Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedit’s because Pavlovs Dog were not British

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 11:51
Song Dance thanks for the thoughtful thread and welcome to pa. Lately we have had a rash of new posters who start negative threads. Back to the topic, I need to dig out the old stuff and give it a spin.
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 11:54

I would agree with Song Dance till some extent.

Pavlov's Dog is a very good band, and voice of Surkamp is absolutely unique, but not for everyone's taste. I personally like it very much. It reminds me in moments about greatest female vocaliste of all times Ms. Edith Gaston (Piaf).

Yes, this band is underrated, but I don't think it would help if they were British...

carefulwiththataxe
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 14:42

Cool, a civilized thread...  I was even thinking in purchasing at least the 1st album, but the reference to Piaf's voice froze me.

In fact, I like Edith Piaf but her voice is totally dated and extremely feminine, however I'm fed up to hear it from a male singer, since we have some of these singers here in Brazil and they annoy me a lot.

Guigo

~~~~~~
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 14:54

I will check them out as well.  Seem to have flown under my radar all these years.

I just went back and found Touch for some great early (1969) American prog.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 15:13
Surkamp`s voice was definitely a handicap. Whever Ithrow either balbum on the turntable I try and block out his vocals. I don`t  know if anyone out there would agree with me but Bruford doesn`t even sound like Bruford on the one track he plays on.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 15:33

I consider myself a Pavlov's Dog fan, I even wrote the Biography of them for PA (Something I would have never done if I didn't liked their music) and rated very high Pampered Menial (4 stars), but there are some questions to answer:

• Are they underrated?: Surely, they are almost unknown or hated because of the simplicity of their music (something I like very much in their specific case) and mainly because of David Surkamp's voice.
  • Why are they underrated?: Because they were born 6 or 7 years too early, they played something that could be qualified as Art Rock or Neo Prog in 1974 when Prog bands were doing their most complex stuff. While Yes was creating Gates of Delirium, Genesis songs like In the Cage or ELP Karn Evil 9, Pavlov's Dog was playing Julia, Late November or Song Dance that were too simple for 1974. In the 80's or 90's they would have been a success.
  • Are they Good?: Yes they are
  • Are they great: No way, most of their more famous songs like Julia and Late November are nothing but poppy ballads, but of course they have excellent tracks as Preludin.
  • What's their most important feature?: David Surkamp's voice, his range is simply horrendous, like a mixture between Geddy Lee and the Chipmunks, but the guy knows how to work with it. He used the same technique than Edith Piaff to make his voice tremble at the end of the phrases (Something used by French Chansoniers) creating an incredible effect.
  • Is their nationality a problem?: No way, in the late 70's bands as STYX (AOR) and Kansas (100% Prog) were at their peak and both are from USA.

If it wasn't for David's voice (Something a lot of people hate), they would have only been a "C" class band with nothing really special, and probably felt into AOR.

Sadly I'm a fan, but I try not to be blinded by my taste (It's easier to be subjective and like something withoout questions or analyze, but that's not my case).

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12