Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Beatles deserve to be here because...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 21:08
Originally posted by The Lost Chord The Lost Chord wrote:

...They were pioneers.  Every other band that did ANYTHING prog related like sgt peppers or magical mystery was just copying or were inspired by the Beatles, therefore bands like The Doors, rolling stones and led zeppelin should NOT be here, they did not pioneer prog like the beatles did.

Hence, Proto-Prog

bravo!!!

the point had been made by numerous posters.... the Beatles were the catalyst for what we know as prog rock and should be here.  Let's face it, their early 'pop' for lack of a better word albums aren't exactly going to be hot topics of discussion, their latter albums..the more experimental....progressive albums will be what gets discussed here... along with their impact on the prog groups that followed them.  A No brainer here.  As far as the others...

The Doors-   No way... psychedelic blues based rock with a 'poet' for a lyricist.  Hardly progressive in the year 1967.

The Stones - a group that wore their influence of American blues and R&B on their sleeve.  A GREAT...GREAT group and amoung my non-prog favs, but shouldn't even really be considered.  Satanic Majesties Request while an interesting album was a diversion into psychedelia and not represenative of the group (though I love the album ....2000 light years from home.... killed some brain cells in my young and dumb days to that one hahahah)

Zeppelin - A group that shows the impact and influence of prog in the 70's... but not prog.  A group that evolved from strictly amplified blues 'covers'  and thievery ()  to incorperating elements of prog in their music.  Not a prog group however... not by a mile.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
ken4musiq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 22:03

For Mr. Lost Chord:

I will be arrogant enough to excerpt my review here so that you may read it:

The nature of a term like “progressive rock” is that it is, as music, malleable and perpetually in change. The term “progressive rock” began to be used by writers in 1968, to denote the progressive impulse of the music of the Byrds, The Band, Procol Harum, The Beatles andThe Nice. Progressive rock did not have the narrow distinction now attributed to it until much later.

What was most engaging about Sgt Pepper was that it spoke about ordinary people: Billy Shears, Mr. Kite or Rita Meter Maid. Often they were doing things that were viewed as quite extraordinary: starting a band, leaving home or committing suicide, a theme that would become prevalent in heavy metal.

Through their narrative the Beatles began to question the materialistic framework of western society and the assumptions through which we lived out lives. They did this through laying to rest any notions about the ability of power, money and fame to truly liberate people. In the height of the Warhol sixties, they also questioned the consumerist aspect of pop art, laying themselves to rest and creating art out of a vision of common man going about a day in the life.

There would have been no Supper’s Ready or "show that never ends" without Sergeant Pepper’s. It all began here, in the uncompromising vision of The Beatles to re-create themselves through the lens of their own vision.

Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 22:39
The Beatles album St. Pepper was of June, 1967. The Doors first album, containing songs like The Chrystal Ship, Light my Fire and The End was already out in January, 1967. How can you say the Beatles influenced everybody else, and so the Beatles should be here and the Doors should not? This is a total miss of the Prog Archives. The Doors produced something completely new and also influenced loads of new bands (even upto now). Listen to "The End" and tell me it's not at least "proto-prog"! I also think the Beatles should be here, mainly for St. Pepper, but to say this was the "turning point" in music history is somewhat too strong. It was the time which made this happen!
moonlapse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 22:46
Originally posted by ken4musiq ken4musiq wrote:

There would have been no Supper’s Ready or "show that never ends" without Sergeant Pepper’s.

How can you possibly know or prove that?
ken4musiq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 23:09

Originally posted by moonlapse moonlapse wrote:

Originally posted by ken4musiq ken4musiq wrote:

There would have been no Supper’s Ready or "show that never ends" without Sergeant Pepper’s.

How can you possibly know or prove that?

The narrative is a part of the times but The Beatles gave it its impetus. Both of these pieces reference Sgt Pepper's. The presupposition of Supper's Ready is that two peope are sitting down to eat while this cosmological event unfolds around them.  The notion that cosomological events happen in real time to real people is implicit in Sgt Pepper's. Sgt Pepper taught the band to play in one day, "twenty years ago today"  this feat evidences a type of cosmological magic associated with the band, a magic that takes place in a sense of eternal "dayness."  Within You and Without You is another example.  Many writers see it as the focal point of the album. In the song we can have something more, love peace contentment,  if we want it in the "here and now."

Sgt Peppers like KE 9 was to be a performance vehicle for the band. Karnevil 9 references Mr. Kite when Sinfield speaks of all those show people like the gypsy queen, performing amazing tricks.  This  may have satired Emerson's stage antics.

The idea of Karnevil 9 is a show that preserves a past of lost innocense. This was the innocense that Sgt Pepper spoke of that was part of the 1960s mod generation and the desire for post war youth to make sense of their world. By 1973 the innocense was fading and you can see it in the music.  Dark Side, Brain Salad Surgery and Selling England all speak to something that has been lost, maybe not to be regained.

