Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Recommend...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384 112>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ivbgutie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivbgutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 04:57
Originally posted by Ivbgutie Ivbgutie wrote:

Magg's "Birth - Revival"

www.facebook.com/maggband

www.soundcloud.com/maggband

www.youtube.com/maggband

http://www.amazon.com/Birth-Revival/dp/B00D1Z02EA/ref=sr_1_3_title_0_main?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1371449609&sr=1-3&keywords=magg

Magg Birth-Revival

kartmaze View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kartmaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 10:57
I recommend a band form my hometown called Magic Pie (Symphonic prog).
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1679

Start with the song Circle of Life: Pt. IV - Trick of the Mind from the album called Circle of Life.

For those of you who have Spotify: Magic Pie – Circus Of Life: Pt. IV Trick Of The Mind, Act 1 Song Of Decision, Act Ii Song Of Anger, Act Iii Song Of Sharing, Act Iv Face To Face
Angelopoulos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelopoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 02:09
Hi guys. I just register on the forum and i need some recomendations.

I love Pelican, Russian circles, Red Sparrows, Tool, Opeth, and so i watch you from far, this will destroys you, if this trees could talk, meshuggah and others. 

I know this is a little sparse but i think some of you can understand my kind of music and recomended by similar.

So if you don't mind please sugest 5 or 10 bands. 
Stickman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 06:34
Michael Bernier's follow up to "Leviathan" has just been released...only available here:
http://michaelbernier.bandcamp.com/album/veil
Ivbgutie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivbgutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 18:51
you can try magg :D

www.facebook.com/maggband

check the band page
Ivbgutie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivbgutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 18:53
Originally posted by Angelopoulos Angelopoulos wrote:

I love Pelican, Russian circles, Red Sparrows, Tool, Opeth, and so i watch you from far, this will destroys you, if this trees could talk, meshuggah and others. 
I know this is a little sparse but i think some of you can understand my kind of music and recomended by similar.
magg www.facebook.com/maggband
check the band page
www.soundcloud.com
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 22:28

Heavy eh? I can give you just that. You would 10? Sure. And welcome to PA as well.

1) Symphony X-- start with their last two albums(Iconoclast and Paradise Lost)
2) Agalloch--Ashes against the Grain is a nice entry to this band. You will discover incredible guitar interplay between the acoustic and electric guitar firing off simultaneously.
3) Psychotic Waltz--I'd start with INTO THE EVERFLOW and MOSQUITO to get the big picture of what they can do creatively as a band. Very diverse. ;)
4) SAVIOUR MACHINE--Dark Gothic Progressive metal at its absolute finest. They have 5 studio albums. Get them all!
They did a three album concept on the book of revelations. Crazy!
5) Savatage--Get STREETS. It's a classic 80's metal concept album that is very powerful and theatrical. It's in PA's top 100 prog metal albums. :)
6) Dream Theater--you have to listen to IMAGES AND WORDS. You just have to. ;)
7) Arch/Matheos--They have one album at the moment called SYMPATHETIC RESONANCE. It's a killer. Has some of the old Fates Warning line up in it.
8) Soulfly--this band is not on PA but it should be. South american metal band with prog related structures. Album I think you would got for is THE DARK AGES. You can't overlook this one.
9) Beyond Twilight---get SECTION X. It's a Bizarre concept album with a very Heavey sound. I wrote a review on it if your interested. :)
10) Judas Priest--Not on PA and they should NOT be, but their last album NOSTRADOMMUS is a 2 cd concept album that is progressive metal related in sound and composition. It really is the metal gods best album next to PAINKILLER of course.

Enjoy man. Let me know if you want more. Happy listening and I totally support heavy music tastes. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 22:32
Today's reccomendation is the band, ROYAL HUNT and their album
PARADOX.

This is an album that fuses three different prog rock genres into their sound on this release.
It's progressive Metal, Neo Prog Metal and a bit of Cross over prog.
Haven't heard too many albums like this one, and it's very good.
Highly recommend it.

Enjoy if you will. :)
MantasChan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MantasChan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 12:56

Hello guys :) I recommend this band : Tugs , and their new album  Europa Minor 2013

A nice Symphonic Progressive - Rock Opera

Band is from Italy, and for fans who like Pfm, Banco, Genesis

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tugs/141670019250720

http://www.todomodomusicall.org/

MrJames View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 14:41

Animals as Leaders, Periphery, The HAARP Machine, Tesseract - some djent. I hope, you would like it.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 15:25
AGALLOCH

The mantle & ashes against the grain. 2 solid masterpieces. :)
KingMartycat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingMartycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 19:02
Hi all,

So as of late I've been struggling to find something new and up and coming, the prog scene as it was isn't always producing fresh talent.  The other day I had a friend of mine recommend this band called Archetypes, I'll throw a link down below, they've only got one track out but it's a killer! I'm looking forward to hearing more of this stuff.

http://www.triplejunearthed.com/Artists/View.aspx?artistid=66806

Anyways check it out and let me know what you think!
kmoore View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 18:29
After two days with Spock's Beard latest album 'Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep', I strongly recommend this double album to any fans of their previous stuff. I have to admit I was dissapointed at first realizing 'hey that's not NDV on the lead vocals...'. The band has overcome member changes in the past and do it again with another solid release. I'm liking this one alot. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 20:40
I reccomend COMEDY OF ERRORS.

this band is exceptional and really offer some terrific modern and retro sounding Neo-Prog.

They have 2 albums. DISOBEY (2011)and FANFARE FOR FANTASY. (2013)
Get them both! I think Fanfare For Fantasy could have a good chance at being album of the year for me. ;)
josuu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josuu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 08:07
I would recommend the self-titled album by Palms (2013) This group has folks from ISIS and Deftones vocalist. Have listened to this a couple of times on Spotify now and I think I need to get the album too.
tonyes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 07:42
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

this band is exceptional and really offer some terrific modern and retro sounding Neo-Prog.

Get them both! I think Fanfare For Fantasy could have a good chance at being album of the year for me. ;)

Couldn't agree more. Fanfare & Fantasy is superb. Seen them twice in the last year, just great.

For a completely different sound try Haken.
the lighthouse keepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the lighthouse keepe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 11:28
Originally posted by tonyes tonyes wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Fanfare & Fantasy is superb. Seen them twice in the last year, just great.

For a completely different sound try Haken.
Comedy of Errors have produced such a moving ,magnificent Opus with FANFARE AND FANTASY.Top 5 album for this year for me.Highly recommended.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 12:37
^^ you got it fellas!!! Welcome to PA as well. I sense you discover many more great prog bands judging from your good tastes. ;) COE are an exceptional band. Glad to hear they are getting more appreciation and exposure of late.

F&F is rivaling Clive Nolan's Alchemy for album of the year for me thus far. (2013)

Well see what Dream Theater and Nine Inch Nails put out in September. :)
progman1981 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 18:52
Now that Illusion Suite's new album is out I really have to recommend this. It is called "The Iron Cemetery". Enjoy!

Check out the lyric video here

Edited by progman1981 - July 29 2013 at 18:56
PH View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 05:37

I love both albums from COE - 'Disobey' and 'Fanfare And Fantasy'. Highly recommended!

Edited by PH - July 30 2013 at 05:38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384 112>