FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVan Morrison

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Van Morrison
    Posted: March 08 2006 at 11:00
Just gotta tell you I saw him in concert Monday night and his voice was fabulous!  Had a 13 piece band with him and it was a great sound.  He sang some of his country stuff from his new album and it was okay but the older songs overwhelmed them.  I had never seen him live and it was a thrill to be in the same room with him.  He is as unpretentious as they come and he sang his heart out on every tune.  Everyone there received a blessing.  I only hope he doesn't wait another 28 years to visit the Dallas area again.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 02:53

Astral Weeks (his debut solo album after leaving Them) is one of the most beautyful and melancholic album I know>> great to get cosy with the mistress in distress

Moondance (second album) has some merits too>> but the brass section is too present

St Dominic's Preview is also another top notch album with lenghty tracks

Most of the other early albums are average IMHO, but I will say that Hard Nose The Highway (impressive artwork) has got two sublime tracks , but the rest is rather weak

A good lady friend of mine went to see him twice in the last five years but came out really disappointed (she thought the first time was a bad night so she wanted to give it another shot) , plusthe ticket price were horrendously high (but this is alsodue to the venue , not just to the promotor or the artiste)

She thinks that Van is one of the worst communicator and certainly has an over-inflated self-importance problem which greatly hampers his show , which both times started late and were rather short.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 11:25

My experience was obviously much better than your friend's.  He started right on time and, since I had heard about his poor bedside manners, I was not disappointed that he didn't address the audience much.  And the venue, Nokia Theater in Grand Prairie, Texas, is a wonderful place to hear an artist like Van.  I sat right in front of the sound board so I got the engineer's mix.  I don't have a favorite album, I just put him on from time to time and let his music just take me somewhere different.  Seems like when I have been down in my life he's been there to console me and put me back on the "Bright side of the road."

"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 13:05
I really love Astral Weeks and his double live album It's Too Late To Stop Now, and I also like to hear him play with The Chieftains. An Artist with a capital A, Van the Man
tdreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 19:38
Love the old guy. ' Enlightenment ' & Avalon Sunset are ace albums. Don't fancy his new un much it's mostly covers of country & western songs.
DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 02:21
Back on Top a 90's album recalls his heyday and is probably the last glimp we get of his great past. Well worth a listen if you havent discovered it.
tdreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 14:54
Originally posted by DallasBryan DallasBryan wrote:

Back on Top a 90's album recalls his heyday and is probably the last glimp we get of his great past. Well worth a listen if you havent discovered it.

Agree there 'Back on Top' is a good one.
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 13:35
Thanks for the tip.  He has so many albums it's hard to know where to begin.
 Post Reply Post Reply