Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe loudest concert ever!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The loudest concert ever!!
    Posted: February 21 2006 at 19:42

The loudest band I´ve ever heard has to be Destruction. I went to a Scorpions concert and they were one of the opening bands. It was so loud and the whole structure of the hall was shaking, I thought the roof would cave in at any secondLOL The band were terrible, terribleDead

Which is the loudest band you´ve seen live?

marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 20:29
I remember when the Who held the Guiness record for the loudest concert. I didn't see the show but I think it started some states here to set decibel limits on rock shows.

As for the loudest show I ever saw, I guess I'd say ELP on the Welcome Back My Friends tour in '74. They had a Quadraphonic sound system where most of the speakers were right there in the bleachers with us. When Keith would hit that Moog, it would just fly around the arena going right through your ears. Loud as Hell!
progaeopteryx View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 21:14
Pink Floyd in 1988. Floyd has always had a history of being really loud, though I'm sure the Who have them beat.

Recently, Porcupine Tree (opening for Yes) in 2002. This was because I was sitting in a direct line from the right side speakers. PT's bass was mixed real loud and overwhelmed most of the other instruments, especially the keys. However, Yes wasn't nearly as loud and the sound levels were quite comfortable when they came on.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 21:22
Megadeth, RockinRio, 1991... wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww  and inside a football stadium (Maracanã) with capacity for more than 200.000 people. I suffer until today the effects of that evening show.
Guigo

~~~~~~
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 21:28
Originally posted by progaeopteryx progaeopteryx wrote:

Pink Floyd in 1988. Floyd has always had a history of being really loud, though I'm sure the Who have them beat.Recently, Porcupine Tree (opening for Yes) in 2002. This was because I was sitting in a direct line from the right side speakers. PT's bass was mixed real loud and overwhelmed most of the other instruments, especially the keys. However, Yes wasn't nearly as loud and the sound levels were quite comfortable when they came on.

Yeah, I've seen Yes 5 times and they're never that loud.
krusty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 07:09
Motorhead are pretty loud, in fact the last time I saw them a few years ago at the Brixton Academy, was easily the loudest gig I have ever been to, I think they got into trouble that night as well for being too load for too long!!!!
My ears were still ringing for the whole of the following day

yeppp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 08:58
I dont know if you know the genre " Noise " ? artist's like " Merzbow " or " Masonna " ! Their concerts and ( and even albums ) are extremely noisy !! even painfull
glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 17:16
Motorhead, saw them in the early Eighties. Way too loud.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 17:43
Rainbow I think, in 1982 or 1983.
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 18:31
Led Zeppelin In Through The Outdoor Tour 1979 in Ahoy Rotterdam, my ears were buzzing two days long after the concert! And Rush R30 tour in Ahoy Rotterdam was at some moments unbearable for my ears  ..
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 18:48

Thin Lizzy,mid to late 70s,Belle Vue Manchester.

My ears had a three-day ring.I've seen them at other occasions and they were loud then too.

My 5 loudest bands that I've experienced first hand:

1. Thin Lizzy (Belle Vue,Manchester)
2. Motorhead (Bolton Technical College 1977)
3. Angelwitch (supporting Van Halen or April Wine,I think..)
4. Rush,too loud really (see Erik above)
5. Judas Priest 1979

cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 20:08
Black Sabbath with Dio fronting, 70 something, in a small theater. We were on the balcony. It was shaking so much I thought we'd end up on the audience below. My wife slept through half of it- go figure.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 22:33
I have to say that the quietest concert I ever saw was KC in '74 on the Starless tour at the Kennedy Center Opera House in Washington. Best I can remember was that Bruford and Cross were not miked at all. Only Fripp and Wetton. The acoustics did most of the work. It was very low key and quite sedate. I almost went asleep myself.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 08:12

Hawkwind in 1986 - They were playing a small venue in a town near where I live. They decided to use, what looked like their usual 'big hall' PA system. To date it's the loudest noise of any kind I've ever heard. Some of the high frequencies were agonising, especially those generated by Harvey Bainbridge's farting osscilator machine..

Rush R30 Tour Wembley - The next loudest noise I have ever heard. I went both nights, and the first night we were overlooking the stage from the right. We were sat right in front of the PA cabinets hanging from the celing. It was far too loud, and at times Geddy Lees bass guitar sounded was un-recognisable as a musical instrument

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 09:06
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Hawkwind in 1986 - They were playing a small venue in a town near where I live. They decided to use, what looked like their usual 'big hall' PA system. To date it's the loudest noise of any kind I've ever heard. Some of the high frequencies were agonising, especially those generated by Harvey Bainbridge's farting osscilator machine..

Rush R30 Tour Wembley - The next loudest noise I have ever heard. I went both nights, and the first night we were overlooking the stage from the right. We were sat right in front of the PA cabinets hanging from the celing. It was far too loud, and at times Geddy Lees bass guitar sounded was un-recognisable as a musical instrument

Wembly has a real reputation for crap acoustics. Even with satellite PA stacks dotted around the venue, bands playing there nearly always end up sounding like a canary giving birth to a road drill.

Loudest gig for me is a toss up between The Michael Schenker Group in 1983 and Jeff Beck in '88 (both at the Hammersmith Odeon). My ears rang for days after both gigs.

And to think there was I time where I thought that was a GOOD thing...

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 11:15
Originally posted by marktheshark marktheshark wrote:

I remember when the Who held the Guiness record for the loudest concert. I didn't see the show but I think it started some states here to set decibel limits on rock shows.

As for the loudest show I ever saw, I guess I'd say ELP on the Welcome Back My Friends tour in '74. They had a Quadraphonic sound system where most of the speakers were right there in the bleachers with us. When Keith would hit that Moog, it would just fly around the arena going right through your ears. Loud as Hell!

If I recall correctly, Manowar hold the final record for loudest concert, since the Guiness Book of World Records has now retired the category. I suppose if it's painful on the ears, they may as well make it loud as well
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 11:29

Most of the concerts I've been to have been too loud (Ozric Tentacles and Deep Purple I remember as being very loud). I've stopped going to most as I hate the ringing ears afterwards and the thought that I've damaged my ears. Only Jethro Tull and Fairport Convention play at a decent volume.

I don't know how bands can play night after night at those volumes and still be able to hear.

Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 11:30

What about Vow Wow?

Didn't you have second thoughts about going to the second night of Rush?

Cygnus X-1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 13:06
Motorhead! saw them 2 years ago, and with ear plugs in I was still deaf for 3 days after
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 13:35
Originally posted by Bob Greece Bob Greece wrote:

What about Vow Wow?

Didn't you have second thoughts about going to the second night of Rush?

Yes, thanks for reminding me, Bob. Vow Wow were incredibly loud.

No, I had no hesitation about going the second night. We had seats further from the stage, so it sounded better there, and it was generally a very good show.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>