Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Recommend...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 102103104105106 112>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
abarrenada View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abarrenada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 15:40
Greatly impressed
Prog-Brazil View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-Brazil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 06:41
Brazilian Artist Arnaldo Antunes (ex Titãs member): totally experimental album
Tracks
Momento I - 0:00 Momento II - 3:37 Momento III - 7:46 Momento IV - 15:20 Momento V - 18:47 Momento VI - 22:36 Momento VII - 29:10 Momento VIII - 35:39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fCRvccyhyQ&app=desktop
Let the sunshine in
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 07:03
Instrumental

Edited by MortSahlFan - March 05 2018 at 07:04
Progaholic2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progaholic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 08:36
Trespass - 'Morning Lights'

An utterly wonderful album in the vein of Trace, Focus, early Enid. If you like mainly instumental, keyboard-dominated, melodic, great (but brief) songs, buy this album. Made in 2006 but you would swear that its straight out of the early 70s. The track 'Ripples' is on youtube.
divad View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 16:04
I have been trying to navigate to Yes Drama.
I was amazed by this album. It is much better than Tormato or even the commercially successful Going For the One. The nice thing about it is that Buggles put a great stamp on Yes history. For the punk new wave era it bravely sticks to being interesting in a prog. sort of way. Of course it would be easier if were named Photography and started with Into the Lens which you get half way through instead. At first, I was puzzled by the first half - landslides of visual imagery with, of course, a brilliant band enthusiastically playing at its best- but then it makes you listen, like all the best albums, to it again and again. You then get all its glory. you haven't lived until you get Drama.
roncohp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roncohp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 22:30
I'd like to suggest Diga Rhythm Band. A history/discography follows. Their songs are available on YouTube. 

Diga Rhythm Band

This percussion-based group is led by Mickey Hart (drums for Grateful Dead). The band consists of 11 members: Mickey Hart (traps, gongs, timbales, timpani), Zakir Hussain (tabla, folk drums, tar), Vince Delgado (dumbek, tabla,  talking drum),  Jordan Amarantha (congas & bongos), Jim Loveless (marimbas), Ray Spiegel (vibes), Arshad Syed (duggi tarang, nal) and 4 other tabla players: Peter Carmichael, Aushim Chaudhuri, Tor Dietrichson, Joy Shulman.[2]

In 1971 Zakir Hussain selected 9 most talented percussion students at Ali Akbar Kahn College of Music to join him in the Tal Vadyum Rhythm Band, which performed once each quarter. The music from India had traditional rhythms with weird traditional time signatures, but they did not have a sitar. When Mickey Hart joined in 1975, he added American influence. They performed (backing Jefferson Starship) in San Francisco (at Winterland) on May 16 & 17 under a new name: Diga Rhythm Band[3]. Early the next year they recorded their only album <i> Diga </i> at Hart's studio (The Barn in Novato, California) and Round Records released it on vinyl in April, 1976[1] (It was remixed and released on CD by Rykodisc Records in 1990). Later in 1976, they released the single “Razooli/Happiness is Drumming”.[2]

The most complex track is also the best & the longest (12:55): “Magnificent Sevens”. My next favorite tracks are also long: “Tal Mala” (12:48) and “Sweet 16” (8:03). The 2 short tracks also have guitar, played by Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead: “Happiness is Drumming” (3:17) and “Razooli” (2:50). Only the shortest track has vocals, which are sung by Jim McPherson, Kathy MacDonald and David Freiberg.

In 2008, John Metzger (in The Music Box) reviewed <i> Diga </i>, saying it was "far ahead of its time"[1]. His comment suggests the album’s progressive nature! This is indeed verified by the use of different instruments, the Far Eastern influence on the rhythms, the odd time signatures, the variations within the songs, the expertise of the drummers, the increased song lengths for several songs, and the non-love song lyrics. The fact that the front cover does not show the band  also shouts prog.

Discography

<I> Diga </i> April 1976 on Round Records. 

References

1.       Diga, on Wikipedia. Retrieved March 5, 2018.

2.       Diga at the Grateful Dead Family Discography. Retrieved March 5, 2018.

3.       Diga CD liner notes

Toys View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 13:29
Has anyone here heard of Tetragrid?  Really talented prog-fusion trio from Toronto, Canada.  Can be found here:  http://splendidindustries.com/tetragrid

If you're big on advanced polymeters played by a super-tight and groovy rhythm section, these guys should be right up your alley. 

Edited by Toys - March 26 2018 at 17:20
Visit Splendid Industries for new prog and weirdness!
Follow us on Facebook!
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 16:59
The Tetragrid link didn't work but I enjoy this facebook video very much, esp the first seconds. Joy is there !! 

Toys View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 17:17
Oops!  Thanks for catching that, link works now.
Visit Splendid Industries for new prog and weirdness!
Follow us on Facebook!
toastpilot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 13:23
Single celled Organism-Splinter in the Eye
Really nice album, too expensive.12 euros is about $25 in my money.

Edited by toastpilot - April 13 2018 at 13:25
entropía View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote entropía Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 11:39
Hi there! I would like to introduce you a Spanish progressive/space/psychedelic rock band called entropía

Invisible is their first album. What influencies could you percieve (Pink Floyd, Doors, Bowie, Muse...?) Smile

Hope you will enjoy the trip!!

black_diamond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black_diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 18:16
Hi Guys,

Check this band out, Walls Of Babylon from Italy. Perfect for Seventh Wonder and Circus Maximus fans

https://www.facebook.com/progressivemetalfan/posts/1058728437613878
petarp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petarp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 19:32
A great band from Yugoslavia, album recorded in London in 1979.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X4h-Ko8LBw
Santar55 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Santar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 04:27
I am very surprised that this site does not include "Capture Light" by John Holden. For me this self released album is by far the best prog release (and release in general actually) so far of 2018.

John Holden is a multi-instrumentalist and composer but not well known, this being his first album. However the album does feature such prog luminaries as Billy Sherwood, Joe Payne (whose vocals are outstanding), Oliver Day, Oliver Wakeman, Pete Jones, Gary O'Toole, etc. SQ is excellent due to the talents of Robin Armstrong and Rob Audrey.

The album is available from Bandcamp or John Holden's website:

https://johnholdenmusic.com/

Highly recommended. Check-out the reviews on Progradar, The Progressive Aspect, Sonic Perspectives, The Prog Mind, Progarchy, Rebel Noise if you don't believe me!

Santar

amity62 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amity62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 02:44
I recommend the 1st and 2nd albums by Monika Roscher bigband

Edited by amity62 - May 02 2018 at 03:27
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 16:46

May we, or our mentors, discover this and describe the essence of that piece as powerfully thrilling with its tight harmonies / playing and sense of contrasts, in spite of the relatively unrefined rendering. One might also call the very clip as conveying a strong symbol of vertiginous dismantling of reality as an illusion. 

I esp. listen to the synth solo beat a couple of seconds before the move at 3'35 where the solo line goes crazy (before the solid rythm section contains it and it lowers down)
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 08:59
Broken Social Scene
More progressive that 99% of the current "Prog" out there.

karvool View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karvool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 02:11
Searched through forum, but haven't found this band.
Sometimes sounds like mix of Tool and Karnivool with addition of some tribal elements. Worth checking

Edited by karvool - May 22 2018 at 02:20
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 13:55
Crimeny

Does anyone remember this 3-piece band?  I think they had just one album, 'Peat'. I got it from a record company for my radio show in 1994 and just loved it. Still have it.

Edited by Braka - June 01 2018 at 14:28
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 05:57
Hey guys try Yowie if you want something adventures the new one is brilliant.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 102103104105106 112>