Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Recommend...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 112>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 14:11

For some reason it slipped my mind to mention two (of the many) favorite bands of mine.

I'll start with the band I discovered earlier and the second one I'll keep for next time.

The band is WHITE WILLOW. To date they have released 4 albums and they have enetered to the studio to record their fifth on 3/3/06. They are from Norway, and they play this melange of folk, symphonic and lately more hard edged prog rock. Their first album Ignis Fatuus released in 1995 is actually a collection of songs recorded between the end of 1992 and September 1994, recorded by several musicians involved in the band. White Willow is undoubdebtly lead by Jacob C. Holm Lupo who writes most music and lyrics and plays acoustic, electric and bass guitars and keyboards and does some vocals. He is responsible for the many lineup changes in this band. On Ignis this band reveals itself mostly as a folk rock band which creates mellow, slow music with much acoustic guitars, synths and some flutes and violins. Sara Trondal is the main vocalist backed by Eldrid Johansen. Her voice is beatiful while his is more suitable as a background not the main as is the case in "THe Withering Of The Boughts." The songs are all based around a main theme woth diversions from it or additional motifs added to it or there is shifts in the diredction of the music as can be expected from a prog song. But there is no jamming, no pointless playing around, they come and develop their ideas and pass on what they want to portray in this song.

Memorable tracks from this release are "Snowfall", "The Withering Of The Boughts", "Now In These Fairy Lands", "Cryptomenysis" and "John Dee's Lament".

Cryptomenysis is the best track and most proggy here. An instrumental which starts very low with an organ sound opening and then the rest join them with the guitar leading the way for the rest of the song.

This is a very relaxed and melodic album, very good to sit and relax with in winter nights.   

The second album is Ex Tenebris released in 1998. It is considered their weakest album, but I do not subscribe to this. This album is also in the folky vein, however it is more focused the its predecesor and shorter. Memorable songs are "Leaving the House of Thanatos ", "Helen and Simon Magus" and "A Dance of Shadows". Here again the songs are slow, melancholic and don't often get loose and there is a feeling of restraint in the songs, as if the band doesn't want to lose control over them, which leads to a maybe too conservative feel to it, but still a good effort in my book. Again there is no needless experimentation here. This album is the first with Sylvia Erichsen, which was their singer until their latest release. She has  abeatiful voice and it is presented at its best when she sings loudly and even screams a bit as she does in later releases.

The third release, Sacrament, is IMHO their best and their most prog release. In this album the production is made thus that you have to adjust the volume constantly because there is a constant shift from very low to medium and then to loud and back again. But be careful as this album contains many shifts in the songs. I'll give you two songs for example. The first " Anamnesis" starts very quiet with Sylvia singing with an acoustic guitar a tune that at 4:34 changes a bit with an orgue like synth and then at 5:12 the music bursts out with a big energy (do listen to it loud for the correct effect to take place) and the rest of the song continues in this way and with additional layers of music added to the main tune and Sylvia singing aloud, half screaming. Excellent track. Second example is the third track called "The Crucible" which starts with an acoustic guitar and a folk like tune with flute accompanying it. They play with each other and then the synth joins in and gives the music a gloomy feel to it and then the melodica joins for the final melancholic touch. Then at 3:21 the music changes aournd completely and comes in a beatiful ebergetic tune with the flute leading the way.

So you guessed these two are memorable tracks, But so is the two last tracks "Gnostalgia" and "The Reach". Gnostalgia is very relaxed and shows Sylvia performing a beatiful part on her behalf. THe reach starts with the nursery rhyme (ring around the rosies) and develops to a quite heavy prog song. In this album you can hear the start of the sound found in their following release - A heavier sound of guitars and more focused songs based around an idea that either develops and is added more layers to it.

Their last album to date is Storm Season. This is definitely heavier in rock sound. However, the music is still slow, melodic and of course gloomy. I haven't read the lyrics thouroughly but this is a concept album, but I am not faniliar with the details. Here Sylvia really shines. Here also joins Lars Fredrik Frøislie on all keyboards and he is from Wobbler. Memorable tracks "Chemical Sunset", Soulburn", "Insomnia" and "Nightside of Eden". The last one opens up almost like a metal song but proves to be an excellent track.

