Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTommy-Who sings in this tune?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tommy-Who sings in this tune?
    Posted: February 03 2006 at 14:36

Hi there! About one year ago I watched for the first time the film "Tommy" and I LOVED IT!! I know the story is weird, but somehow it works. And, of course, I really liked the music, so much that I still prefer the soundtrack version to the original Who's recording (sorry!). Why? Because of its more "proggy" feeling, with lots of synths and those instrumental sections. Also, I think Roger's voice is stronger in the film, I think his voice was better, stronger, in that 1975 recording.

After watching the film (and getting the sountrack) I got Quadrophenia and Who's next too, they're GREAT!! Of course, it's just rock, but VERY GOOD rock. And sometimes with a little touch that makes you feel they were close to cross the thin line... although personally I would not say the Who were a prog band.

Anyway, I need some help from you, Who fans In the film Tommy Clapton plays the preacher, but in the same song there's another preacher who sings some lines (starting with "She's got the power to heal you..."). Who's he? I've searched for some information about it but I haven't found the answer. And also, I like very much that part but it does not appear in the soundtrack! Does anyone know why?

Thanks a lot!

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 15:35
If I'm thinking of the right bit, it's Arthur Brown, as in the Crazy World Of...
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 15:35

As far as I recall, this was Arthur Brown in typically OTT vocal form. Brown made several great proto/heavy prog albums with his 'Crazy World Of Arthur Brown' and 'Kingdom Come'. Much his best albums are 'The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown' and 'Galactic Zoo Dossier'. As for that not appearing in the soundtrack, I don't know why; maybe there was some contractual differences in using Brown on the album. However, many soundtracks released on album differ from how they sound in the film; often entirely different versions are sometimes used.

Never did like the 'Tommy' film myself though; for me, it's quite the opposite and almost harms what was a towering achievement in rock music initially. The film is just excess in excelsis in my opinion.

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 15:44
I saw Tommy when it first came out and, at the age of 13 (and already a big Who fan), this was just about the most exciting thing I'd ever seen. For some time afterwards I continued to believe that this was a cinematic masterpiece, until I saw it again on TV when I was about 20. The soundtrack takes a lot of beating, but the film is just a huge mess despite some striking imagery. Ken Russell did make some truly great films about classical composers, though - I don't think he really got rock music.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 12:25
Originally posted by Carakhallo Carakhallo wrote:

Hi there! About one year ago I watched for the first time the film "Tommy" and I LOVED IT!! I know the story is weird, but somehow it works. And, of course, I really liked the music, so much that I still prefer the soundtrack version to the original Who's recording (sorry!). Why? Because of its more "proggy" feeling, with lots of synths and those instrumental sections. Also, I think Roger's voice is stronger in the film, I think his voice was better, stronger, in that 1975 recording.

After watching the film (and getting the sountrack) I got Quadrophenia and Who's next too, they're GREAT!! Of course, it's just rock, but VERY GOOD rock. And sometimes with a little touch that makes you feel they were close to cross the thin line... although personally I would not say the Who were a prog band.

Anyway, I need some help from you, Who fans In the film Tommy Clapton plays the preacher, but in the same song there's another preacher who sings some lines (starting with "She's got the power to heal you..."). Who's he? I've searched for some information about it but I haven't found the answer. And also, I like very much that part but it does not appear in the soundtrack! Does anyone know why?

Thanks a lot!

Actually, many of their ideas heavily influenced the prog sound. Inventing and developing the rock opera, making the bass a much more important instrument, having deeply spiritual lyrics in their work. (that last part noone notices, because their rebellious nature is so often at the forefront).

P.S. Everything by them sounds much better live, including Tommy. Find a live recording if you can. I can recommend Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970.

Carakhallo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 06:14
Thanks everyone! I guess is time for me to meet Arthur Brown, I have delayed it for too long...

And thanks FuzzyDude, I will get the Live at the Isle of Wight Festival, I really want to listen to a good version from Tommy
daz2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 12:06
Definately Arthur Brown! Just watched the remastered verion! Brilliant movie,Brilliant album etc
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole
 Post Reply Post Reply