Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIron Butterfly? This site is ridiculous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iron Butterfly? This site is ridiculous
    Posted: March 14 2006 at 21:32
Well this site has now officially become useless. This is no longer "the prog archives", it is now "the all music ever made archives".
Hierophant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 21:34
Get used to it 

Oxygen Waster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 21:37
This site is brimming with usefullness
Ofur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 21:38
The owners of the site should at least stop pretending this site has anything to do with prog.
The Rock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 21:41

I have no problem with Iron Butterfly in PA.

Get over it.

What's gonna come out of my mouth is gonna come out of my soul."Skip Prokop"
Ofur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 21:43
In a few months Elvis and the Sex Pistols will be on the archives.
Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 21:44
Originally posted by Ofur Ofur wrote:

In a few months Elvis and the Sex Pistols will be on the archives.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 21:50

Yeah

Witchwoodhermit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 21:55

Elvis---the godfather of prog

And what is wrong with Butterfly?

Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
robertplantowns View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 21:59
I bet none of you have listened to every Iron Butterfly album, so you really have no ability to judge their entrance based solely on In-a-Gadda-da-Vida.  They're just as proto-prog as any other proto-prog group on this site, and even more prog than Deep Purple (which is one of my favorite groups)  Iron Butterfly did more to develop a metal sound (dare I say it) before Led Zeppelin and they are completely overlooked for their achievement.  I guarantee none of you have listened to all their albums from 1968-1970 so I don't think any of you are qualified to speak on this.  Go listen to their discography from the first line up, then come back and tell me that you think they deserve to be on this site as much as any other proto-prog group, I dare you.    

Edited by robertplantowns

The Ryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 22:02

Those who listen to the golden age of prog are just an example of one demographic that will be angry about all these Iron Butterflys and Deep Purples. These bands wern't prog in 1971, and they aren't prog now.

I know this sites rediculous... I agree but where else can you go that has such a large member pool and artist-base? I hope someone duplicates this site but puts strict limits on bands that are posted.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 22:05

Today this site has 2.298 bands, of which 17 (including Iron Butterfly) are listed in the special subgenre of proto-prog (not really Prog), representing less than 1% of the total.

First, if one judge the entire site taking these less than 1% as an example I believe no justice is being made. Imagine someone calling all French people as right-wings or fascists because LePen received 15% of the votes. Is it fair?

Second, I still believe that the roots and the history of prog-rock shall be told and this site is probably the best place to do that. Can someone presently admit that the History of the Americas began the day they were 'discovered' by Columbus with the natives and other visitors being forgotten?

I ask you to think about these issues. Thanks.

Edited by Atkingani
Guigo

~~~~~~
Ofur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 22:16
How convenient of you to ignore the other sub genre definitions that are not prog and all the bands listed in those sub genres and mention just "proto-prog" to arrive at your 1%.
DrGoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 22:21
Nobody is going to agree on what "prog" is, so if you're militant enough to care about it, go make your own site. All it takes is time, and a copy of "Solipsistic websites for dummies".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 22:25
"Ok that's it, now that Iron Butterfly is on here, the entire site is completely useless. Yes I can't take it anymore, this site is so watered down that the label of prog music fails to have a meaning anymore because this site now includes "every music ever made" even though the label that the band I'm complaining about isn't even labeled or purporting to be prog in the first place!!  Yeah it's really SOO ridiculous to include a group that highlights the early stage and the development of progressive rock music, because that really has NOTHING to do with prog right?" 

Haha, seriously you guys need to get over this, take a chill pill, and go listen to Iron Butterfly and make up your mind rather than sitting here and venting having no knowledge of the material of the band you are so persuasively  speaking about.  Then maybe you should consider the entire meaning of PROTO-PROG and then reflect on that for a little while, and then crank some more Iron Butterfly tunes and realize that they did have a pretty big influence on the heavy sound that progressive rock groups would come to adopt.

Ofur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 22:25
Nobody agrees on what prog is? Well then I demand that Elvis and The Sex Pistols be put on the archives.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 22:27

Nobody agrees on what prog is? Well then I demand that Elvis and The Sex Pistols be put on the archives.

Nobody said that Iron Butterfly was prog.  If you look very carefully at the label they are put under it is called Proto-Prog.  I refer you to my previously mentioned comment.  I think we can all agree that Elvis had no direct influence on progressive rock, and that the Sex Pistols and the punk movement regressed rock.  I think many of us could make an argument for the direct impact that Iron Butterfly had on rock and if you took the time to listen to their catalog you would probably agree, but of course it's much easier for you to bash them without any knowledge at all. 

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 22:38

How convenient of you to ignore the other sub genre definitions that are not prog and all the bands listed in those sub genres and mention just "proto-prog" to arrive at your 1%.

Well I thought we were talking about Iron Butterfly (hence the sub genre they are included) not about "other sub genre definitions".

Guigo

~~~~~~
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 22:44

Honestly I feel less uncomfortable with Iron Butterfly and Proto Prog (A sub genre acceopted by most sites and Prog' literature) than with bands as ELO and Prog Related.

Iron Butterfly was not 100% Prog', but I'm sure it was Proto Prog.

Iván

Ofur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 22:48

Originally posted by robertplantowns robertplantowns wrote:

Nobody said that Iron Butterfly was prog.  If you look very carefully at the label they are put under it is called Proto-Prog.  I refer you to my previously mentioned comment.  I think we can all agree that Elvis had no direct influence on progressive rock, and that the Sex Pistols and the punk movement regressed rock.  I think many of us could make an argument for the direct impact that Iron Butterfly had on rock and if you took the time to listen to their catalog you would probably agree, but of course it's much easier for you to bash them without any knowledge at all. 

Why do you assume I've never heard anything with Iron Butterfly? Why are you acting like they aren't here solely because of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida? Are you pretending to own all Iron Butterfly albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>