All in al,l it may not be the most original of bands they are not too complex music wise, but they do deliver beatiful music with much emotion and they play it very well.

BTW Jimbo, I know you don't like this band too much. I'm not saying they are geniuses but they do make very good music.

As I said above, they are currently recording their fifth album. Sylvia is no longer with them if memory serves me right. Anyway, I think it is a band worth checking out, and if folk music does not atract you, then I suggest to listen at least to Sacrament and maybe even to Storm Season.

Goodnight / Good day to all PA community.

Edited by avestin
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 01:51

Just a quick note. I just noticed that PAN.THY.MONIUM are on PA (recent addition).

If you don't like death metal, then skip this. I'll post my second promised recomm' later (as I said in the previous post  and it won't be a metal recomm so you can relax ).

This is another Dan Swano project (EDGE OF SANITY, NIGHTINGALE and other bands as well). Death metal essentially but with an avantgarde and jazz twists to it. very weird sound, death metal that doesn't stay on a steady line for long, always going in new directions and the occasional saxophone make it even better. The vocals are very gruesome, deep growls, excellent for these ears, but obviously not for the faint of heart. I only have Khaooohs & Kon-Fus-ion .

For the completely out of mainstream and sane music listeners.

OK, back to work now...

lesovation View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesovation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:39

Suggest you check out Variant - Beyond Jargon...new prog band...nice stuff...

www.cdbaby.com/cd/variant

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 11:03

lesovation, we got the point, you already posted this twice here.

Anyway, while I'm here let me refer you to some good recommendations made by collaborators here who mainly focus on the uncommon, not main stream and unknown prog groups from all genres and countries. Listen to their ecommendations/reviews. some of them specialize or focus on one or two genres in particular. It is thanks to their reviews that I started to discover many bands and albums. Many of their reviews made me look those bands up and listen to them, and I usually am not disappointed:

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_COLLABORATORS.a sp

danbo

Useful_Idiot

Certif1ed

ivan_2068

Sean Trane

Hibou

Cesar Inca

WiguJimbo

MikeEnRegalia

TheProgtologist

BaldJean

BaldFriede

erik neuteboom

Syzygy

Fishy

Trotsky

Starette

salmacis

Andrea Cortese

I apologize if I forgot anyone (probably did).

I know it may seen like a lot of work, but finding good music is worth the effort.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 00:23

To continue the reference to others, here is a list of threads that recommend bands and albums from different prog scenes (Spain, France, Scandinavia etc.):

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19836& amp; amp; amp; amp;FID=42 - French

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17840& amp; amp; amp; amp;PN=1 - Spanish

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7256&a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;PN=3 - Belgium (RIO/Avantgarde)

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19821& amp; amp; amp; amp;PN=1 - Scandinavia

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18860& amp; amp; amp; amp;PN=2 - Prog Videos on the net

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19749& amp; amp; amp;FID=3 - German Folk Prog

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20015& amp; amp;PN=1 - Russian prog

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20019& amp; amp;PN=2 - Hungarian prog

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19927& amp; amp;PN=1 - Japanese prog

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19985& amp; amp;KW=US+ US prog

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20104& amp; amp;KW=italian

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18490& amp; amp;KW=italian

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17371& amp; amp;KW=italian

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17066& amp; amp;KW=italian

Thanks for these thread starters, for letting us know of lesser and unknown bands!

Edited by avestin
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 01:06

A short post. I heard yesterday an album I ordered a while ago by ENSEMBLE NIMBUS from Sweden. The album I have is Garmonbozia. It is a band in the veins of RIO and some fusion sound in it.

This is a quartet featuing:

- Håkan Almkvist / guitar, bass, keyboard, tapes, loops, FX, voice
- Lars Björk / clarinet, bass-clarinet, altered clarinet, loops
- Hasse Bruniusson / acoustic & electric drums, percussion, voice (ex SAMLA MAMMAS MANNA and now Flower kings)
- Kirk Chilton / viola, violin

Guests: (on Garmonbozia)

- Tomas Bodin / keyboard (3, 4)
- Stefan Carlsson / keyboard (2, 7)

It is an instrumental album, somewhat similar to Etron Fou and Samla. The opening track Three Stories From The Blue Cage and Ducks In Paradise are very good and show the bands capabilities. However, I would have arranged the tracks in a different order in order to make this album more impressive or maybe to make a greater impact at the end of the record.

