Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCANADIANS! Can-con a rip-off?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Do you think Can-con is fair?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [75.00%]
2 [25.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: CANADIANS! Can-con a rip-off?
    Posted: March 13 2006 at 01:55

Sorry to tilt the scales so far to one side on this, but my message is to my fellow Canucks and the brain-washing Can-con ( Canadian content) laws. I read a post by a Canadian the other day who named several Canadian bands in their favs catagory. I got to thinking, did the Can-con brain police get this person? Or do they really like these bands? Lets face it, as far as rock goes Canadians hardly set the world on fire. We are mediocre, luke warm at best, in our rock output. You see here in Canada we have to listen to Canadian bands BY LAW! If a radio station doesn't play it's 35% Canadian content, the station is pulled off the air.No kidding. We are forced fed inferior music while missing out, or at least have to wait ten minutes or more to hear a real band. Don't get me wrong. there are good bands here, the beloved Rush, for a start, but sooo much more is just- well, crap.

Now, this is obiviously just my opinion, but what do you think about being forced fed, by law, your countries less than wonderfull musical out-put instead of the popular well known mainstream bands. - ie America and Britain

Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 07:44

We have those things to in Europe and when this Can-con thing got installed in the early 80's , this sounded normal to promote the local artistes. But Canadians like Belgians or French are always complaining that the grass is geener elsewhere, when in fact it is not the case. Canadians always suffer a bit from this inferiority complex towards the gigantic US neighbor , but they have nothing to ba ashamed of!!!

From Guess Who , to Neil Young to BTO, to Rush , Triumph, Saga, FM , all of the 70's Quebec scene , Joni Mitchell, April Wine, Leonard Cohen,Streetheart, Lightfoot, Prism, The Collectors-early Chilliwack, Bruce Coburn etc.... Canada had nothing to be ashamed of....... Well maybe of Ann Murray>> the most bland artiste ever

But Can-con was needed to stop Much Music becoming a second class MTV , even though groups like Rough Trade were getting too much a spotlight, it helped plenty of Canadian groups , but never actually did it intelligently by simply ignoring a part of Canada (that very part it does not want to leave)

Sure in the late 70's we had to suffer from mediocre Zon, Moxy , Teaser , Loverboy, but there was some very stupid reason why even in Toronto (some few hundred miles away from Montreal) , a whole Quebec scene was completely snobbed and snubbed>> Harmonium was barely heard, and Maneige, Octobre, Sloche simply NEVER. Even Cano who were Ontarians were completely ignored because they sung in French (and then they wonder why Quebec wanted to separate)

Today's prog scene seems to be still quite active especially again in the Quebec scene and again this Can-con could help them a fair bit , but again , since they are from Quebec (well Nathan Mahl is from french Ontarians descent), they are probably not getting proper exposure even though they sing in English ............... Go figure............

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 13:29

I think that it is a brilliant idea.

Rush have stated several times that but for the Can Con directive they would have struggled even more to get any kind of airplay and precious exposure.

I think that all countries that suffer badly from the over-exposure of American and British performers in their media at the expense of home-grown talent should adopt this policy.

Except the French,no one should be forced to listen to French Pop Music.............

darren View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 14:47
Originally posted by Witchwoodhermit Witchwoodhermit wrote:

Lets face it, as far as rock goes Canadians hardly set the world on fire. We are mediocre, luke warm at best, in our rock output. 

We also tend to be overly self critical and dismissive of any of our own artistic talent.

There's a lot of great Canadian bands out there. I guess some are good at ignoring the bland American, British, etc. music that is out there. It's amazing very few discuss the advantages of CanCon laws and the reason they were brought to being in the first place.

