Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Recommend...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9091929394 112>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MindLess2991 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindLess2991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 17:13
Hello,

I'm kinda new here and I wanted to create my own thread, but I wasn't allowed, so decided to ask here.
Maybe someone could recommend some bands similar to Phideaux? I tried looking for similar artists on many sites, but with no luck (let's be honest, haken sounds nothing like it). Thanks!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 17:24
Originally posted by MindLess2991 MindLess2991 wrote:

Hello,

I'm kinda new here and I wanted to create my own thread, but I wasn't allowed, so decided to ask here.
Maybe someone could recommend some bands similar to Phideaux? I tried looking for similar artists on many sites, but with no luck (let's be honest, haken sounds nothing like it). Thanks!

I would say Phideaux are quite unique in their approach to prog, so trying to find any bands or artists that sound like them can be very frustrating. However, even though they not sound exactly similar, I would warmly recommend Discipline - whose bassist Mathew Kennedy also plays with Phideaux.
MindLess2991 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindLess2991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 04:41
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I would say Phideaux are quite unique in their approach to prog, so trying to find any bands or artists that sound like them can be very frustrating. However, even though they not sound exactly similar, I would warmly recommend Discipline - whose bassist Mathew Kennedy also plays with Phideaux.
That what I was afraid of, but thought that maybe I'm missing something, maybe some band is out there, that I've never heard of.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try to look into them.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 04:50
I agree. Phideaux is actually remarkably original considering how retro he comes off. I mean that in the most complimentary manner conceivable btw. I really dig his style and am never in doubt when I hear him. The vocals, but also the guitars and, especially, the piano add an unassuming uniqueness to his music.

Finding similar artists is actually very hard, but I do think the Swedish band Barrett Elmore comes pretty close with their debut 'Woodlands':

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 07 2014 at 04:51
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 12:53
I made the mistake of checking out some artists I wasn't familiar with at progstreaming, dammmit.  So here's my new discoveries -

Pymlico    Guiding Lignt
Electric Orange    Volume 10
Fractile Mirror    Garden of Ghosts

I also got some good stuff from artists I was already familiar with some thanks to progstreaming some due to a good word from artists I already knew.
Renaissance    Symphony of Light
Rothery, Steve    Ghosts of Pripyat, The
Tears For Fears    The Seeds Of Love
Pineapple Thief, The    Magnolia
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Kataklizm View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kataklizm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 00:59
New Album by En.TsFauna
https://entsfauna.bandcamp.com/album/play-your-game
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stereolab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 18:37
What do people think of the new Oneira release, "Hyperconscious":

Really digging it. Take a bit of symphonic, a bit of RPI, a bit of prog metal, even a bit of Rush, and mix it all together. "Feel-good" prog, nothing edgy, or dark, or overly clever... but done very well.
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 12:01
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I made the mistake of checking out some artists I wasn't familiar with at progstreaming, dammmit.  So here's my new discoveries -

Pymlico    Guiding Lignt

It's Fractal Mirror.
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 22:46

Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 11:24
Originally posted by Stereolab Stereolab wrote:

What do people think of the new Oneira release, "Hyperconscious":

Really digging it. Take a bit of symphonic, a bit of RPI, a bit of prog metal, even a bit of Rush, and mix it all together. "Feel-good" prog, nothing edgy, or dark, or overly clever... but done very well.

I liked it too.

Really liking this at the moment. Excellent symphonic prog. Good tunes, nice guitar and keyboards.

One of my Top 5 from 2014.

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 11:47
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Pymlico    Guiding Lignt

If you keep track of everything at Progstreaming, your wallet/bank account will develop a steady itch :-)
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 12:11
Originally posted by Duke of Rother Duke of Rother wrote:

[

Hmmm. I reviewed that one for Background Magazine last month. Skilled musicians, but not overly impressive.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
pierkezia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierkezia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 07:34
Kezia from Italy

https://www.indiegogo.com/command_center/kezia-the-dirty-affair#insights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2oJzz1vpBg
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 09:03
Originally posted by MindLess2991 MindLess2991 wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

That what I was afraid of, but thought that maybe I'm missing something, maybe some band is out there, that I've never heard of.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try to look into them.

You might want to give a listen to Heliopolis. Different sounding, but does have some of the same tendencies I think. You can listen here.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
DEn Kot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEn Kot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 12:10
new Multi-Style album.
Fatty guitar riffs, acoustic guitars, symphonic, cellos, harp, violins, chorals, basses, drums, synth ambinet.
deep work, diverse work.
has been given a lot of effort.

The Great Attractor

Edited by DEn Kot - December 19 2014 at 12:15
RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadLASER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 13:49
Robert Reed from Magenta. Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" and "Tres Lunas" style.

RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadLASER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 13:51
Merry Christmas from Latimer!

Edited by RoadLASER - December 19 2014 at 13:54
RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadLASER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 14:00
Thank You Scientis from USA.

RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadLASER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 14:03
Atlanter from Norway. Mixt: Norwegian & African

RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadLASER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 14:08
 Diablo Swing Orchestra

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9091929394 112>