The band has released two other studio albums, Key Figures & Scapegoat and a live cd Ensemble Nimbus Live .

http://www.tap-records.com/

Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 16:53
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

BTW Jimbo, I know you don't like this band too much. I'm not saying they are geniuses but they do make very good music.

It's not that they were that bad, I actually found them relatively enjoyable, but I always had this "deja vu" feeling when I listened to Storm Season (probably due to over-exposure of such music), and I thought it didn't really bring anything new to the genre. I should probably re-listen to it some day, it's been over a year since I last heard it.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2006 at 00:03

Originally posted by WiguJimbo WiguJimbo wrote:

Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

It's not that they were that bad, I actually found them relatively enjoyable, but I always had this "deja vu" feeling when I listened to Storm Season (probably due to over-exposure of such music), and I thought it didn't really bring anything new to the genre. I should probably re-listen to it some day, it's been over a year since I last heard it.

Hi Tony, Nice to see/read you again.

You have a point. I think that Sacrament is their best and it is there that they try the most to explore new domains (Anamnesis, The Reach). Storm maybe sounds better and is produced in a tighter way but it is less ground breaking. However, it is still a very good album by itself and even in the WW standards (Chemical Sunset, Nightside...).

To a different matter. I've been listening to Hinterland for the last few days extensively, they have close ties to White Willow (Jacob is one of the producers and they share the same keyboardist). I was at first blinded by them but now I can find some weak points to it and I have some criticism which I will post here later.

Good day / night to the PA community

Young View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2006 at 07:30

Hi, nice thread.

I would suggest a good and interesting metal Avantgarde band - In The Woods. You probably know it. But I have no time now so I'll do it later, or you could do it Avestin  

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesovation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2006 at 21:41

Opps...sorry. My bad, Avestin. I'll try to pay more attention! You do have a good thread going, by the way.

I shall now attempt to redeem myself in some small part...(emphasis on the "small".)

Some bands you are probably already aware on the more metal side of things...

Canvus Solaris - They have three CDs out, most recently - Penumbra Diffuse (kind of Jazz Metal, a heaviier from of Gordian Knot, if you will.)

Solefald - Extremely Avante-garde metal, occasional sax, layered vocals, they have four CDs out, each one very different from the others.

Ephel Duath - Three out, Painter's Pallette is the one most familiar to me. They are out there a ways, kind of Acid Jazz meets Black Metal. Odd, unpredicable time changes. Very unique stuff.

Farmakon - Opeth soaked in jazz (?) kind of thing.

Those into metal are probably already aware of those bands, but you never know. My tastes are pretty varied. On the more straight up prog rock side of things, a few more you proabably know...

Cairo - At lease 3 or 4 CDs, kind of ELP-ish in a way. Three man band, heavy keys.

Under The Sun - Thier self titled CD is the only on I'm aware of. Good stuff, kind of different.

Or to travel way out there...

Maudlin of the Well - Who has recently changed their name to Kayo Dot - They have at least 3 or 4  CDs out there. All are very Avante-Garde, experimental works. Excellent musicianship, but highly unpredictable and all over the place.

Hope one or two of those might be useful to someone out there.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2006 at 23:17

Hi, Lesovation

Good recommendations there. I forgot about Farmakon, very good stuff.

No time to post a recomm right now (man whyis there always work to do at your workplace?), but I'll do some tonight and tomorrow, and maybe I'll expand some of your suggestions as they are indeed worthy additions.

Good day / night to all PA community

Young View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 04:40
Originally posted by lesovation lesovation wrote:

Opps...sorry. My bad, Avestin. I'll try to pay more attention! You do have a good thread going, by the way.

I shall now attempt to redeem myself in some small part...(emphasis on the "small".)

Some bands you are probably already aware on the more metal side of things...

Canvus Solaris - They have three CDs out, most recently - Penumbra Diffuse (kind of Jazz Metal, a heaviier from of Gordian Knot, if you will.)

Solefald - Extremely Avante-garde metal, occasional sax, layered vocals, they have four CDs out, each one very different from the others.

