Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Recommend...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 112>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Recommend...
    Posted: February 15 2006 at 05:12

I'd like to share some of the music I listen to and think deserves attention and appreciation of others, especially from PA members since I think it will appeal to them.

I have just proposed two bands for addition to PA and I'd like to avert your attention to them if you do not know them yet and if you do then you're welcome to share your opinion.

The first is Virgin Black from Australia. Avantgarde metal group, very experimental, but you might need some time getting accustomed to the singer's voice (I love it though). To date they have 1 EP Trance (1999) and 2 albums Sombre Romantic (2001) and Elegant...And Dying (2003). This is their website: http://listen.to/virginblack

The second is a prog metal band from Austria named Dreams Of Sanity, who disbanded in July 2002. They released 3 albums:

Komodia - 1997. simplistic sounding but the songs are very good, long and quite experimental. Two female vocalists give this album a very special feeling to it. album based on the Divine Comedy.

Masquerade - 1999. Based on the Phantom Of The Opera.

The Game - 2000. Another concept album.

A third band I'd like to suggest is not prog, but they are prog related IMHO. It is Neurosis - http://www.neurosis.com/ They are from Oakland, California. They have a hardcore basis but they develpoed to much more than that. They started as Hardcore which can be heard on their first album - Pain Of Mind. WHat comes after this is much more complex, filled with rage and anger, power and more.

Let me cite Brian Ross, founder of BNRMetal.com "they blend tortured vocals, tribal/rhythmic drumming, slow, dense riffing, and sampling effects to create bleak landscapes of sonic noise".

They have released 9 albums and one EP. I recommend all of their albums starting from their third - Souls At Zero. For the lovers experimental, angry and tortured music.

I would recommend this to people that like Tool, not because there is a similarity, but because people who love Tool can overcome the initial shock and/or repulsion people have when they listen to this (or to Tool).

That is it for now. I'll think of others for next time.

I welcome your responses

Edited by avestin
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 05:27
You're welcome to add your "I Recommend"s here.
moonlitbay View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonlitbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 06:33

I recommend (even though they are already present here on PA), the greek progressive metal group Wastefall. Their two albums "Falling stars and rising scars", and "Soultrain 21" are both very good indeed.

They blend aggressive vocals and soft vocals in a very interesting way. "Soultrain 21" is a concept album from an bus-accident in Italy where 21 young people lost their lives. Very emotional lyrics.

A reunion.......it will never happen in my lifetime!!
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinprog77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 06:34
I LOVE VIRGIN BLACK.AT FIRTS I REMENBER HATE SOMBRE ROMANTIC BUT AFTER A FEW TIMES LISTEN TO IT EVERYTHING STAR TO MAKE SENSE TO ME .NOW IS IN MY TOP 10 ALBUNS.IS REALLY UNIQUE AND BEAUTY MUSIC.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 06:40
Originally posted by moonlitbay moonlitbay wrote:

I recommend (even though they are already present here on PA), the greek progressive metal group Wastefall. Their two albums "Falling stars and rising scars", and "Soultrain 21" are both very good indeed.

They blend aggressive vocals and soft vocals in a very interesting way. "Soultrain 21" is a concept album from an bus-accident in Italy where 21 young people lost their lives. Very emotional lyrics.

Heard about them but not them, I'll try it, thanks.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonlitbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 06:59
Komodia sounds exciting. Any idea where I can get some sound samples?
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 07:07

^^^

I'll look over... If I don't find it. I'll use yousendit.com to send you some songs from it.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonlitbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 07:08
Originally posted by moonlitbay moonlitbay wrote:

Komodia sounds exciting. Any idea where I can get some sound samples?
There are no name on the band....
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 07:09

^^^

what do you mean?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonlitbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 07:16
If I'm not totally blind, there are just album names.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 07:21

I don't follow, do you mean members name?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonlitbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 07:33

The first band is Virgin Black

The third one is Neurosis

The second is....

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 07:36

How dumb can I be?????

I'll fix it right away

And the band's name is - Dreams Of Sanity

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 07:38

^^^

Sorry..... 

(laughing at myself)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonlitbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 07:43

All right...

I was starting to doubt myself. Started to have dreams of (in)sanity.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 07:49

^^^

Although DOS disbanded their still exists even if out of date: http://www.the-gothicworld.de/dos/

Don't seem to find any music smaples of them, so if you want, I can use yousendit.com to send a song of theirs. 

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 10:20

Here's another recomm:

Discus - Tot Licht http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_CD. asp?cd_id=5878

An Indonesian band in the RIO genre. Tot Licht is their second release from 2003. Crazy music that some compare to Mr. Bungle, however it is not a direct sound alike. Everyone in this band seems to be a lead vocalist and one of them is to my taste a bit annoying but the others inclusding the female vocals, are good. The songs are quite varied and change in mood, some very mellow, slow and relaxing, others wild heavy even slightly metalic in nature. I think it is a rewarding album.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 14:09

One more:

Azigza - Azigza http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_CD. asp?cd_id=2483

Not easily classifiable. Mixes several types of music genres - prog, rock, Arabic, etc and uses eastern instruments among others and violin, viola cello, harp, mandolin etc. The singer Cyoakha Grace has a beautiful voice. For some reason, it reminded me a bit of Led Zeppelin when they made some eastern sounding songs. Good album and worth a listen.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonlitbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 18:11
How does yousendit.com work?
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 02:11

I upload a file there and I give you the link to it and there you can download the file.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 112>