Topic ClosedVirgin Black - Thrice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virgin Black - Thrice
    Posted: March 14 2006 at 14:50

Not yet listed here on PA, but cleared by the Progmetal Team, Virgin Black is an avantgarde-doom metal band which has released two album (Sombre Romatic & Elegant...But Dying).

The following is taken from www.blabbermouth.net:

VIRGIN BLACK To Release Three Albums Simultaneously - Mar. 11, 2006
Australia's dark-metal-hybrid act VIRGIN BLACK will follow up their well-received 2003 offering "Elegant...and Dying" by releasing three albums simultaneously in 2006 on The End Records. Each CD is "a separate entity, but each is also linked through recurring musical themes and artistic motifs," according to a press release. "When fully unfurled in all its grandeur, listeners will experience a grandiloquent two-and-a-half hour requiem mass with three stages of evolution."

The three albums are described in the following way:

* "Requiem – Pianissimo" is an entirely classical album with instrumentation performed by the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra, and featuring spectacular choral arrangements along with tenor, mezzo-soprano and soprano solo voices. "Requiem – Pianissimo" forsakes guitars and drums in favour of the melancholic tragedy and bombastic dynamics of classical composition.

* "Requiem – Mezzo Forte" is where the band joins the orchestra and strikes a balance more reminiscent of previous VIRGIN BLACK outings, albeit with greater epic breadth.

* The final album, "Requiem – Fortissimo", unleashes a sound infinitely heavier than anything in VIRGIN BLACK’s history. While still retaining an air of classical sensibility, it concludes the series with an intense dose of death/doom.

A release date for the albums has not yet been set.

Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 14:52

That sounds very ambitious. Now one should wonder if the result fulfills the expectations in the end?

I like the only Virgin Black album I have(that's "Sombre Romantic"), so why not, might as well check them out. I wonder how "Requiem – Fortissimo" is going to sound. The description sounds fascinating, I don't even know how that's even possible!

-- Ivan

Post Reply Post Reply