Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDeep Purple in Australia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AfanSpur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deep Purple in Australia
    Posted: March 06 2006 at 05:03

A truly magnificent modern prog band called The Mars Volta recently played three cities in Australia. The show I saw captivated me. It was truly magnificent. Sigur Ros are in Sydney on April 12 th also.

TMV show was one in which i'm sure the 2500 supplicants will in years to come be able to say "and I was there" Hopefully Deep Purple (prog?)will leave the same impression.

There stands Olias to outward to build a ship
Holding within all we hope to retain
The frame will be so built to challenge the universe
Clasped with the skins of the fish of the plain

S Lang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 05:20

Sorry EriK, I don't mean to knock Status Quo, it's just that they've never left a strong enough impression on me - unlike Paul Rodgers with Free and later of Bad Company. That is in the context of rock-and-roll. The bass player of SQ did start up a band in Australia - called "The Bombers". They had extremely limited success here - and I admit, I've never heard a note from them, ever.

Is Steve Smith still with Journey? I thorughly enjoyed his Jazz-rock excursion with a band he called "Vital Information" (Transformation)? Very difficult to find copies of that ensemble.

Was Don Airey supporting Jeff Beck before Colosseum II? Or Gary Boyle?

I did manage to get very good seating to DP after all - 10 rows from the stage and I am really looking forward to see Steve Morse and Ian Gillan performing at a close range.l

Edited by S Lang
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 18:47
This summer I will see Deep Purple and Status Quo (along Journey and Roger Waters) on the Dutch Arrow Classic Rock Festival and I am looking forward to see them both, I love Deep Purple (featuring Don Airey, ex-Colosseum II) but also the straightforward heavy boogie-woogie by Status Quo, sorry S Lang ... .. but Roll Over Lay Down, Caroline and Down Down are very precious to me!
Fede View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 18:09

I'm happy too because they come back to Argentina !!!

S Lang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 05:22

I am happy and also somewhat disappointed to share that DP is coming back to Australia in May.

Happy, because their last visit was a truly enjoyable experience. Remarkably tight music performed convincingly, where Steve Morse stole the show, while Jon Lord was clearly bored... This time Don Airey is the new keyboard player.

I am disappointed because they were put on the same bill with Status Quo - a band that I don't care much for and wouldn't bother to see even for free. Nevertheless, to see DP, I now have to fork out extra premium ticket prices. Still, some of the shows are already sold out and I can't get through to the bloody Ticket Office - the phone is constantly engaged.....

Post Reply Post Reply