FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2.1 speaker system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 07:01
"There are 3€ speakers... does it means that a 300€ speaker will be 100 times better?"

Yes, I guess so. At least more so than 70€ vs. 7,000€. Why? Simply because the quality of a system cannot be improved indefinitely. There is a natural limit, and the more money you spend, the closer you can get to that limit. Likewise on the bottom end you get really crappy systems, which greatly improve in quality for even small increases in price.

The only question is: where is the threshold, the point where you really have a good mix of price and quality? I'd say that for speakers it should be around 500€ (just a guess). From that price on upwards you get much less quality increase for your money.
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 07:25
"Yes, I guess so. At least more so than 70€ vs. 7,000€. Why? Simply because the quality of a system cannot be improved indefinitely. There is a natural limit, and the more money you spend, the closer you can get to that limit."

You can go very far.

"The only question is: where is the threshold, the point where you really have a good mix of price and quality? I'd say that for speakers it should be around 500€ (just a guess). From that price on upwards you get much less quality increase for your money."

Not easy to answer, it also depends about the number of sources, i'd say from 15 000 to 30 000€ for the whole.

Edited by oliverstoned - April 27 2006 at 07:26
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 07:37
For me the 70€ speakers that I have right now represent the minimum level - below that quality I'm having trouble enjoying the music, at least at normal volume level. For listening at the office during work (low volume, with volume normalization) my 5 year old Logitech speakers for 20€ are doing fine.

If I had much money to spare, I would consider buying a good 5.1 speaker set for 2,000€ ... but that would be my top limit, I'm not spending more on speakers.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 07:40
5.1 set is the worst thing to buy!

A pair of bookshelf on good feet with a sub is the good deal.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 07:45
Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

5.1 set is the worst thing to buy!

A pair of bookshelf on good feet with a sub is the good deal.

My 5.1 system is essentially a 2.1 system with a pair of speakers for the back. Where's the difference? I need it for watching movies (obviously) and for listening to SACD/DVD-Audio 5.1 mixes. Normal stereo playback is only using the 2.1 part, so I can't really see where the problem is.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 08:05
Instead of having two decents speakers and a good sub, you get a false sub and many bad speakers.

Moreover, 5.1 is crap!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 08:09

Instead of having two decents speakers and a good sub, you get a false sub and many bad speakers.

Moreover, 5.1 is crap!

We live in a 3 dimensional world ... when I play a computer game or watch a movie, I want to hear the sound of things behind me - coming from behind me!

BTW: There are also audiophile 5.1 systems. Just 2 more amps & speakers, no difference to a proper 2.1 system.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 08:11
A 38 cm give the 3D effect -and the matter and dynamic- that your 5.1 will never do!

But if it's to play stupid video games or bad movies, yes, turn on a 5.1 set up, that will be fine.

Only music lovers deserve good hifi!

Edited by oliverstoned - April 27 2006 at 08:16
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 08:19
^ that's the most ridiculous thing you ever said, oliver. The bass (subwoofer) has nothing to do with the surround effect.

And please stop the bitching. I mention "movies", you reply "bad movies". I mention games, you reply "bad games". I mention music, you reply "trash metal".

Where is all that negativity coming from - and why is it directed at me?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 08:57
Mind you that a 38cm reproduce extreme low freq which are responsible of the so-called "surround" effect.
A crappy 20 or 30cm makes false low, just" Boom boom ".

I was just saying that good hifi is only needed to listen to (good) music and not to play "games" or to watch american movies.

No, definetly, good hifi is not for you!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 09:01

Mind you that a 38cm reproduce extreme low freq which are responsible of the so-called "surround" effect.
A crappy 20 or 30cm makes false low, just" Boom boom ".

I was just saying that good hifi is only needed to listen to (good) music and not to play "games" or to watch american movies.

No, definetly, good hifi is not for you!

Ok, now we've reached a new low with "american movies suck".

I hate to break it to you, but you're absolutely wrong with your "deep bass creates surround effect" theory. Maybe you mean that the bass seems to come from everywhere - that's true, because the human ear is unable to determine where deep sounds come from.

