Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2004 at 23:47
^ did you at least tune it for him?
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2004 at 08:15
arf arf!!!! it was actually a bitch to play , partly
because it's got a neck like a tree trunk but mainly
cause I was extraordinarily drunk at the time.
Still have a tape of the recordings made that night
somewhere, it's extremely embarrassing listening,
my wah-wah technique is ummmmm unique.
Still, at least my guitar playing that evening was
better than my plodding efforts on bass. Sheeeeesh
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2004 at 08:16
it was all the proof I needed that Ronnie's a killer
guitar player, he could make that thing sing and he's
always drunk!!!!!
jonaev View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2004 at 13:57

always Gibson SG, specially this one

We shall live forever and cast out those less divine
Gods we will be - rulers of the sea - in our Grand Design
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 19:23
 that's very cool.
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2004 at 07:13
^ fantastic, I'm an SG convert
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Richardw View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2005 at 09:02
I have a Gibson Flying V (dont laugh) 1979 'Silverburst' finish. Plays like a dream. Used to have a strat too. I like both, but i wish i'd kept the strat.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 11:49
Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

I'm a Fender man myself. Particularly Telecasters. This Nashville model is my weapon of choice. I'd love to hear from people about what they think about the differences/preferences between Fender and Gibson guitars.

I'm a Fender person, too. I prefer the necks and actions better on Fenders than I do on Gibsons. However, I do like the sound of Gibsons. But, what's the point of the sound if you can't play the axe because of the neck?; I just don't like the feel of the necks on a Les Paul or an ES guitar. They are too wide for my taste. Moreover, a Les Paul is so damn HEAVY and offcenter. Whenever I pick up a Paul, I am immediately disenchanted by its offset body weight, thus I hate to play them. My ideal guitar is Gibson electronics in a Fender Strat guitar, AKA Eddie Van Halen's "Frankenstein" guitars.

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 12:06

Les Pauls are indeed REALLY heavy things to have slung 'round your shoulders. That said, have you ever played a Rosewood Telcaster like the one George used on the Apple rooftop with the Beatles. They weigh a ton!!

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
Giacas View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 17:19
I dunno, both have their good points, depends on the style of music you wanna play. Don't like the SG model myself, i hate how forward the bridge is, but the les pauls are nice, and strats/teles are both good to play aswell. Still, I think i prefer the less mass produced makes, like maverick/PRS. You gotta love PRS lol
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2005 at 05:02

Originally posted by Giacas Giacas wrote:

I dunno, both have their good points, depends on the style of music you wanna play. Don't like the SG model myself, i hate how forward the bridge is, but the les pauls are nice, and strats/teles are both good to play aswell. Still, I think i prefer the less mass produced makes, like maverick/PRS. You gotta love PRS lol

Yeah, I can't deny the bridge on SG are a little obtrusive for me too when playing. On the other hand, I love the fact that they are very slim and you feel very close to the playing surface.

As for PRS. I think they play very well but I've never liked the look of them.

All in all, I like my tele and ocassionally, I noodle on my Strat copy as it has a really nice action but I'm happy to stick with what I have.   

The Owl View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2005 at 11:04

This Owl is an SG lover (Gibson or Epiphone) to the core and I also dig ES-335 type axes. I like both of these because they play so easy and DON'T kill your shoulder like a Les Paul (and you can reach the upper frets a lot easier).

While I like the SOUNDS a Strat can produce, I just cannot stand the way they feel physically to play, it's like you have to FIGHT them to death. I do however like things like the Ibanez S-series strat-style axes, all the tones and plays like a dream:

People are puzzled why I don't dig the Stones, well, I listened to the Stones, I tried, and I tried, and I tried, and--I Can't Get No Satisfaction!

www.myspace.com/theowlsmusic
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2005 at 19:38
I might have asked this before (old age alert!) but anyone ever play a fretless guitar?
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 04:32

Originally posted by James Lee James Lee wrote:

I might have asked this before (old age alert!) but anyone ever play a fretless guitar?

Nope, but I've seen one played and it's a very strange sound indeed. Imagine a well oiled cheerleader slipping down a slide made of soap, singing Indian ragas and you're in the ballpark.  