"they locked up a man who wanted to rule the world.
the fools
they locked up the wrong man."
- Leonard Cohen
Witchwoodhermit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 17:26
It's nice to see a level of loyalty amongst Canadians in regards to our music. My biggest beef with Can-con is how we are FORCED to listen to it. If you were a Canadian band, wouldn't you want your music played because people wanted to hear it, as opposed to it being part of a mandatory government "hit list"? This is my issue.
darren View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 00:13

Just because an artist is Canadian, doesn't mean it's going to get airplay (just ask musicians like Emm Gryner and Mike Plume).

Just because a song or album is by a Canadian doesn't mean it's inferior. Also, just because a song is inferior, doesn't make it Canadian.

Just because a Canadian artist gets airplay, doesn't mean it's going to be a hit.

Just because CanCon laws are in effect, doesn't mean you are "FORCED" to listen to it (there are buttons to change stations, shut it off or you can ignore the song).

If a Canadian band has a hit, doesn't mean it's due to CanCon laws.

Just because I like an artist who is Canadian and buy the CD, doesn't mean "The Brainpolice" or some government conspiracy has brainwashed me. Otherwise, I'd own several Loverboy, Nickleback, Celine Dion and Brian Adams albums and I'd have purchased many copies of "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald". I own none of these.

I've worked in radio. If a station doesn't live up to the CanCon laws, it is not "pulled from the airwaves". The station gets fined and this sometimes happens. Most stations have no problem at all making the quota. Many stations find this a non issue as their playlists usually exceed the required content anyway with artists that the programmers want to play and people want to hear.

the fools
- Leonard Cohen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 08:33

It's nice to see a level of loyalty amongst Canadians in regards to our music. My biggest beef with Can-con is how we are FORCED to listen to it. If you were a Canadian band, wouldn't you want your music played because people wanted to hear it, as opposed to it being part of a mandatory government "hit list"? This is my issue.

This brainwashing with local talent, is it better or worse than the radio brainwashing from outside talent.

although 40% might seem atrociously high a percentage , I do not think that these protective rules really alter that much the overall musical landscape since what we get is constant crap from commercial radios regardless of the origin of the country.

But if I was you and your buddies, I would telephone to those radio stations requesting to hear those modern day canadian rock artistes (no need to mention they are prog to scare them away)

Even though Payola will always make them play more Anne Murray, you might just get some Hamadryad. 

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 09:26

darren

Just because ...you dance around so nicely.

Do you not think that Canadian music should should stand on it's own two feet, rather than be constantly handicapped? If our rock stars were as up too snuff as our American or British superiors why then do we need CanCon? Could it be that our weak output is less than...great? I'm not saying get our music off the air. I'm saying let it stand alone-unaided. Canadian bands should always get a first shot at the airwaves, but if the music is poor and unrequested, stop playing it. But the music doesn't get stopped does it? No, it keeps going around and round to fill the quota. We talk here about progressive rock and how some bands use filler in their music. CanCon is filler for Canadian radio.

darren View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 16:59

<SPAN
=bold>darren</SPAN>Just because
...you dance around so
nicely.

Do you not think that Canadian
music should should stand on it's own two feet,
rather than be constantly handicapped? If our rock
stars were as up too snuff as our American or British
superiors why then do we need CanCon? Could it
be that our weak output is less than...great? I'm not
saying get our music off the air. I'm saying let it stand
alone-unaided. Canadian bands should always get
a first shot at the airwaves, but if the music is poor
and unrequested, stop playing it. But the music
doesn't get stopped does it? No, it keeps going
around and round to fill the quota. We talk here about
progressive rock and how some bands use filler in
their music. CanCon is filler for Canadian
radio.

I commented on each of your points about being
"FORCED" to listen to "mediocre" and "substandard"
crap. Now you are saying your point is about
Canadian talent being handicapped... and I'm
dancing?

