Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Recommend...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 112>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
steve2603 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve2603 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 10:38
^I'll get round to them later today thanks!

Originally posted by Abulabas Abulabas wrote:

Originally posted by steve2603 steve2603 wrote:

Can anyone recommend me some recent prog to get me interested in it again? I mean I checked out the top albums of 2013 on this site and I listened to some of the Haken LP and honestly, aside from some riffs and and vocal work it just got tedious, they're so self-consciously a prog band that what they're doing is just a by the book kind of music. Are there any bands that aren't so tied in with the genre but still make interesting/different music? Don't think I've encountered any modern stuff I really enjoy yet. 

Edit: I do enjoy Consider the Source, but I'm talking more about stuff wi vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzGFowng3s
Espeacially 1 and 2 Tracks

Will check it out soon cheers.

And I just remembered I enjoy Phidaeux, as cheesy and bombastic as they are, didn't know they were still around.

Edited by steve2603 - January 06 2014 at 10:38
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 19:53
Originally posted by Eppingforest181 Eppingforest181 wrote:

I've had a hard time getting into the RPI genre but really like Area. any recommendations?

Alphatauras, Unreal City, Ingranaggi Della Valle, Museo Rosenbach, Three Monks, and Il Cerchio D'Oro have all had great albums come out this year. :) Can't lose man. Quality music. It grows on you. RPI is one romantic SOB.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 20:00
Well it is a popular listing here on PA, but for those who haven't heard ANUBIS's TOWER OF SILENCE album your in for a treat. Quality Neo Prog from Australia with some of the oddest, yet beautifully grooving time Signatures you'll hear in the Neo world. Enjoy progheads. Songs like THE PASSING BELL and the THE HOLY INNOCENT will put a smile on your face. :)
Sowiesoso61 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sowiesoso61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 13:24
YES - TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS
Six reasons why this is my all-time favourite prog rock album:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stepheniliffe/9818154826/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 13:45
Originally posted by Sowiesoso61 Sowiesoso61 wrote:

YES - TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS
Six reasons why this is my all-time favourite prog rock album:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stepheniliffe/9818154826/

Mr. 61. Well said. Very well said I read your 'Flicker' link and I have to agree with all 6 enthusiastic, and full character responses. It was a nice read, and I think you'll be happy that a lot of us PA freaks here are well aware of all the central gifts musically that Tales has to offer. Me personally, I share you your joy and appreciation for this album.
It is definitely a stream of consciousness...earthly adventure that I cherish as well.
Your also right about how the album showcases the skill level of each band member so well.
I felt this was widely apparent on FRAGILE as well. :)
Anyway. Welcome to PA and thanks for sharing this.
dsellwood View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsellwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 05:55

Hi just found this site must recommend Druid double cd towards the sun/ Fluid druid brilliant, only made two albums, shame.

AmirMaor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmirMaor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 08:30
Hi, I recommend my friend :)

please listen and tell me what you think...

the song

tnx
cloudstr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cloudstr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 08:39
This is ultra rare live footage of Can and Agitation-Free, . The recording quality and the jam solos will satisfy you Krautrock fan.  Watch before it's taken down, cheers!

(Laila II live from album LAST)
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 12:22
I recommend Vivalma, a new addition to the archives

Edited by timothy leary - January 13 2014 at 12:23
woutwolf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woutwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 08:47
Excuse me, I am using this reply function for something else: I want to post a new topic, but am not allowed and do not understand why. Can anyone help? This would be my posting:

Looking for peaceful, pastoral progrock

Hi everyone,

I am looking for softer, peaceful progrock like Willowglass. I hope to find more pastoral, friendly music within the symphonic rock realm - as it was called in my adolescent years (53 now) when I discovered Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, Steve Hackett, Marillion, UK, Gentle Giant.

Recently I only discovered two new ‘progrocks’: Willowglass and The Watch. (I love the sound and feel of ‘The Watch’, but it is frustrating that it is overly composed, like ego got in the way of inspiration and creativity.)

So, I am looking for something like Willowglass. Maybe there is a band from before that I never discovered in ‘my’ time.