On a more serious note, the sustain the guy got off that beast was impressive but like any fretless, your playing has to be spot on to keep the bugger in tune.

The Silent Man View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2005 at 08:36
I've just bought a Gibson Les Paul. I've always wanted one... mostly because it's a Gibson Les Paul!! (Sad I know!)
The sound is absolutley incredible. It's shocking. It just has this beautiful something going on in those pickups and that big awkward body. But... I just don't like it. I can't play it properly.

I've had a Strat for years. I love my Strat. Embarrassed. It's Vintage Creamy-white with a maple neck and on the advice of a trusted music store owner I put in a set of Kinman HX Woodstock pickups which are truly the greatest invention since the Strat itself. A Strat just feels right. It's softer, smoother and so well balanced.

After playing a Strat, playing a Les Paul is like trying to play a brick. Its such a shame. I was really looking forward to having another good guitar to play but I've hardly touched the poor Gibson.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2005 at 08:43
While on the subject I'd like to strongly recommend Kinman Strat pickups. They acheive PERFECT Strat tone, but they are COMPLETELY silent. More so than humbuckers even. And they are not at all like other silent pickups I've heard, ones that seem to cut the sound, like a gate, to avoid noise. These are just magical. The frequency range and depth in their voice is just mind-blowing.

http://www.kinman.com/

(they also have a great section called Tone Workshop that helps you set up your axe properly.)

Has anyone else tried these pickups? I'd like to hear what you think. Or about any aftermarket Strat pickups for that matter...
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity.
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 04:58
Originally posted by The Silent Man The Silent Man wrote:

While on the subject I'd like to strongly recommend Kinman Strat pickups. They acheive PERFECT Strat tone, but they are COMPLETELY silent. More so than humbuckers even. And they are not at all like other silent pickups I've heard, ones that seem to cut the sound, like a gate, to avoid noise. These are just magical. The frequency range and depth in their voice is just mind-blowing.

http://www.kinman.com/

(they also have a great section called Tone Workshop that helps you set up your axe properly.)

Has anyone else tried these pickups? I'd like to hear what you think. Or about any aftermarket Strat pickups for that matter...

I'm in the market for some new pickups for my Strat so thanks, I'll give these guys a look.
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 12:25

Here's my baby:

She needs a bit o' work. I've got a dead spot (no sustain) right around the 12th fret on the high E. I've tried a few adjustments, but I don't wanna funk it up.

I got a Fender Champ 30 watt for my birthday. Something to make a little noise and annoy the neighbors.

Please excuse the crappy focus, eh?

Edited by danbo
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 14:31
I get problems with that every now and again. It's hard to fix on your own cos you need good tools and engineering rulers and all sorts of magical things! I remember trying once and I couldn't decided whether my adjustments had made it better or worse!!!

I once gave an old Strat to a guitar store to fix up cos it was sounding pretty bad but they just made a bigger mess of it. I searched the internet for help and found a guy who lived nearby who took it in and it came back perfect. He touched up a couple of fret wires and straightened out a kink in the neck. Didn't cost much... $40-50 maybe?

I live in Ireland though! If you wanna get it fixed I think it's worth looking around to find the guy who seems to know what he's talking about.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity.
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 09:44
Originally posted by The Silent Man The Silent Man wrote:

I get problems with that every now and again. It's hard to fix on your own cos you need good tools and engineering rulers and all sorts of magical things! I remember trying once and I couldn't decided whether my adjustments had made it better or worse!!!

I once gave an old Strat to a guitar store to fix up cos it was sounding pretty bad but they just made a bigger mess of it. I searched the internet for help and found a guy who lived nearby who took it in and it came back perfect. He touched up a couple of fret wires and straightened out a kink in the neck. Didn't cost much... $40-50 maybe?

I live in Ireland though! If you wanna get it fixed I think it's worth looking around to find the guy who seems to know what he's talking about.

Finding a guitar luthier that can do a good job is a rare thing but they're worth their weight in gold if you can find one. I used to use Chandler guitars in West London as they have a big reputation in the guitar world (Prince has his guitars fixed there when he's in the UK) but recently the last few set-ups they've done for me have been average at best so I've taken my business elsewhere.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>