However, usually "surround" means a system with which you can place individual sounds of a recording anywhere in a position around the listener - and not just left-middle-right. 5.1 is the standard here (although there are even 7.1 or 8.1) - and what do they all have in common? Yes, one big subwoofer in the center.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 09:58
Originally posted by Sacred 22 Sacred 22 wrote:

Oh, and getting back to distortion. Generic audio equipment never lists IM distortion in it's specs. Good high end gear does. I wonder why????? [IMG]height=17 alt=Ermm src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley24.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

They list harmonic distortion, which can be pretty much eliminated with negative feedback which oddly enough increases Intermodulation distortion. Intermodulation distortion is "hard sounding" and rapidly brings on listener fatigue. Nasty stuff indeed!

Read this:

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2518

About the X-Fi soundcard and - among other things - intermodulation distortion.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 10:27

Please Oliverstoned. Why attack Mikes taste in music, film and leisure activities?

Edited by Snow Dog - April 27 2006 at 12:25
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 12:21
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by Sacred 22 Sacred 22 wrote:

Oh, and getting back to distortion. Generic audio equipment never lists IM distortion in it's specs. Good high end gear does. I wonder why????? [IMG]height=17 alt=Ermm src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley24.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

They list harmonic distortion, which can be pretty much eliminated with negative feedback which oddly enough increases Intermodulation distortion. Intermodulation distortion is "hard sounding" and rapidly brings on listener fatigue. Nasty stuff indeed!

Read this:

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2518

About the X-Fi soundcard and - among other things - intermodulation distortion.

Mike, this can be very misleading. Often a 1000 Hz sine wave is fed in to measure distortions, and yes the figures appear to be good. It's not always accurate though. To be fair, a complex music signal should be used as a test signal.
That's why it's so important to listen to equipment before buying. I have a Creative Audigy 2 ZS sound card in my computer and it is hooked up to my home system as well as a high end CD player. I can safely say that the high end CD player is much better sounding. Now, that's not to say that the sound card sounds bad. The biggest problem it suffers is in the digital to analog circuits.

Anyway, you have to trust your ears and when you hear a good system you never forget it. That's why I ended up buying a good home audio system.
I have studied electronics and one of my instructors and I spent a lot of a lot time listening to music, drinking beer, and discussing audio circuits/equipment. He was convinced there was much more to it than specs alone and he definitely preferred my system to any other he had heard. The proof is in the ears. He came in with a very skeptical attitude as well. I find most engineers do, except the really good designers of audio gear like Nelson Pass as and example.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 12:29
^ It's nice to meet an audiophile person who not only has engineering skills, but also uses modern computer audio equipment.Smile

I agree with much that you're saying - remember that I'm not saying that a computer sound card like the Audigy sounds as good as a high end D/A converter. But I AM saying that it sounds decent and one can listen to it without being constantly reminded about the fact that it's a computer he's listening to.

But I do notice a considerable improvement with the X-Fi (I previously also had an Audigy 2 ZS). That and a really good (considering value for money) speaker system like the Logitech X-210,230 or 250 can make you a very happy listener - compared to even some hi-fi systems which are three times as expensive. That's why I'm promoting it - I never said that this 180€ package could rival a 5,000€ system.Smile  
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 22:11
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ It's nice to meet an audiophile person who not only has engineering skills, but also uses modern computer audio equipment.Smile

I agree with much that you're saying - remember that I'm not saying that a computer sound card like the Audigy sounds as good as a high end D/A converter. But I AM saying that it sounds decent and one can listen to it without being constantly reminded about the fact that it's a computer he's listening to.

But I do notice a considerable improvement with the X-Fi (I previously also had an Audigy 2 ZS). That and a really good (considering value for money) speaker system like the Logitech X-210,230 or 250 can make you a very happy listener - compared to even some hi-fi systems which are three times as expensive. That's why I'm promoting it - I never said that this 180€ package could rival a 5,000€ system.Smile  

It's a hobby I enjoy and the music isn't bad either. I think we can learn a few things with such discussions as long as people don't get overly personal. I got into the hobby one day and ten years later I can say I am happy with the system I have. The one thing I am most proud of is the cross-over for my speakers. I removed the original cross-over and re-designed it. The parts alone for the design cost me almost $1000.00. The difference in sound was and is monumental. That's the real pleasure I get out of it. Now, I simply listen to the music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456