Ephel Duath - Three out, Painter's Pallette is the one most familiar to me. They are out there a ways, kind of Acid Jazz meets Black Metal. Odd, unpredicable time changes. Very unique stuff.

Farmakon - Opeth soaked in jazz (?) kind of thing.

Those into metal are probably already aware of those bands, but you never know. My tastes are pretty varied. On the more straight up prog rock side of things, a few more you proabably know...

Cairo - At lease 3 or 4 CDs, kind of ELP-ish in a way. Three man band, heavy keys.

Under The Sun - Thier self titled CD is the only on I'm aware of. Good stuff, kind of different.

Or to travel way out there...

Maudlin of the Well - Who has recently changed their name to Kayo Dot - They have at least 3 or 4  CDs out there. All are very Avante-Garde, experimental works. Excellent musicianship, but highly unpredictable and all over the place.

Hope one or two of those might be useful to someone out there.

Of the metal ones you mentioned I know Ephel, Farmakonand Solefald, all of which I find to be great bands. I am not familiar with Canvus Solaris, but knowing Gordian Knot, this can't be bad.

When did Cairo and Under the sun operate or are they still active?

Maudlin and Kayo dot are splendid!

Hey, Avestin, Wake Up! What about other suggestions? You didn't abandon the sinking ship, did you?

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesovation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 20:39
Originally posted by Young Young wrote:

I am not familiar with Canvus Solaris, but knowing Gordian Knot, this can't be bad.

When did Cairo and Under the sun operate or are they still active?

I've been listening to Canvus Solaris quite a bit lately. Very tight and complex. If you like Sean Malone's stuff with Cynic and Gordian Knot, you should definately check them out. (Actually, I'm literally listening to Cynic as I type this. If, on the slight chance you have not yet heard Cynic, you really should make a point of it. Excellent, hard to believe its 14 years old!)  

Cairo has three out, '95, '98, and 2001. Suggest you seek out Conflict & Dreams from '98, if interested. Great stuff. Oh, by the way they have more players than I thought, 4 and a singer, not 3. My mistake. I think they are still around.

Under The Sun has one out from 2000. Really nice original prog. They also have a new one out, 2005, (live, I think,) but I haven't heard, or seen it, yet.  It's called Schematism, On Stage with Under The Sun,  (I think).  Since they have a new one out, they must still be out there, too, huh? 

Two other suggestions come to mind as well. The first is Arcturus, from Norway, a super group of black metal stars, they have 5 CDs out. You are probably aware of them. The first 3 CDs are highly progressive symphonic black metal and the last two are more like progressive space metal. All are very good.

For something really different check into Orphaned Land. The only album of theirs that I'm familiar with is Mabool. They are a progressive death metal oriented band with complex Middle Eastern infuences, instruments and vocals. Very unique material. They are from Israel, so the sound is the real deal.

That's it for now. Outta time.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 14:43
Originally posted by Young Young wrote:

Hey, Avestin, Wake Up! What about other suggestions? You didn't abandon the sinking ship, did you?

Sorry, not much time this week for new recomm's even though I have many things to recommend.

I still have the debt of a few posts ago, stating I will recomm another one of the two bands I really enjoy listening lately and I will take the challenge of In The Woods raised by Mr. Young.

BTW, been immersing myself lately with really good metal with prog tendencies which not many will find to be their taste but still I think some will like them if not already know them.

These bands are Neurosis, which I have already mentioned at the first post in this thread. Isis and Pelican are the other bands. Isis is already here on PA and I am not sure Pelican is or whether it will be added in the near future.

Another thing - If you feel like relaxing and listening to something soothing I suggest an album already mentioned here - Moon safari - A Doorway To Summer.

A good weekend to all the PA community!

Oh, one more thing. If you haven't done so already, you should really have a look in the excellent threads recommending prog by countries (US, Russian, Japan and Hungary as well as Belgian, French and Spain).

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 14:44
Received many things to listen this week so I reckon I'll have many more things to recommend...
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2006 at 06:38

In the tradition of Saturday specials, I decided to dedicate this day to Van Der Graaf Generator:

The playlist includes:

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2006 at 06:40

The band I mentioned a while ago I wanted to recommend is TAAL. They have two releases out, Mister Green from 2000 and Skymind from 2003.