Edited by ken4musiq
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 23:30
Originally posted by Soul Dreamer Soul Dreamer wrote:

The Beatles album St. Pepper was of June, 1967. The Doors first album, containing songs like The Chrystal Ship, Light my Fire and The End was already out in January, 1967. How can you say the Beatles influenced everybody else, and so the Beatles should be here and the Doors should not? This is a total miss of the Prog Archives. The Doors produced something completely new and also influenced loads of new bands (even upto now). Listen to "The End" and tell me it's not at least "proto-prog"! I also think the Beatles should be here, mainly for St. Pepper, but to say this was the "turning point" in music history is somewhat too strong. It was the time which made this happen!

You obviously haven't sat down and listened to Revolver. It was Morrison's, Kreiger's, Barrett's, Waters', Garcia's and Weir's favorite album! All of them have acknowledged that album as the album that gave them the itch. Forget Pepper! Kreiger said on VH-1 that him and Morrison were listening to that album almost everyday while at UCLA. Waters said almost the same thing about him and Syd. And I certainly remember Bob Weir's rememberance of him and Jerry going to the last Beatles concert at Candlestick and going home and listening to Revolver.

I'm not saying the Beatles invented the whole avant-garde progress into rock music, but I think they pushed it more than anybody else. Why? Simple, they had the clout. And the talent as well.
Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 03:21

The beatles had the biggest impact because they where the most commercial of the experimental bands

Alas King Crimson sounds nothing like The beatles

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 03:35
Originally posted by Lindsay Lohan Lindsay Lohan wrote:

The beatles had the biggest impact because they where the most commercial of the experimental bands

Youve mentioned this several times but because Dream Theater sounds nothing like Yes does this mean that Yes had no influence on DT? Of course they did.

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 03:54
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Youve mentioned this several times but because Dream Theater sounds nothing like Yes does this mean that Yes had no influence on DT? Of course they did.

Certainly DT sounds very much like YES and they are both bands of outstanding solo musicians. I'm just saying that some prog artists where perhaps influences but many others where not.

RoyalJelly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 04:00
Originally posted by ChadFromCanada ChadFromCanada wrote:

Mixing jazz with rock is called jazz fusion,
which we have a section for.  So yes, let's put Miles on the site.

Actually, it is kind of embarassing that Miles is not present on the
site...when you consider there'd be no Mahavishnu, Return to Forever,
Weather Report, etc. without him. Of course it's too much to have all his
early jazz albums, but they could do like they did with John Zorn (who has
about 700 albums out) and just make a selection (should have done that for
the Beatles too). Not having Bitch's Brew on a progressive site is sort of
ridiculous...
Pafnutij View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 04:04
...because they don't.
erlenst View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 05:24

Originally posted by Marcelo Xanadu Marcelo Xanadu wrote:

Ha... so then should be right put Chuck Berry in the archives!

STOP IT ALREADY !!!

Read the definition of proto-prog, take 10 minutes to think about it, and then SHUT THE  UP !!

Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 05:46
Originally posted by The Ryan The Ryan wrote:

Prog-rock is not everything that is original and fresh, that's not how it works.

If you want to argue that Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart Club is progressive I'm not going to stop you, but I personally disagree with most of the Beatles' work being prog-rock in the conservative sense, which is what most people are after anyways.

After so many decades of these bands being thought of as 'rock n roll bands', people are now deciding Deep Purple, Queen, Styx, The Beatles and so forth are now prog-rock. Where the hell have you people been if you are really correct? After all this time!!! Prog-rock is a style of music, as is classic rock. I'll tell you what prog-rock isn't; everything experimental and never done before.

Well said! There seems to be a belief in some quarters that any music that is ground-breaking/experimental deserves to have the tag progressive and I don't share that view.
ken4musiq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 14:02

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Certainly DT sounds very much like YES and they are both bands of outstanding solo musicians. I'm just saying that some prog artists where perhaps influences but many others where not.

Ironically, when King Crimson's fiurst album was reviewed in the NY Tims, the reviewer siad it sounded like the Beatles.  A big part of it was the longer song structures, but they both had a common precursor in Bob Dylan. 

For the life of me I cannot hear the influence of Yes on DT, and this has puzzled me.  It is strange how different ears pick up different things,since for you the influence is apparent.  The ironic thing is that I can hear everything but Yes.

The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 19:48

Proto-Prog definition
Rock Bands in existence prior to 1969 that influenced the development of progressive rock. The late 60's was a predominately experimental period for music. These bands were moving in a stream that eventually led to prog. The influence could have come from new sophisticated forms of writing and playing music, recording techniques, new instruments and vocal harmonies to name a few. Some of these bands became progressive rock bands themselves others did not.

Please tell me how The Beatles do not fall into that description.

JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 23:58
Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

Proto-Prog definition
Rock Bands in existence prior to 1969 that influenced the development of progressive rock. The late 60's was a predominately experimental period for music. These bands were moving in a stream that eventually led to prog. The influence could have come from new sophisticated forms of writing and playing music, recording techniques, new instruments and vocal harmonies to name a few. Some of these bands became progressive rock bands themselves others did not.

Please tell me how The Beatles do not fall into that description.

Nice!... love em or hate em, as for me, and for almost all the progheads here, The Beatles is a welcome addition!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12