical ideas (Wood was the man behind The Move – one of the craziest psych groups around the late 60’s) while Jeff Lynne (who came from Idle Race) was more Beatles- inspired. One of the most endearing musical characteristics of ELO’s first two albums are the Renaissance influences, much the same way Gryphon was also greatly under the spell of. Just listen to Battle Of Marston Moor or their surprise hit 10538 Overture, just to get an idea. Marston is an astounding piece of music every proghead must listen, while First Movement is reminiscent of Focus’s Sylvia or House Of The King. Mr Radio is the typically Beatles-influenced Lynne track but again with a much proggier twist. Manhattan Rumble starts off as a sombre war march and is another superb and instrumental track while Queen Of The Hours is yet another highlight with again Roy wood doing the bundle of the instrument playing (he handles almost all the classical instrument bar the odd horn and the violin. The album closes on a minor composition, but cannot stop the open-minded progheads to think that this might just be an essential album.

The songwriting is almost divided in half (Lynne 5 to Wood’s 4) but clearly on the arrangement’s side, Wood was the man behind the album and Lynne’s poppier tracks are heavily infested by Wood’s instrumentation.

Weirdly enough, Wood who had worked so hard and against all odds to form this group will leave the group after this debut album, to found his RW’s Wizzard (a rockier Renaissance music group), leaving Lynne take care of the band and ELO will have a long and varied career with many highlights, but also some disgustingly commercial success. To all progheads dismissing ELO, they’d better listen to this album to swallow back their words in complete shame. Much worth its fourth star and even another half one.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 11:58
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Electric Light Orchestra* - Electric Light Orchestra No Answer album review and track listing ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA* - Electric Light Orchestra (No Answer)
SPECIAL COLLABORATION

With its ridiculous title coming from a complete cross-Atlantic misunderstanding (the album got named after the “no answer” response to the US label wondering on the album title), ELO’s first album is one of the hardest album to get into due to the poor sound and muddy production, but it is much worth the patience as the music is definitely prog with its heavy classical music instrumentation ala Eleanor Rigby (just listen to Look At Me Now to get a peak into the album’s key), but unfortunately too often disregarded due to their later almost disco-like career of the late 70’s.

Many of the band’s harder edged sounds are coming from Roy Wood’s mad musical ideas (Wood was the man behind The Move – one of the craziest psych groups around the late 60’s) while Jeff Lynne (who came from Idle Race) was more Beatles- inspired. One of the most endearing musical characteristics of ELO’s first two albums are the Renaissance influences, much the same way Gryphon was also greatly under the spell of. Just listen to Battle Of Marston Moor or their surprise hit 10538 Overture, just to get an idea. Marston is an astounding piece of music every proghead must listen, while First Movement is reminiscent of Focus’s Sylvia or House Of The King. Mr Radio is the typically Beatles-influenced Lynne track but again with a much proggier twist. Manhattan Rumble starts off as a sombre war march and is another superb and instrumental track while Queen Of The Hours is yet another highlight with again Roy wood doing the bundle of the instrument playing (he handles almost all the classical instrument bar the odd horn and the violin. The album closes on a minor composition, but cannot stop the open-minded progheads to think that this might just be an essential album.

The songwriting is almost divided in half (Lynne 5 to Wood’s 4) but clearly on the arrangement’s side, Wood was the man behind the album and Lynne’s poppier tracks are heavily infested by Wood’s instrumentation.

Weirdly enough, Wood who had worked so hard and against all odds to form this group will leave the group after this debut album, to found his RW’s Wizzard (a rockier Renaissance music group), leaving Lynne take care of the band and ELO will have a long and varied career with many highlights, but also some disgustingly commercial success. To all progheads dismissing ELO, they’d better listen to this album to swallow back their words in complete shame. Much worth its fourth star and even another half one.

Yes, I absolutely agree with this. This LP is some of the best, most innovative, most eye-openingly varied and creative prog rock music period. ELO's early LPs can stand with the best art rock (or whatever subgenre of prog you wish to use) ever composed. ELO is not prog related. Their music is progressive rock, regardless of how commercial their later music became.

"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 12:52

Eventually, all artists will be added, I'm sure....Ermm

Wink Just kidding -- or am I? Stern Smile

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 13:00
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Eventually, all artists will be added, I'm sure....Ermm

Wink Just kidding -- or am I? Stern Smile

Yes, that does seem to be the trend, but nonetheless, ELO belongs in PA, and not just as "prog related."

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 04:11

I'll get this thread out of this forum, simply misplaced

But as far as ELO's prog contents, I would say that:

their first album is 100%,

their Second is 70%, ,

Third Day is 70%,

Eldorado is 70%,

Face The Music is 40%

New World Record and Out Of The Blue are 20% but by this time they had been taken over by the disco craze, but this disco thing influences on their work will not occur until after OOTB

Edited by Sean Trane
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 04:13
Originally posted by bluetailfly bluetailfly wrote:

SPECIAL COLLABORATION

Yes, I absolutely agree with this. This LP is some of the best, most innovative, most eye-openingly varied and creative prog rock music period. ELO's early LPs can stand with the best art rock (or whatever subgenre of prog you wish to use) ever composed. ELO is not prog related. Their music is progressive rock, regardless of how commercial their later music became.

HOWEVER:

WARNING: even remastered, this debut and its follow-up need an excellent stereo system!! Avoid the car stereo or the computer or even a ghetto blaster or a midi stereo. It needs the real stuff to unfold its brute beauty.

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 05:50

Come on guys ,

Argue with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 11:51

Come on guys ,

You want an argument? I'll argue with you...

I think "El Dorado" is 100% prog rock ("art rock" to be specific), not 70%.

There! Take that!  

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 18:35

Come on guys ,

There! Take that!  

hahahah... me too..

I'd like to hear the 30% of ELO 2 that isn't prog.. granted it may not be the best prog ever done.  Lord knows I agree about the horrid quality of the recording... especially Lynne's vocals.  But that was a 100% prog album. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 14:16
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Come on guys ,

There! Take that!  

hahahah... me too..

I'd like to hear the 30% of ELO 2 that isn't prog.. granted it may not be the best prog ever done.  Lord knows I agree about the horrid quality of the recording... especially Lynne's vocals.  But that was a 100% prog album. 

Great Two Arguments

I will re-listen to Eldorado this week for ithas been over 20 years I heard it last, I rented it from the library and I might just review that percentage>>> not saying in which direction , though

As for ELO 2 , just because they added the Fifth's intro to a Chuck Berry RnR number does not make it prog

But the album is still good, just much simpler than the debut, and they have a hard time digesting Wood's departure

Thanks for the responses

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 14:30

As for ELO 2 , just because they added the Fifth's intro to a Chuck Berry RnR number does not make it prog

But the album is still good, just much simpler than the debut, and they have a hard time digesting Wood's departure

Thanks for the responses

I figured that was coming   though taking those cellos and violins, along with a nice intro like that, into a Chuck Berry RnR number makes it prog to me.   Then again I have a rather broad notion of what is prog and is not... 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 14:35

ELDORADO sounds like a poor-man's 70's Sgt Pepper to me.I've just listened to it on Napster.

Of course that does not preclude it from being on Prog Archives,but at times it does seem far removed from what one would normally imagine Prog Rock to me.

However,they haven't been added as a Prog Rock band and we should remember that when judging their inclusion.

Now I can get "I Cant Get It Out Of My Head" out my head....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>