Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Recommend...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 112>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 02:14
I'm uploading a file now and when its done i'll give you the link. It is good for one week from the moment of uploading.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 03:45

If anyone wants it I can upload more songs to sample from the above mentioned artists.

I'll get home from work tonight and post another recomm and upload another DOS song I think is very good as well as that already uploaded.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:37

The following is taken from http://www.theendrecords.com/label_new/ :

The song entitled “Shortest Day,” from THE GATHERING’s forthcoming album Home, been made available for download at this location

http://media.theendrecords.com/TheGathering_Home_Shortestday .mp3

Home, the Dutch rock act's 9th studio release, is due on April 18, 2006 via THE END RECORDS in North America.

THE GATHERING – Home
TE065 | April 18th (USA/Canada)

01. Shortest Day
02. In Between
03. Alone
04. Waking Hour
05. Fatigue
06. A Noise Severe
07. Forgotten
08. Solace
09. Your Troubles Are Over

10. Box
11. The Quiet One
12. Home
13. Forgotten Reprise

Ever since their inception 15 years ago THE GATHERING have continued to evolve, never settling on one set style and rarely ever duplicating themselves. They have embraced change along the way and used it as a tool to feed their ongoing creative process.

Like their previous groundbreaking releases — their classic "Mandylion" (1995), the electronic dabblings of "How to Measure a Planet?" (1998) or the trip-hop/atmospheric warmth of "Souvenirs" (2003) — their latest album "Home" finds the band heading back to a bit more of rock vibe, yet still maintaining the delicate nuances and passages that fans worldwide have grown to love.

But the momentum here is not entirely based on emotional highs, as the band still manages to capture the dark spirit that most human beings have had to deal with from time to time. Variation has always been the key, case in point the diverse offering of such numbers as "In Between", "Shortest Day", "A Noise Severe" and the powerfully moving title track.

THE GATHERING will make their debut at this year's South By Southwest Music Festival in Austin, Texas on March 16, 2006 at Lava Lounge. Also participating are fellow lablemates GREEN CARNATION, UNEXPECT and GIANT SQUID. The band will also venture out for a small U.S. tour as part of their Homelands world tour to promote their upcoming album.

All dates with GIANT SQUID and UNEXPECT except where noted:

Mar. 16 - The Lava Lounge - Austin, TX (SXSW / THE END RECORDS Showcase)
Mar. 17 - The Masquerade - Atlanta, GA
Mar. 19 - Jaxx - Springfield, VA
Mar. 20 - The Middle East - Boston, MA
Mar. 21 - The Knitting Factory - New York, NY
Mar. 23 - The Big Bop - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mar. 24 - Foufounes Electriques - Montreal, Quebec, Canada
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:40

I wanted to recommend Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and then I found this news piece about them so here it is instead (again from The End Records):

THE END RECORDS is proud to announce the signing of San Francisco act SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM.

The band – who have already released two studio albums (2001’s Grand Opening and Closing and 2004’s Of Natural History), one live album (2003’s Live) and a DVD in 2005 - are currently working on new material and plan to release a new album on the label in the near future.

BIO

THE END?

The Sleepytime Gorilla Museum opened its doors to the public in 1916, only to show them a well-managed fire. Its doors were closed shortly thereafter and remained so for the rest of the century. Almost. The last year of the 20th century found the improbable trio of words once again adorning a placard posted outside a derelict urban building, with the addendum- "No Humans Allowed." Indeed, the awkward re-inaugural movements were witnessed by a lone banana slug (Ariolimax dolichophallus) -- a suitable beginning for a group that would soon shelter Oakland California's hindmost interpreters of Anti-Humanist literature.

Their incessant travels since 2001 have brought new life to the Movement. Like their namesake and its instigators (Futurist Lala Rolo and Black-Mathematician John Kane) the new museum embraces the essential weakness of the Movement. But also like their predecessors they reject the elitism of the avant-garde in favor of a reckless populism: They are entertainers. Though not without humor, their often wide-ranging musical and theatrical choices are rarely ironic. This sincerity extends to a passionate craftsmanship, as evidenced by:

1. The LIVE SHOW, a costumed festival of hyperventilating self-derangement, which has yet to include much of a puppet show, but has included human performers of varying stiffness (see Ink Boat).