Maybe that band uses instruments like flute, twelve string guitar, mellotron. If these are present, the chance would be greater it is to my present taste.

Thanks ahead so much for the recommendations! 

HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HemispheresOfXanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 09:12
Originally posted by woutwolf woutwolf wrote:

Excuse me, I am using this reply function for something else: I want to post a new topic, but am not allowed and do not understand why. Can anyone help? This would be my posting:

Looking for peaceful, pastoral progrock

Hi everyone,

I am looking for softer, peaceful progrock like Willowglass. I hope to find more pastoral, friendly music within the symphonic rock realm - as it was called in my adolescent years (53 now) when I discovered Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, Steve Hackett, Marillion, UK, Gentle Giant.

Recently I only discovered two new ‘progrocks’: Willowglass and The Watch. (I love the sound and feel of ‘The Watch’, but it is frustrating that it is overly composed, like ego got in the way of inspiration and creativity.)

So, I am looking for something like Willowglass. Maybe there is a band from before that I never discovered in ‘my’ time.

Maybe that band uses instruments like flute, twelve string guitar, mellotron. If these are present, the chance would be greater it is to my present taste.

Thanks ahead so much for the recommendations! 

I haven't dug too much into symphonic prog, so these are just the most commonly suggested bands: Glass Hammer, Big Big Train, Unitopia. I'd also like to suggest Snarky Puppy They aren't symphonic prog (they're jazz) but as of the album Tell Your Friends they have featured some brilliant mellotron playing. They're maybe a little over-the-top though.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 09:19
^^ Maybe try Harmonium and Sebastian Hardie. Smile
Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jzrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 16:16
Didn't find in the search.Anybody familiar with Rock Candy Funk Party.
Jazz rock funk fusion from 2012 ?One of my new favorites
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 23:28
I recommend with great pleasure.

WYTCHCRYPT.

This is a wonderful offering from a former PA member. It combines Sabbath/King Crimson and a bit of transiberian orchestra influences.

Check out part 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc96jxaYY0I

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 03:33
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I recommend with great pleasure.

WYTCHCRYPT.

This is a wonderful offering from a former PA member. It combines Sabbath/King Crimson and a bit of transiberian orchestra influences.

Check out part 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc96jxaYY0I

Great atmosphere! Where is their website, facebook page???
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

omnichord View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omnichord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 16:14
Hey guys,
I'm new on the forum. I play keys in a new prog band from LA. We were added by Kev Rowland to the prog archives here:

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8684

You can stream our album here:

http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pages/play-album.php?activeAlbum=00659%20-%20Perfect%20Beings%20-%20Perfect%20Beings

If you like what you hear, would you guys mind rating us on the progarchives link above, adding us on Facebook www.facebook.com/perfectbeingsband , and/or buying our CD at perfectbeingsband.com

Thanks for allowing me to solicit your time. I promise I'll return the favor by participating in non-band-promotion posts. Maybe a thread on keyboards is due my attention :)

Jesse
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 06:15
Today I recommend Fusion releases by these artists...
Quinteplus
Tohpati Etnomission
Mick Karn
Elastic Rock Band
Dewa Budjana
Jason Smith 
Deafmoon
wthrailk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wthrailk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 13:08
www.mammothprog.bandcamp.com

A band out of Hollywood, CA. All members study at Musician's Institute. Instrumental Prog Rock. The band currently has 2 releases out and are working on their third. 
AgostinoScafidi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgostinoScafidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 12:57
Hi, ok so for some reason I don't yet have permission to post a new topic, so I'll post my recommendation here.

The Chronicles Of Israfel

from Montreal. one album already out, a standalone 13 minute release just recently to bridge the gap between their second album about to be released soon. A single for the album came out yesterday.

Heavy, melodic, progressive. Very very good stuff. Great guitar work and great drumming.
http://tcoi.bandcamp.com
..my eBooks..
http://amazon.com/author/agostinoscafidi
remy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 03:40
http://youtu.be/g0lWv5A_duM

can you check out this video? please please
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 112>