Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBeatles and pop albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beatles and pop albums
    Posted: February 24 2006 at 14:42

There has been so much controversy about the recent inclusion of The Beatles in the forum. The thing is, amongst their discography, only "Abbey Road" could be considered as proto-prog (maybe also "Sgt. Pepper's" as the first conceptual album). Obvioulsy, the rest of their output is pop music.

But let's think about many bands that edited a few prog or prog-related albums and then changed to pop or pop-rock music (Genesis, Gentle Giant, Yes... lots of bands). Nobody complains in those cases, because of the great importance of their first albums. It seems the problem only comes when a pop-rock band edits a prog album.

I think only prog, proto-prog or prog-related albums from every band should be included in the archives, after all that's the music style we all look for when we check this webpage. Also, that way it would be easier to review some albums. For example, "Invisible touch" is a one star album is you consider it prog, but it might deserve something better as a pop-rock album. Finally, we would not have to see albums like "With the Beatles" review here, which I think is absurd (and I think it is what's getting many people on their nerves...)

In some cases it would be difficult to decide which albums are prog and which are not, but for me it makes no sense to include POP records in Progarchives, no matter if they are from The Beatles or from Genesis.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 15:09

I tend to agree with you, Ckh, but while for some bands it's very easy to separate (proto-) prog albums from non-prog albums for many other bands this separation is difficult, like Queen, Genesis, Yes, etc. and also the opinions will be frankly divided; then the discussion will erupt again and again. It is tough to please Greeks and Trojans as you know. It is preferable to sin exceeding than lacking.

However, I'm sure the Admin Team is also minding a way to deal with these challenges and for the future such matters will be solved. Meanwhile, any honest and well-intentioned suggestion - like yours, is welcome and will be evaluated.

Guigo

~~~~~~
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 15:47
Good point, but it's hard enough to decide if some bands are prog or not, without having to decide on individual albums. For instance, "Invisible Touch" may be a pop-rock album but where did Genesis stop being a prog band and cross over into pop-rock? When Hackett left or a bit later? Even "We Can't Dance" has a couple of prog songs (e.g. Driving the Last Spike).
progaeopteryx View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 11:58
I would prefer to see the whole discography. With the idea of only including prog albums in mind, if I see a title from a band I'm interested in and it hasn't been listed, I can't be sure if it wasn't listed because it wasn't prog or because no one has gotten around to it. I would rather judge the "proginess" of an album by reading the reviews. If you don't think those Beatles albums are prog, then state so in your review. Simple as that.

Second, we would have to go through a tedious plan of submitting every album to a committee that would just get hopelessly back-logged. It would create an incredible amount of work for everybody. I think the system in place now is much more efficient.
 Post Reply Post Reply