2. The ALBUMS - Grand Opening and Closing (2001 Seeland/Chaosophy), a collection of boisterous laments for the failure of the millennial apocalypse; Live (2003 Sickroom), a collage of mishaps and singularities from various stages; and Of Natural History (2004 Mimicry), a setting, in part, of a debate between two contradictory pillars of 20th C. Anti-Humanism: The Futurists versus the Unabomber.

3. The INSTRUMENTS, many of which are homemade creations of bassist/producer/mechanic Dan Rathbun: The Slide-piano Log, the Percussion Guitar, the Electric Pancreas, the Vatican, & the Pedal-action Wiggler; or rare: Autoharp, Glockenspiel, Toy Piano, & Viking Rowboat.

4. The ROAD approached as (A) a place of potential learning: the bloody history of our doomed nation, its warm and varied current inhabitants- our hosts and their regional splendors, and (B) a scar which conducts us in our lumbering Green Bus into the temples of Nature: Forests, swamps, deserts, mountains, and coasts, with national parks and rest stops alike as places of reverence and study, sources of sound and vision, many of which appear on Of Natural History.

5. The FOOD, prepared on the bus kitchen in large pots, in quantities befitting a seven+ person crew, mixing local ingredients with reliable spices, beans, and the "other black meat"- coffee.

The Museum are unified in these various crafts by the simplicity of their opposition to rock music. In the words of John Kane, "Nothing should be left undone which might contribute to its demise." To this end they employ a most tried and proven destructive force: rock. ROCK AGAINST ROCK. In this they were preceded by Oakland bands Idiot Flesh and Charming Hostess, which brought together Museum members Dan Rathbun, Carla Kihlstedt (violin+), and Nils Frykdahl (guitar+). SGM's initial writings and first shows were with drummer David Shamrock. Drummer Frank Grau, who co-released the first album and managed the band until recently, instigated touring in 2001. Industrial percussion-tornado Moe! Staiano brought his visceral spontaneity from the inception until late 2004. New life has arrived with drummer/orator Matthias Bossi, who took the throne on New Year's 2004, and blossomed like a menacing jungle flower. Finally, with the Of Natural History tour of fall 2004, Michael Mellender, player of percussion and ALL THINGS, rounded out the Museum with his singular brand of hyper-kinetic instrumental dysfunction. The group writing process is at a new level of collaboration and the next album's songs are well underway. More U.S. touring is imminent. A European tour hovers. The stalwart Museum crew-- Neil Yamagata (sound/photography/field recording) and Allen Willner (lights/delicious stews) -- are ready for the road. 2005 saw the release of The Face, A DVD collaboration with Shinichi Momo Koga, The Last Human Being. A single 45 on Moe!'s label (Dephine Knormal) featuring SGM, Cheer-Accident, The Ex and Voodoo Muzak was also released.

In January of 2006, amidst a clutter of cheesecake and frozen champagne, SGM singed the eyebrows of Andreas Katsambas. Who threatened them with a record deal? And assured the Museum that his label has been and would continue to be called The End Records? The very same Andreas Katsambas. With his pen and on his paper, on January 3rd, the Museum, as a formal entity, signed with this eminently appropriate label whose commitment to the forthcoming apocalypse is without question. Ambugaton.

The list of SGM-related projects reads like a who's who of SGM-related projects:
Carla: Tin Hat Trio, Two-Foot Yard, Book of Knots, InkBoat dance theater company
Nils: Faun Fables, InkBoat
Matthias: Book of Knots, Skeleton Key, Vic Thrill
Michael: Immersion Composition Society, Japonize Elephants
Dan: InkBoat, Producing SGM and countless others
Moe!: Moe!kestra (massive conducted ensembles), Vacuum Tree Head
Frank: Species Being
David: Thin Pillow, Thinking Plague
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:46

Now I'd like to recomm a band which has captivated my attention last year - Agalloch.

They are a metal band that is progressive, folkish in nature with dark and gloomy atmosphere, beatuful electric and acoustic guitar riffs. You are warned that the vocalist's voice is a barrier to non-metal people (which I am not, so I has no problem with it). They have 2 albums and one EP. Their latest, The Mantle, is perhapse the saddest and most tender and calm.

