Topic ClosedAnthology of Cosmic Music

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anthology of Cosmic Music
    Posted: November 07 2004 at 11:40

I have  a double CD box on the Retro label called "The anthology of cosmic music". The sleeve notes are however non-existent, no recording dates, concert locations, source albums, etc.

It has seven live tracks by Hawkwind, such as "Space is deep", Brainstorm" etc., all available elsewhere. It has two sets by Van der Graff generator, one consisting of seven Peter Hammill compositions such as "The liquidator", "Rift Valley" etc. The other has 6 tracks mainly composed by Banton and/or Jackson, ("Saigon Roulette", "The Main slide" etc.) but none by Hammill. Anyone know the source of these live recordings?

The most intriguing is 8 tracks, all composed by "unknown"Confused, by Amon Dull II and Robert Calvert. Anyone got any background info on these tracks. Did Calvert ever join AD2, or was he just a guest on stage? Why are the composers of these tracks ("Big Wheel", "Urban Inidan", "Drawn to the flame" etc.) not known?

These Retro boxes are good value, (there are others by Yes, Asia/Wetton, a prog compilation, etc.) but they are almost devoid of info.

Petra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2004 at 12:08

Oh id read somewhere that Calvert and Dave Anderson had worked with a side project of Amon Duul II called Amon Duul UK headed by ex member of the original band John Weinzierl  maybe its those recording?

Don't hate me
I'm not special like you
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2004 at 12:23

I read that Anderson played on "Phallus Dei" and "Yeti". Calvert joined Anderson for the Amon Duul UK project, and made one album I know of called "Hawk Meets Penguin". I wouldn't recommend it...

Track names;

1. One Moment's Anger is Two Pints of Blood (Weinzierl)
  2. Meditative Music from the Third O before the Producers (pt 1) (Amon Düül II)
  3. Meditative Music from the Third O before the Producers (pt 2) (Amon Düül II)

Edited by Certif1ed
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 14:47

Robert Calvert, the singer of Hawkwind (who must not be confused with sax player Robert Calvert of Catapilla and Mother Gong) did indeed play with the British Amon Düül. He appears on 2 albums, "Die Lösung", where he sings all the vocals but for one track, and uncredited on "Fool Moon", where he recites a German text about sensory perception to the band's playing on one track. Although he is not credited on "Fool Moon" anyone who is familiar with the voice will easily recognize it. His accent when speaking German is horrible, even worse than mine  (I'm American by birth and came to Germany in 1993).

Oh, and by the way: His appearance on "Fool Moon" is, as far as I know, the last recording of his voice before his demise.

Oh, and these Amon Düül must NOT be confused with Amon Düül 2. There are 3 bands named Amon Düül: Amon Düül (German), Amon Düül 2 (German) and Amon Düül (British). I'm currently trying to get Amon Düül (German) and Amon Düül (British) included in the archives.

The British Amon Düül were founded by guitar player John Weinzierl of Amon Düül 2 and bass player Dave Anderson of Amon Düül 2 and Hawkwind. Other well known members of other bands include: Guy Evans of Van der Graaf Generator and Ed Wynne and Joie Hinton of the Ozric Tentacles.

Edited by BaldJean

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 14:58
Many thanks BJ, I knew you'd be able to help!Thumbs Up
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 15:26
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I read that Anderson played on "Phallus Dei" and "Yeti". Calvert joined Anderson for the Amon Duul UK project, and made one album I know of called "Hawk Meets Penguin". I wouldn't recommend it...

Track names;

1. One Moment's Anger is Two Pints of Blood (Weinzierl)
  2. Meditative Music from the Third O before the Producers (pt 1) (Amon Düül II)
  3. Meditative Music from the Third O before the Producers (pt 2) (Amon Düül II)

"Hawk Meets Penguin" is certainly not for everyone, but for the lovers of early Krautrock it is a must; it is mostly in the "free from music" style. A more accessible, but also much more mainstream album of the British Amon Düül is "Meetings With Men Machines - Unremarkable Heroes of the Past", which has only one really excellent track (but a very excellent one!), "Burundi Drummer's Nightmare". "Die Lösung", their 3rd album, is also more accessible than "Hawk Meets Penguin", but it is a lot better than "Metings With Men Machines"; especially the vocals of Robert Calvert make it worth listening to. "Fool Moon" sees the band declining again, and I only really like the first and the last track on it (the last being the one in which Robert Calvert has his cameo appearance and "sings").

Edited by BaldJean

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 15:37

Yeah, I've seen a few of these 'Retro Gold' sets, but I'm always wary of cut-price stuff; I'm suspicious by nature and always suspect these aren't originals due to the price.

I think everything on this compilation originally came out on the 'Demi Monde' label in the 1980s, which Dave Anderson owned, incidentally.

The Hawkwind stuff is most likely to be either the 'Space Ritual Volume 2' sessions- unused material from the Space Ritual tour, which has good sound, or the 'Bring Me The Head Of Yuri Gagarin' material, which is live at the Empire Pool in 1973, with dreadful sound. These recordings have done the rounds on hundreds of labels. Hope this helps you!

By the way Easy Livin', is the VDGG stuff all instrumental or does it have Hammill's vocals on it? I know for sure that the tracks you mention are from an album called 'Time Vaults' but have never bought it.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 15:55

The main problem with "Hawk Meets Penguin" isn't so much that it's inaccessible - it's more that it's bloody awful! 

...and you'll note that I was very careful to point out that it was the Amon Duul UK project

Edited by Certif1ed
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 15:55
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

Yeah, I've seen a few of these 'Retro Gold' sets, but I'm always wary of cut-price stuff; I'm suspicious by nature and always suspect these aren't originals due to the price.

I think everything on this compilation originally came out on the 'Demi Monde' label in the 1980s, which Dave Anderson owned, incidentally.

The Hawkwind stuff is most likely to be either the 'Space Ritual Volume 2' sessions- unused material from the Space Ritual tour, which has good sound, or the 'Bring Me The Head Of Yuri Gagarin' material, which is live at the Empire Pool in 1973, with dreadful sound. These recordings have done the rounds on hundreds of labels. