Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Synopsis of ’THE LAMB’

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Synopsis of ’THE LAMB’
    Posted: February 27 2006 at 18:53

Rael, a Puerto Rican New York punk is walking down Broadway, returning from a hard days night as a graffiti artist, when a lamb appears before him and proceeds to lie down. Rael is simultaneously engulfed by a 'wall of death' and transformed into a fly on  a windshield. He then embarks on his surreal journey.

He watches his brother work in a factory producing lifeless packaging that looks strangely humanoid, and gets trapped in the cage of his own memories before heading back towards the womb in the company of the carpet crawlers. Rael manages to crawl away, and finds himself in the chamber of 32 doors, only one which leads out.

The blind Lillywhite Lilleth promises to lead him out by following the breeze, but instead dumps him in the waiting room. There he meets The Lamia, a trio of snake-babes who lure him to their pink water pool for a topless massage. But it all goes wrong when they start nibbling at his flesh and then shrivelling up. In desperation, Rael starts eating them instead.

Retracing his steps, he runs into a colony of Slippermen, an ugly bunch of hedonists devoted to the pleasure of the flesh. His brother is already one of them, and it appears that The Lamia have turned Rael into one as well. The only solution is castration by the evil Doctor Dyper. Rael and the other Slippermen are reduced to wandering around with their balls in a yellow plastic tube hung around their neck.

When a raven swoops down and steals Rael's bollock necklace, he gives chase, but the raven throws the necklace into a ravine. He scrambles down the scree to the bottom of the ravine where he meets his brother [again], who is struggling to stay afloat in the rapids. Rael rescues him, only to discover that his brother is ....himself.

What does it all mean?

RoyalJelly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 19:06
     Somebody sold Pete some bad acid. No, just kidding...you might as well
ask, what does the "Ulysses" of James Joyce mean? There's all types of
psychological metaphors and archetypes in it, and I've always looked on it as
a parable of the soul in the process of freeing itself from various kinds of
social and posychological oppression. The Grand Parade is clearly a picture
of the individual soul snuffed out by a society based on mechanized
consumerism.
Soulman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 19:32
Well I think in the trueness of it all, we'll never really find the purpose behind the Lamb. I'm sure Pete didn't write the songs for the Lamb with some general message that he wanted to give people. It's mainly the general effect or "sense" are what the lyrics should give to the listener. The lyrics are mainly are all there to be figurative so the listener can gain a general sense of what people like Rael do universally in those KINDS of situations.

Though if I were to predict, I'd think it'd have something to do with alienated rebellious youth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Don't Kill the Whale, Dig it Dig it" - Jon Anderson

I shall live by those words all my life Jon
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 19:42
I think it may be some sort of commentary on the sexual revolution.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 19:50
mutton
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 19:57
This is the first time I have heard a Puerto Rican named in ANY prog band 

REPRESENT!

VanBuren View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 20:14
ok...well...that was an somewhat accurate synopsis of the plot of Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, what's your point?
Losendos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 20:22

Excellent synopsis. I don't think as a story it means much. To me the story is more a vehicle for different emotions

abandonment, (chamber of 32 doors ),alienation ( fly on a windshield), crucifixion (the cage ), rage ( Back In NYC ), first sex ( Counting out Time ),freedom (It),mechanisation (grand parade), tragedy (the lamia), lamentation (silent sorrow), humor ( colony of slippermen)

It's pretty open ended. One interpretation is as good as another.

How wonderful to be so profound
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 20:22

Having done some research on how the album was initially recieved and the bands own recollections I thought I would post some of those findings!

''It got a pretty mixed response in terms of reviews-and from the fans initially''. Banks remembers.''people tend to look back and see it as the culmination of the early era of the band, but it wasn't seen that way at the time. I t was darker than our earlier albums, and being a double album it took people longer to get into''.

''When it was done, I rember thinking ''phew!'', guitarist Steve Hackett recalls. ''some albums are a natural birth. This one was defineatly a breech birth. It came out kicking and screaming, rather than in the tranquility of a birthing pool in your living room''.

''It didn't feel like a glorious moment or anything.'' Banks agrees. ''I was pleased with the album, but it was rather a bumpy ride. There's a dark edge to the album all the way through, and maybe the fact that we weren't at our happiest comes across''.

'' The others were not happy and didn't go down well with the rest of the band, to be honest''. says Banks.'' We'd always written the lyrics between us. And I still feel now that it would have been a better album if other people had been involved as well. It was fairly fragmented concept. There was scope for a lot of things other people could have done.''

''Once Peter was saddled with the lyrics, he took less part in writing the music than he might have done'' says Banks.''Most of the music was written without any lyrics, we'd write bits to illustrate various parts of the story. Some of the more experimental ideas like Fly On A Windshield and atmospheric pieces like Silent Sorrow In  Empty Boats were just improvisations that we could edit into shape later''.

CryoftheCarrots View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 20:42
Gabriels introduction to "The Lamb" live on Archive he say's "weve just written a whole bunch of story music we'd like to perform for you" I think Story music says it all-it doesn't have to mean anything.The whole story of Rael is a typical querky tale of PG's.Like the one on the sleeve of Genesis Live. I love it.
Duncan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 21:00
Originally posted by VanBuren VanBuren wrote:

ok...well...that was an somewhat accurate synopsis of the plot of Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, what's your point?

Keyword 'somewhat'. And it's all laid out in Gabriel's original liner notes anyway!
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 03:59
I gave few links to useful information in previous "Lamb" theme:

http://www.rawbw.com/~marka/music/lamb.html    ;...etc
DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 02:55
acid/narcotics
+occult/ritual+intellectualism/spirtualist+
music/scribe = the lamb lies down on broadway.

quite the potion.

Edited by DallasBryan
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 03:31

Progger,

Do you write for Classic Rock magazine (February 2006 issue, page 40)? If not, you should give credit where it it due. We don't want any copyright issues now do we? Wink

(All -  that issue has an excellent article on the album)

Post Reply Post Reply