Link to their page here on PA - http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=1933

I have added this piece of news from The End records regarding their next release:

Agalloch guitarist/vocalist John Haughm gives an update on their forthcoming album

“The recording process for “Ashes Against The Grain” was completed this past weekend. The album is currently being mixed and will hopefully be ready for mastering in a couple weeks. A studio gallery will be posted online shortly.”

Check out AGALLOCH @ Myspace.com: www.myspace.com/agalloch
moonlitbay View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonlitbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 12:27
Thanks!
I'll give them a listen and tell you what I think!
A reunion.......it will never happen in my lifetime!!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 03:54

Now, turning to a French band called Nil (as in Nile). Thay are listed here under symphonic prog, and they sometimes remind me of White Wiloow. They have a female vocalist who sings in french. I have their 2 latest albums:

Quarante Jours Sur Le Sinaï - 2003 (Forty days on the Sinai)

Nil Novo Sub Sole - 2005

Both excellent but different in nature bit not in sound.

Sinai is a long interconnected piece of music (concept album) with an elaborate booklet describing a story (in French and English) of a tale in ancient Egypt. The music moves between dark, slow and beatiful moves to more dynamic tunes and its never boring (to me).

Novo is made up of 6 pieces of music. It is this one that has music that remind me a bit of White Willow. The singer here does a superb job IMHO.

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=446

http://nilweb.free.fr/Nil.html - you can hear their music on their site.

They have two more earlier albums, which I have not heard so far.

this is them:

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 04:34

I just put on an album which I have not heard for a long time and it made me want to post it here even though I'm sure people here know it. I'm talking about MEZQUITA - Recuerdos de mi Tierra

Beatiful symph prog with Flamenco guitar and synth which brings in some Spanish folk spirit to the music. So you have an eclectic album with influences from various prog scenes (Engalnd, Italy and Spain).

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=457

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 16:03

Now for albums that don't invent anything new but they are still worth listening to.

The first album worth listening to is A Doorway To Summer by Moon Safari. It is symphonic prog, not very original in their concepts, so don't expect to hear something you haven't heard before, but they create beatiful music and perform it well. The first track Doorway may at first sound disaapointing but let it develop (11:36) and you'll hear it fills up with more instruments and morepassion. The second track opens beatifully and has a rich sound to it and switcehs to a nice acoustic guitar with keyboards tune with very nice singing and backing vocals. There is an opus of nearly 25 mins and I think it is a great achievement. Anyway, if you like Wobbler and Magic Pie I think this is for you.

http://www.moonsafari.se/

The second album I wish to introduce although many of you may already know it is The Allegory of Light   by Syzygy (named after one of the collaborators of PA  ).

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=714

You'll hear many familiar old prog favorites traces here (I'll let you figure them out yourselves). There are mostly instrumentals here and some songs (If I am not mistaken - 3). What I like in this album is that there are within the same song light and dark atmospheres and the changes between them are done in a good way that does not make feel it is forced. There is excellent guitar work and keyboard playing in here, you'll hear the musicians here know their instruments' abilities and try to make most of them. There are bombastic tracks like the opener (M.O.T.H - Master Of The House) and the last one The journey of Myrrdin (17:29 mins). And there is also slower quieter tracks like Forbidden. I know some people say this album is not original at all and don't like it for that reason. I differ on that matter. First of all I don't mind too much rehashing the same thing, although it can get a bit too much (i.e. - Citizen Cain). Second, I don't really hear where exactly the cloning has been done, though I hear influences and certain borrowed bits. Either way, I enjoy listening to this album and I recommend it to people who love ELP, KC, Yes (eclectic isn't it?) and Prog at large.

http://www.syzygymusic.com/

Enjoy

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 23:37

On my way to work this morning I put in the cd player yhe first thing that popped out of the cd case. It was Agnus - Pinturas y Expresiones . A very good Argentinian symph-prog album and as far as I know their only one. There is a heavy use of synth and flute here. There are beautifil female vocals (and male as well). Some people say they remind them of Italian bands. It is perhapse not the most original, but it is a very good adition to any proggers collection.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 00:34

I don't want this thread to become my personal thread, This is not what I had in mind. I stated in the beginning that I mean for everyone who wants to recommend something to add their post here. If there is an album you know of and love and you feel is neglected or unknown then talk about it here - a simle reference to its web page on PA would do. If there is an album you are really impressed with, le it be known or unknown, speak up about it and bring it forth.

