Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDemons & Wizards? (The band)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 07:28

Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Oh, and personal Issues are an Issue - Look at Robert Fripp

They CAN be an issue, but they don't necessarily HAVE to be. But of course they can be, but nowadays a lot of bands have band member that live half the world away from eachother.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 07:37

to NaturalScience

This is a risky thing to do now, because this means this thread will move to another forum. But, let's do it anyway.

I am in a minority (of one) who thinks Night of the stormrider (2nd release) is the best IE release. The first s/t isn't bad as well. They are both 80's metal sound, speedy guitar riffs with high pitched vocals. Night... is a concept album (a feature that keeps coming up in IE albums) and the music is very energetic and you can't help but move along with the songs. The first track (Angel's holocaust begins with an edited version of a sample of Carmina Burana and slides excellently into a spped metal song. The last song (Travel in Stygian) is a short epic song, revealing the more emotional and melodic sides of the band (Jon Schaffer).

Another excellent album is The Dark Saga, another concept. The trilogy of songs ending this album are the best songs by IE till now - The ending song has beautiful music and an excellent performance by Matt Barlow (vocals).

Burnt Offerings is a usual metal release, nothign special about it. THe Horror Show is very mediocre. As is the first CD of The Glorious Burden. The second CD containing the 3 part epic Gettysburg is quite good, particularly the first track - The devil to pay.

IE is essentially a one-man band (much like Death of Chuck Schuldiner R.I.P).

IE and Blind Guardian have been friends for many years (you can see the reciprocal gratitudes in the booklets of both bands cd's. THere have been many comparisons between them, and they were often called Blind Earth and Iced Guardian. This comparison is not valid IMHO. While they are maybe in the same metal camp (power, heavy, speed etc) there is not much resemblance.

As they are friends Hansi and Jon decided to collaborate on an album that will combine their sounds. And suprisingly they did it - The first album sounds like Blind Earth or Iced Guardian. Sounds from both bands are there. The recognizable speedy riffs of IE and the voice and musical tone of BG.

Again, good but non-essential.

Not prog either.

Edited by avestin
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 07:38
Originally posted by disastercasper disastercasper wrote:

Oh, and personal Issues are an Issue - Look at Robert Fripp

They CAN be an issue, but they don't necessarily HAVE to be. But of course they can be, but nowadays a lot of bands have band member that live half the world away from eachother.

Well that is my point - they CAN be, which happens frequently with Jon

Demons is not a band - it is more of a project that is not the main focus of both Hansi and Jon who are both working on their new albums.

Edited by avestin
disastercasper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 07:49
OK, well i thought you meant they HAD to be. D&W is indeed not a real band, so in this case Shaffer's personality will not have played that big a role.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 07:55

^^^

What did you think of D&W?

disastercasper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 08:31
I really like their first album, it's great. I don't know the second one, the reviews were very positive, but in here I only hear negative things about it
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 08:36

^^^

Well the second is a fine album, it just is not enough to really make you love it. THere are good songs on it, but I guess I was ind of disapointed a bit after the first. 3-3.5 stars, somehting like that (though not on a prog scale).

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 10:09

to NaturalScience

This is a risky thing to do now, because this means this thread will move to another forum. But, let's do it anyway.

I am in a minority (of one) who thinks Night of the stormrider (2nd release) is the best IE release. The first s/t isn't bad as well. They are both 80's metal sound, speedy guitar riffs with high pitched vocals. Night... is a concept album (a feature that keeps coming up in IE albums) and the music is very energetic and you can't help but move along with the songs. The first track (Angel's holocaust begins with an edited version of a sample of Carmina Burana and slides excellently into a spped metal song. The last song (Travel in Stygian) is a short epic song, revealing the more emotional and melodic sides of the band (Jon Schaffer).

Another excellent album is The Dark Saga, another concept. The trilogy of songs ending this album are the best songs by IE till now - The ending song has beautiful music and an excellent performance by Matt Barlow (vocals).

Burnt Offerings is a usual metal release, nothign special about it. THe Horror Show is very mediocre. As is the first CD of The Glorious Burden. The second CD containing the 3 part epic Gettysburg is quite good, particularly the first track - The devil to pay.

IE is essentially a one-man band (much like Death of Chuck Schuldiner R.I.P).

IE and Blind Guardian have been friends for many years (you can see the reciprocal gratitudes in the booklets of both bands cd's. THere have been many comparisons between them, and they were often called Blind Earth and Iced Guardian. This comparison is not valid IMHO. While they are maybe in the same metal camp (power, heavy, speed etc) there is not much resemblance.

As they are friends Hansi and Jon decided to collaborate on an album that will combine their sounds. And suprisingly they did it - The first album sounds like Blind Earth or Iced Guardian. Sounds from both bands are there. The recognizable speedy riffs of IE and the voice and musical tone of BG.

Again, good but non-essential.

Not prog either.

Thanks avestin, I'll add this info for my ever-growing list of things to check out...
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 11:49

Thanks a lot guys!

Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 19:02

Didn't see how old this thread was... but basically if you like both Iced Earth and Blind Guardian you SHOULD have the Demons And Wizards albums.

Also, if you haven't gotten any Iced Earth, there's always "The Blessed and the Damned". Basically one of those cheap record company "best ofs", but actually has a GREAT tracklist!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12