Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Recommend...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101102103104105 112>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mrlintonsamueldawson View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrlintonsamueldawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 07:56
I just found a new german prog concept album I'd like to recommend. Style and concept remind me of Steven Wilsons hand.cannot.erase.

ProgAlia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgAlia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 10:44
this makes me shiver , excellent discovery !!
António Dias View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote António Dias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2017 at 14:44
I recommend the album "10000 anos depois entre Vénus e Marte"  1978 from José Cid. A portuguese album, quite unlikely but it's a great record!!!
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bertolino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2017 at 04:07
It is, i know,  an unusual way to insert myself on this topic. As a french speaking person i will try my best to express my dilemma; the question is how let people here know about an album that ,while definitely not qualifying to Prog Archives, is of HUGE interest to most prog archives readers. This concerns the famous "Cinq saisons " by Harmonium so highly ranked here. I've just edited my old review but as it has been erased from the front page review, there's no hope it could reach the masses... So i reproduce it here , hoping it will receive some attention and understanding. It is no news for all Québecois, but three years after the fact, i haven't seen a word yet on this site. So here i go: 
I'm a quebecois. I've written a review of this magnificent album years ago, speaking mostly of his social influence for a whole generation at that time.. As a guest, i supposed that, after a while, especially for frequently reviewed records, the older ones are suppressed. So , apart of repeating myself about his well deserved rank amongst the greatest prog achievements, quite uncommon for it's "obscure small area origin" amongst the UK , US and other RPI ones, i wish to add this time great news for those who fell in love for the band and don't know yet. 

You may know that, after a third record, Harmonium disbanded. Some, still  more informed, have heard that it was mainly caused by mental fragility of their charismatic leader, Serge Fiori. Recently he has publicly discussed the fact that a specific drug experience had caused a still damaging kind of paranoia which to this day,  prevent him to come back on stage. Very sad story indeed. After a duo, and a solo album, less and less interesting ones, that was it for him. Years of inner errance, ashrams, meditations had led him to a kind of peacefullness. Now here is the great news.

In 2014, having in his mind sufficiently recover,with  a bunch of songs about his inner experiences, mortality or illness of his parents, overall matters of an aging life, and helped by one Marc Perusse, a musician / producer responsible of some of the best pop/ crossover quebecois records of the last twenty years, he just came back with a solo album simply titled "Serge Fiori". If some of you think Harmonium doesn't qualify as prog', then forget any chance that "... Fiori" will get here anytime soon. Which is a shame in due respect to the administrators. That's why i'm posting this as this seems the only way to duly inform those that can't get enough of the Harmonium sound. 

Because while "Fiori" is not prog at all, it still has all the ingredients that made Serge's music great. First song ,"Le Monde Est Virtuel" is a tribute to the classic Harmonium sound, acoustic guitars, that typical line of bass, more in line with the first record, or the happier, upbeat moments of "Les cinq saisons". Then the fifth song is simply a gift of heart: Serge duets with Monique Fauteux, member of the third incarnation of the band; on "L'Heptade" that's her who is featured on "Le Corridor", apart of all her work as back vocalist all along the record. The song, entitled "Jamais", is simply gorgeous, shivers gauranteed. "Seule" adress his mother's alzheimer in such a sensible and moving way, you are bound to endless tears. Same goes for "Laisse moi partir" (let me go), about his father death. All very sad matters but in true Fiori's fashion, hope is there and the best is kept for the end: "Si bien" (so fine) and his coda "Epilogue" close the record in true uplifting fashion.

And how is his singing will you ask? Because true Harmonium lovers mainly enjoyed Fiori's vocal charisma. One of the nicest, most moving voice in prog or any genre for that matter. To the point that many of you, english speaking, don't give a damn about not understanding the lyrics, not even mentioning that there's always much wordless vocalising in Fiori's music. Here's the true magic: he hasn't lost anything! As an aging sixtygoer, think Peter Gabriel, his voice had lowered a bit, his comfort zone has narrowed, but he still can nail any of the falsetto pitch he tries. And the converted know how much it is part of the most beautiful aspect of his music.