Have a good day. everyone

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 02:08

Now, to something different than the previous musical recomms above. I know I have oushed them before in other threads, but I seem not to get any response (except from Jimbo) so I'll do it again.

The band is Hidria Spacefolk from Finland (what a great country, so much good music, not only in the prog genre). Instrumental space and electronic prog combined. Yes they are reminiscent of Ozric Tentacles, but you know what, I love them more.... More focused songs than the Ozrics. They have 1 ep HSPF-1 and two albums (third one on the way): Symbiosis and Balansia. The songs begin with a certain musical concept and then they evlove it and add more layers and ideas to it. On Balansia they perfect this pattern of musical composition.

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=1208

You can download their first EP entirely on their website:

http://www.hidriaspacefolk.st/

Go get it!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 08:25
Uzva - Niittoaika

One of the best bands from Finland these days, Uzva's instrumental folk-jazz-prog sounds very refreshing. Their style is somewhat reminiscent of bands like Tasavallan Presidentti, Mike Oldfield, Soft Machine and many others, but their sound is still pretty much their own. A wide base of instruments (violin, flute, clarinet, piano, acoustic guitar, marimba, vibraphone, cello etc), very beautiful and warm sounding music, recommended!

You can listen to a track from both of their albums:

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=1309

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 15:00

Thanks Jimbo for the recomm, I'll listen to them (its amazing how much good music comes from Finland, and not just prog).

I have just heard three albums and I thought I'd share them. the first two are from the same band:

Triana - Triana (El Patio), Hijos Del Agobio

As erik calls it - Prog Andaluz. Flamenco oriented Spanish prog. These are their first two releases. A cornerstone in this genre, even pioneers.

The third album is from the Finnish group Alamaailman Vasarat. BTW, Jimbo what does their name mean?

ANyway the album is Käärmelautakunta but their first one Vasaraasia is also recommended. Belonging in the RIO/avantgarde group, this band makes quite odd music, which I find excellent and easy to get into. Instrumental band, they have these sudden changes in tempos and sometimes play slowly or really fast. They play on various instruments. Here is their lineup so you can see those instruments. The saxes are a really good addition to the sound:

Line-up
- Jarno Sarkula / Soprano saxophone, Tenor saxophone, bass clarinet
- Tuukka Helminen / cello
- Teemu Hänninen / drums and percussion
- Miikka Huttunen / pump organ, grand piano
- Erno Haukkala / trombone, slide trumpet, tuba
- Marko Manninen / cello

Enjoy.

Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moatilliatta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 15:10

Neurosis is pretty cool...I like The Eye of Every Storm and Through Silver in Blood. I was never heavily into them; I enjoy related bands like Isis and Cult of Luna more.

I just bought Triana's El Patio, but I haven't listened to it yet.

www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
lesovation View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesovation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 20:54

Suggest you give a listen to a band called Variant. Nice original stuff. They have a CD called Beyond Jargon. You can hear the first couple of minutes of each song at www.cdbaby.com/cd/variant

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 23:48

to Moatilliatta - I also love the Isis and Cult of luna. Regarding Neurosis, may I suggest the album - Souls At Zero, their third releaese. their first album which really shows their current tendencies and abilities.

to lesovation, thanks for the tip, I'll listen to them.

To all, if anyone wants to listen to a sample song or two from each of the albums mentioned above (or other) PM me and I'll send it throguh yousendit.com

Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 04:22
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

BTW, Jimbo what does their name mean?

Hammers Of The Underworld

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 05:07

Cool name, although I would never have guessed it, I was in the wrong direction. I thought of something more delicate than that

Although it fits their music...

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 10:53

I am currently listening to an album I bought about a month ago. It is the album Cinque by Deus Ex Machina. Italian band which play wild music with jazz influences (they were recently moved from symph prog to jazz rock/fusion here in PA). Their music justifies their being in Cuneiform Records. There are violins, viola and cello here which are somewhat dissonant (and I love it). They change tempos often and mingle some fast and slow songs to keep things interesting. I can hear a bit of Mahavishnu Orchestra in here and for some reason it also brought to mind Comus.... The lyrics are in Latin, and the booklet contains translation to Italian and English. BTW, the booklet is well designed and there are beautiful drawings in it. I think this is an excellent album and the reviews on their PA webpage are more than flattering.

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_CD. asp?cd_id=1688

Enjoy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 112>