This is a French band. Their music is taking elements from several genres creating an excellent combination of prog with symph, some metal, jazz, classic and some weird folky-violin lead parts. The result is excellent RIO style albums. The songs are built such that they shift and change moods or speed to keep things interesting, and they make the listening much more enjoyable.

The first album is more rock and jazz based than the second. It has some excellent lengthy tracks like the opener Barbituricus, the second Coornibus and the two last Aspartamus and Super Flat Moon. The music itself is beautiful and what needs to be accustomed to is the quirkiness and the strange parts of music intervals and the sometimes strange vocal parts. The singing itself is in English and the French accent is a but evident and disturbing here since it interferes with flow of the songs. Not all tracks are songs though.

In whole this album is less focused than the following release as it has tracks that apparently have nothing to do with each other (Barbituricus and Ragtime and Mr. Green). I don’t particularly like the title song and its follow-up, they sound as if the band was just fooling around and doing a joke. But tracks 1, 2, 3, 8, 9 make this album a worthwhile album to have.

The second album – Skymind. Well, that is another thing. In the opening you hear someone changing stations in a radio and in some stations you hear some songs from the previous record. As if to make us realize that the band have progressed from that stage and they now are ready to move forward. Which they are. Skymind is more focused, more experimental IMO and even more brutal. The opener Skymind and some other tracks have a near metal bits to them. The violin still plays an important part and the guitars are loose to play their wild riffs. The vocals are not so different but now they are more in tune with the overall sound and there are the male and female vocals. The female part has a deep sensual and mysterious sound but the accent is still very much noticeable. There is even a line in Blind Child which sounds as though she sings this in French and not English (Sets it in motion to dust…, sounds like C’est une …).

The second and third tracks have terrific music, quirky folk and circus like that makes you want to dance.

All in all, an excellent release.

They are working on a third album to be released this year.

http://www.taal.free.fr/

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2006 at 06:54

I usually don't do this and also don't encourage others to do so, but I was quite impressed at the first, second and third listens that I decided to bring to attention this band.

They are OVERHEAD and the album I am refering to is their second release from 2005 Metaepitome. It is a release combning some sympg influences in it while adding their own touch and mark to it. There are occasional song that remond more of the neo-prog bands, but in a good way. This is evidently this bands direction and inclination - A modern sound of symphonic prog that still keeps the original sounds but adds in their own ideas and thoughts of how it should sound and also adding a modern rock feel into the music. I suggest you read this review http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=38750 by Gatot Widayanto, and this one http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=62536 by Erik Neuteboom which give a very good idea on this release.  

Their first release Zumanthum is from 2002 and it is also highly rated here in PA.

You can hear samples through their website:

http://zebra.tky.hut.fi/overhead/

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesovation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 21:27

Whoa, Avestin, you are on a roll, man! Some very good stuff there. You can't go wrong with a Saturday devoted to Van Der Graaf, either.

While I'm familiar with the first bands you mentioned, TAAL and Overhead are both new to me. I'll have to check 'em out in a bit more detail.

By the way, the above links to threads on prog in other countries are pretty interesting, too. So much music, so little time, (and money).

Just one recomendation for today, which many are likely to be aware of, even thought you don't hear a lot about them. They are in the ProgArchives, too. This one is straight up Old School '70s prog...the band is Yezda Urfa. They have two out, Boris from '75 and Sacred Baboon from '89 as far as I know. Of the two, I kinda perfer Boris, but both are pretty interesting.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 23:09

Hi Lesovation, good to see/read you

Taal are really great and should not be missed.

I love Yezda as well (have both their albums) and I prefer Boris to Baboon as well.

Have little time now to do a serious recommendation and I have a large list to cover. Plus, I prefer to write about an album while listening to it, so it limits the time possibilities.

Just a short one, though. Been listening to SINKADUS's two releases alot lately (Aurum Nostrum, Cirkus). While they are very good and competent, I can't escape the feeling its been done by others - the older symphonic bands and the new wave of symphonic bands (even some vintage ones like Wobbler). I will post my similar feelings about Hinterland later, since it has much to do with them as well. But for good and well performed symphonic prog music, I think they are more than worth the listen.

http://home1.swipnet.se/~w-18973/sinkadus/

Hello and Goodday/night to the PA community!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 112>