Part of the reason CanCon laws came into effect
was because many who were in charge of
programming on radio (and many today) shared your
opinion that Canadian music was crap. The
programming was guided by the trade magazines
that covered what was popular in places like L.A.,
New York and London and then playlists were made
accordingly. Very few Canadians couldn't make it
here, nevermind elsewhere. Canadian talent was
being shut out of their own market based on that
assumption that their music was mediocre crap. In
the early days of CanCon, many stations were
getting around the law by having what insiders called
"The Beaver Hour" or "Maple Leaf Time" where they
would play all Canadian music all at once at times
like 4a.m. to 7a.m. on a Sunday when few were
listening anyway. This gives you an idea of how
much respect Canadian music was given.

Let's face it, if the law was to play 85%, if it is
mediocre crap, nobody's going to listen or request it
and the whole radio industry would die.

I don't think that these laws breed mediocrity, just
provide a level playing field. There is a lot of great
Canadian talent out there, maybe not to your taste
(and to a large extent, not mine either) but it's not fair
at all to a blanket assumption that it's mostly crap.
the fools
- Leonard Cohen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 17:31

I don't think that these laws breed mediocrity, just
provide a level playing field.

You see, this is the rub. I don't see how this can be a level playing field. If Canadian talent is given an immediate handicap via Cancon, how can their level of airplay be concidered on par,or as popular as the "big" bands. All I'm saying is this, if I'm listening to the Tragically Hip on the radio at say ten minutes to the hour, I know I'm listening to CanCon. If I where listening to an American station and heard the Hip it would be because they like the band. Do you understand my point? This is what I mean about an even playing field.

I realize I'm very critical about our system, and believe it or not, there are many Canadian bands I listen too. I would say however that most of Canadian rock, isn't up to international standards, and thats ok. We can live with that. Lets just call a spade a spade. We can have our good stuff, but leave the "crap" on the second shelf. And certainlly not doled out in 35%( or more) propotions.

Peace Frog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 15:55

Well,the States seem to be the most dominant in the field of music, because they are the biggest media output in the entire world. So, if Canadian stations only played the most popular music, they'd only be playing what the rest of the continent was playing. USA already have the advantage, so this sort of gives rise to the deserving, talented Canadian bands, even though it is forced.

And actually, the Canadian indie scene has blown up as fast as the Seattle gunge scene did in the early nineties. Not as big, but just as fast. Think of the Arcade Fire, who are, IMO, a genius band with lyrics better than Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Porcupine Tree put together. They deserve  to be heard  by more than just Canadians. But, the problem with that is popularity, and if they become too popular they'll lose all of their meaning if they give in to the evil record labels.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 17:22

Perhaps Can-con was a "rip off" at its inception, but not for some time now, I believe. Ermm

I understand and support why the Canadian Content ("can-con") regulations were established, and I believe that overall, they have been good for the Canadian music industry and radio audiences.

It wasn't always the case, but we have many fine artists now, thus as Darren suggested, I don't think that Canadian radio stations, or the listening public, endure any "hardship" due to the regulations.Smile

Edit: Oops! I voted incorrectly, as the thread title and poll question are opposite in thrust. Confused

(So that should be one more "yes" and one less "no." Sorry!)Embarrassed

Edited by Peter
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 13:39
ROUGH TRADE - WEAPONS!LOL
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
darren View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 00:31
I meant it creates a level playing field by getting us out of our self loathing that we Canadians have down to a fine art.

Edited by darren
the fools
- Leonard Cohen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 11:26
Agh, what does it matter anyway? It's just tunes. I'm going to throw on the Headstones, grab a Moosehead and watch a North of 60 rerun.

Edited by Witchwoodhermit
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 11:37

Agh, what does it matter anyway? It's just tunes. I'm going to throw on the Headstones, grab a Moosehead and watch a North of 60 rerun.

Ooooooohhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!..................

They still brew that?

Get a loadful of third rate Cony Hatch than!

Now there is one band that definitely profited from Can-con!!!!!!!!

not that they diserved it, though!!

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 17:11
^^^ Game set and matched! You just proved my point. Thank you. .
 Post Reply Post Reply