Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Recommend...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 112>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 13:41
Gong :  Camembert Electrique and Gazeuse  LOL
Help me I'm falling!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 13:58
^ Check out Gazeuse if you want to hear Holdsworth and Moerlen shine every once in a while.

I'm not very fond of the former record, though. 'You Can't Kill Me' is the only good track I found on it so far.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 01 2012 at 15:42
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 14:05
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

try Milliontown by Frost*
QUITE AN AMAZING ALBUM
HERES THE EPIC TITLE TRACK

This is a favorite if mine, but I was extremely disappointed in their second album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 09:58
I recommend ... Holger Czukay's "Movies".
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 08:48
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I recommend ... Holger Czukay's "Movies".

We can't suggest this here!

Trice will be upset!

The two long cuts.

Also nice and fun, is "On the Way to the Peak of the Normal" ... but both of these albums have a lot of fun/funny things that take away from lack of humor folks in the overly-progressive-folks club!

I also wanted to add Jah Wobble to the dirty bass club, but since that group is not interested in anything except what they want to post about ... I won't bother! And of course, they never even heard Bootsie and them Maggot Brain folks ... that bass, was not only dirty, it was nasty, and it was great all at the same time! ... but who's the progressive monster that is going to check out ... _____________ on acid! as Bootsie used to joke in those days!

Edited by moshkito - May 04 2012 at 08:48
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 10:34
^ I'm sorry, Trice is who?
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 10:49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 15:45
^ Doh!
HarmonyDissonan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonyDissonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 10:46
                 Dear Avestin,

Thanks for recommending these two fine albums. I listened to '...Sinai' the other day while arranging and adding alphabetically my long neglected Prog purchases. I agree that they are both very good albums, somewhere between 4 and 4.5 stars I would say. Here's are three albums your way. Although I like many genres and sub-genres of progressive music, my two fav.'s are RPI and Zuel and these are RPI. I'd be surprised if you aren't familiar with these but I had to mention them just in case. They are :  1) La Coscienza di Zeno - same
                                                             2) Pandora - Dramma di un Poeta Ubriaco
                                                             3) Pandora - Sempre E Ovunque Oltre Il Sogno
These are a couple of my fairly recent RPI fav.'s although given a little time to investigate further, I'm sure I could add several to that list easily not to mention a few French and Japanese Zuel recordings. Also, although I speak no other languages than english, I always enjoy the group I'm listening to when they perform in their native tongue. I especially feel this way when it comes to Italian groups. The language is so melodic and beautiful that when I find an RPI disc that I'm considering buying, it almost always disappoints me when I find that they're singing in English. Well that's it for now. Take care.

Sincerely,
                   Kim Jones Smile
Harmony and Dissonance
ProgBob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 16:34
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

try Milliontown by Frost*
QUITE AN AMAZING ALBUM
HERES THE EPIC TITLE TRACK

This is a favorite if mine, but I was extremely disappointed in their second album.

I'm not generally a neo-prog fan but something really grabbed me with that first Frost* album.  I agree about the second one. I also was very disappointed and consequently I didn't play it much. I should probably give it another try just to be sure I gave it a fair hearing.
Bob
Lightworker View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightworker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 12:10
Hey all, Im new to the forum and wanted to share with you this band and particular album I recently stumbled upon. Their name is "Enloom" and the album is "In the Lantern Cusp". As I said I am new here, so my mistake if someone has already covered these guys. From what I have gathered, they are a new band and this album is their first release. 

http://www.facebook.com/enloom/app_178091127385 ( here is a link to some music. The very first song isn't on the album, but starting from "Moonstruck Mind" and working down is the exact order of the album. )

I have been blown away by this album and simply want to share the wealth. All of the songs are good and there is a lot of diversity, but the song "In the Lantern Cusp" is possibly the best "prog" piece I have heard since the 70s. You actually need to start at "Hymn for a New Age" because it acts as an intro. 

"On The Prowl" also has that old school vibe to it that I really enjoy. 
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 17:26
Cardiacs - A Little man a nd a House and the Whole World Window
Wake_up_Nicolas View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wake_up_Nicolas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 20:58
I discovered the band 'Ayreon' not long ago, its so awesome!

Soft music mixed with really heavy metal parts, and quite epic at times. Melodies and note arrangement like you have rarely seen, and complex arrangements. If you like epic adventures and continuous stories over many albums, I suggest you go check it out!
fermax62 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fermax62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 10:47
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 19:43
Three StarStarStarStarStar albums I've come across on my journey through prog:

Quella Vecchia Locanda (RPI / ITA) - s/t (released in 1972): http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1137

Classic/rock fusion with some lovely piano, violin and Jethro Tull-style flute.

Weidorje (Zeuhl / FRA) - s/t (released in 1978): http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5596

A great introduction to Zeuhl, with emphasis on heavy bass and guitar.

Gotic (Symphonic / ESP) - Escenes (released in 1978): http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=3158

Dreamy instrumental Symphonic Prog with flute as focal point.

Recommended by The Bearded BardThumbs Up

Edited by The Bearded Bard - May 19 2012 at 20:53
bluejeanjunky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluejeanjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 09:21
My cuz gave me his copy of "Celestion", and man! I'm enjoying it so much!Anyone here who likes it too?

www.scarysquids.com

www.audiomasteringman.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 14:02
^ I can't find any info on it. Who is it by?
HWJD56 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HWJD56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 08:20
HERE WE JUST DREAM FROM BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS

http://herewejustdream.bandcamp.com/
HWJD56 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HWJD56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 08:22
HERE WE JUST DREAMS SELF TITLED DEBUT EP! herewejustdream.bandcamp.com
Charade View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 17:56
^ Not bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 112>