FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClepsydra

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clepsydra
    Posted: February 28 2006 at 22:31

One of my favorite progressive bands is Clepsydra.

Just wanted to get some feedback from others who enjoy this excellent band!

glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 08:19

Well, this band deserves more than this !

I've got Fears and Alone. Imho two really good records. Especially like the voice of Aluisio Maggini. He's great. Cheers for Clepsydra.

eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 10:55

I am not at all excited by the whole bunch of neo-prog bands and their monotonous output, but IMO Clepsydra is an outstanding group, and, probably the best in this sub-genre. I have "Hologram", "Fears" and "More grains of sand". "Fears" is my favourite. I am only missing their latest album "Alone", but it's on my wish list.

Great band!!! Enjoy!

carefulwiththataxe
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 11:22

I have Clepsydra's album "Alone."Smile

I find it to be merely average neo prog -- it's pretty good, but it doesn't really "grab" me, like, for example, IQ (my fave "neo" act) can.Ermm

If and when I review it, I'd probably give it 2.5 - 3 stars.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 11:47
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

I find it to be merely average neo prog -- it's pretty good, but it doesn't really "grab" me, like, for example, IQ (my fave "neo" act) can.Ermm

Oh, well, tastes are different, and I do not like IQ that much. I have ten albums by them and find it pretty boring, especially constant moaning of Nichols, and the other vocalist in no better. However, thanks for a warning about "Alone". I think I'll try to listen to it first before I buy it.

carefulwiththataxe
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 12:03
Originally posted by eugene eugene wrote:

Oh, well, tastes are different, and I do not like IQ that much. I have ten albums by them and find it pretty boring, especially constant moaning of Nichols, and the other vocalist in no better. However, thanks for a warning about "Alone". I think I'll try to listen to it first before I buy it.

You're welcome, eugene.Smile

I'm puzzled -- you have TEN albums by a band you consider "pretty boring?" Why so many then, pray tell? Confused

Careful with that axe, BTW....Wink

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 14:16

good thread!

clepsydra is the perfect definition of neo prog: simple, emotional music with floating modern keyboards, ear candy keyboards and lush guitar solos!

unlike IQ and Collage, Clepsydra are simpler, so that it is a really easy listen! i suspect many women should like them! you listen them with your heart, not your mind! the lead singer's vocals are VERY expressive!Clap

[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 15:58
Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

good thread!

clepsydra is the perfect definition of neo prog: simple, emotional music with floating modern keyboards, ear candy keyboards and lush guitar solos!

unlike IQ and Collage, Clepsydra are simpler, so that it is a really easy listen! i suspect many women should like them! you listen them with your heart, not your mind! the lead singer's vocals are VERY expressive!Clap

well, greenback, Friede and I absolutely agree with the first part of your statement: they are the perfect definition of neo-prog. but the 2nd half of your statement could not be more wrong. we are women and we do NOT like them. the younger of the 2 of Friede's brothers has an album by them. he is into all kinds of neo-prog. we found them quite boring. no flesh nor fish nor bone...

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 18:04

Originally posted by eugene eugene wrote:

You're welcome, eugene.Smile

I'm puzzled -- you have TEN albums by a band you consider "pretty boring?" Why so many then, pray tell? Confused

Careful with that axe, BTW....Wink

I am kinda completionist. I used to like Wake, Subterrania and Dark Matter a lot, and decided it's good idea to have all albums by IQ in my collection. So I collected them all except for live ones (do not like live recordings as a rule, with some exceptions) and maybe some bootlegs. And now, having all their works, when I say it's boring and repetitive - I really mean it. Also childish moaning of their vocalists is getting on my nerves with the time.

I normally stop further collection of any artist's works after the one very disappointing album. Thus, for example Arena and Spocks Beard are finished for me after after "Pepper" and "Octane" respectively. Same goes to Kaipa and Dream Theater after their latest albums.

I stopped to collect Genesis after when they were three. I finished with King Crimson after Discipline, but return back to them after Thrak. Etc etc etc...........

And, funny enough, my affair with IQ is not over yet, as I consider Dark Matter to be their best. 

And I noticed that you are among the few who read the posts carefully from the beginning till very end including signatures, which is quite pleasant.

carefulwiththataxe
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 23:10
well, if you listen carefully to the Alone album, you will notice that the floating streams of keyboards would probably win the award of being the most intense & dense in the prog music history: that's insane!! just turn up the volume, and you'll be set!

Edited by greenback
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 13:24

I have More Grains of Sand,and it's excellent!!!One of my favouritest neo-concept works!!!"The Prisoners Victory" sounds in my head just right now...what a solo!!!What a 13/8 part!!!I adore it!!!
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 15:11
 I can't find any of their music on large-scale sites, so I don't have any yet. I REALLY want some though.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 15:41
I have all Clepsydra's studio albums and consider "More Grains.." to be one of the best albums ever made. With that in mind, the other albums would pale in comparison. They do - they seem rather dull and uninteresting compared to "MGOS". They are actually all quite good - just that MGOS is outstanding. I can see how the vocalist could drive people mad with his poor pronunciation of English but I find it rather endearing and love his tonal quality. If anyone has information where one could obtain the bootleg live album that is in the listings on this site I wish they would let me know - I've been after it for some time.
 Post Reply Post Reply