I don't know if this review will be remove. I will adress this as a post as soon as i will submit it. I wish P.A . administrators will understand that it simply transcends the rules. It's a cause of heart, of love. We all need a Serge Fiori in good health, willing maybe to come back to stage for a last ride. Like an improbable classic genesis reunion. This is , in my mind , a matter of the true mystic of Prog music. Thanks for your attention.
45 years of prog listening and still movin'
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2017 at 05:35
Nice write-up and don't worry you have nothing to fear. This post/review will still be here tomorrow/next month/next year.
The review was removed because the album doesn't feature in our database. It'd be like writing a review for Phil Collin's Face Value under Foxtrot simply because Phil isn't listed here.

I understand where you are coming from but if Prog Archives condoned this form of reviewing we would end up with some very strange writings filling up the frontpage.

No worries though as you found another outlet for your review.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2017 at 13:47
Fred Frith wasn't there !

Clavian View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Clavian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2017 at 04:22
Italian prog!

Edited by Clavian - December 15 2017 at 04:24
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2017 at 07:24
If you enjoyed Zopp 

https://soundcloud.com/zoppofficial

you may also enjoy Zohmm 

https://soundcloud.com/zohmm
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2017 at 07:37
^ very cool Jayem. Nice rec. I follow Zopp :)
The Zohmm track 'lava' is very 90's Ministry inspired. :)

Anyway. To all who haven't heard of this band (UNREAL CITY)
Please check them out. I think they are the best sounding modern RPI band around.
Their latest album is FRAMMENTI NOTTURNI and it is my #1 album for this year, 2017.

Enjoy the music. :)

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2017 at 09:20
Ah nice to read this reply ! Thank you ! And hello... I'm catching up with your posts. A lot of music for me to discover – good to know ! Also, if you've posted something about your time in Nepal I'm interested. I've sure have enjoyed a lot of visits there... That is, Google Earth visits !!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2017 at 11:14
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

Ah nice to read this reply ! Thank you ! And hello... I'm catching up with your posts. A lot of music for me to discover – good to know ! Also, if you've posted something about your time in Nepal I'm interested. I've sure have enjoyed a lot of visits there... That is, Google Earth visits !!

Hey friend.
No posts of Nepal on here. I don't think anyone would care but I did listen to prog to help me trek/climb a few mountains. :)
Anyhow. Always tons of music to discover. It never ends, as you said. :)
If you want photos from my trip/adventure send me your email in my private message box on here and I can forward some cool shots I took of the land.

Enjoy the music as you are my friend. Stay cool as usual. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2017 at 12:25
Any Robert Schroeder albums.   Very similar to Tangerine Dream but also very original from TD music.   Huge discovery,  but looking at the PA site, not many albums?   
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 11:34
Here are musical trips with lots of developing loops of great variety of tones, instrums including synth sounds & EFX, and spicy harmonies. Sometimes very groovy though they don't blossom it up with the triumphing rythm section. Enjoy !!

https://bledarboraku.bandcamp.com/album/tha
ProcolWho? View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProcolWho? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 21:56
I just heard the new KAYAK album "17".

Very enjoyable, and as a KAYAK fan from DAY 1, I'd call it respectful of the early work.

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2018 at 05:22
Gorgeous Italian Prog Metal...

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 12:15
Sorry for the shameless plug but...
YOU LIKE CARAVAN? YOU LIKE CHIPTUNE SOUNDS?
Listen to this:

RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadLASER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 11:13
Brilliant release from IO Earth - Solitude. No videos on Y-Tube, but you can listen this album on Progstream:

http://progstreaming.nl/pages/play-album.php?activeAlbum=2018-01-28-10%20-%20IO%20Earth%20-%20Solitude

FrancGarcia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrancGarcia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2018 at 14:17
Hello! I want to recommend you this prog rock band from Leon, Mexico called Nimb, the have released their first ep called Corvus Corax. You can find a mix between progressive rock, progressive metal and post-rock. I hope you enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWQIjWfu2uY&t=2116s
abarrenada View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abarrenada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 16:14
Support this band from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico COLD FACTOR. Awsome band.

Edited by abarrenada - February 23 2018 at 16:38
amity62 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amity62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 01:54
Amazing band from Toronto - Half Past Four
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5AFe8MgRuQ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101102103104105 112>