Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZak Starkey - Drummer Extraordinaire?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zak Starkey - Drummer Extraordinaire?
    Posted: March 03 2006 at 18:33
When I first bought the Who's Albert Hall DVD, I was just blown away by Zak's drumming. No Moon but fills the shoes very well, even better than Jones. Daddy certainly brought him up right and I'm sure he's very proud.

From what I've read was that Keith being a close friend of dad's, was referred as Uncle Loon by him as a kid and taught him a few things as well as his dad. It certainly shows.

Also besides Zak, Dahni and Julian, Macca's son (name escapes me) plays guitar too. Sons of Beatles anyone? AKA SOB!

Edited by marktheshark
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 19:28

Zak is a great drummer indeed. I saw him playing in a local pub! Believe it or not. He was a guest of some rock band who were playing there that night. He did a duel drum solo with the band drummer and it was fantastic; very tight and very technical. I didn't know it was him until someone told me afterwards.

Two weeks later he walked into a music shop, that I happened to be browsing in. He was buying drum sticks. We talked for about five minutes about drums and the gig I saw him at. Nice chap too!

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 19:41
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Zak is a great drummer indeed. I saw him playing in a local pub! Believe it or not. He was a guest of some rock band who were playing there that night. He did a duel drum solo with the band drummer and it was fantastic; very tight and very technical. I didn't know it was him until someone told me afterwards.

Two weeks later he walked into a music shop, that I happened to be browsing in. He was buying drum sticks. We talked for about five minutes about drums and the gig I saw him at. Nice chap too!

Wow! I would've liked to have been there! I'd have a zillion questions to ask him.
stan the man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 21:27
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

thats awsome.  I agree with marktheshark, he really fills well for moon.  He is better then his dad but ringo is criminally underratted imo. 

true as a lobster in a pteredaktyl's underpants.

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 16:41

From the parts of that gig I heard, Zak was a far better Moon replacement than Kenney Jones was- he's less slick, and managed to recapture the spirit of Keith Moon whilst adding his own thing. I loved hearing 'Baba O' Riley' at that gig!

However, I believe Zak plays with Oasis primarily- who are hardly going to stretch him, let's face it.

marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 17:14
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

However, I believe Zak plays with Oasis primarily- who are hardly going to stretch him, let's face it.

I'd love to see what he could do in a prog band. I think he's got the chops.
 Post Reply Post Reply