Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKansas/Journey Oddity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DolphinFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kansas/Journey Oddity
    Posted: April 04 2006 at 21:25
Garion81 - Totally agreed.  I heard that when Ian Anderson was questioned about The Eagles "borrowing" of the music to We Used To Know as the basis to Hotel California, Ian kind of brushed it off, saying something like the Eagles should take Tull out to dinner or something.  And that was the entire song!  Got to admit though, I had never heard the journey song before and was convinced that they ripped off Carry On...then I read about the release dates, and went "oh"...
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 16:36

Yeah Yeah Yeah Journey is still bitching that Kansas stole the riff.  People used other peoples riffs all the time even if Kerry did "borrow" it.  There is no reason to think he outright stole it he constructed that song very quickly and wrote it in guitar rather than keyboards or piano which is his usual instrument to compose  Who knows?  Maybe he heard it in passing and it just stuck?   It isn't the main riff in the song and has nothing to do with verse/chorus structure.  The songs are nothing alike except for that riff.  

Maybe Journey should have used it in a better song then they could make the claim but it just sounds like sour grapes to me.  What if Kansas used the riff in a song not so popular I am sure you wouldn't hear a peep out of them.  

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Jack-a-lynn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 16:25

Originally posted by DallasBryan DallasBryan wrote:

most are not aware that Journey's first two albums are progressive rock before Steve Perry ruined them!

steve perry RUINED journey?!? news to me... imo he's one of the greatest voices in rock.

"from the moment i could talk, i was ordered to listen." -cat stevens

DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 21:22
most are not aware that Journey's first two albums are progressive rock before Steve Perry ruined them!
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 21:13
  whatever
DolphinFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 21:05

Kansas fans!

Check out Journey's "I'm Gonna Leave You" from their 1976 release Look Into the Future

I just heard this for the first time the other day and thought I was listening to "Carry On Wayward Son".

allmusic.com says Leftoverture was released Oct of 1976 and Look Into the Future in Jan of 1976. 

Hmmm...don't get me wrong, Livgren's genius is beyond question in my book...but I couldn't help but notice the odd similarity between the riff in "I'm Gonna Leave You" and the...secondary riff?...in Carry On...

Anyone else notice this or have any more insight?

Post Reply Post Reply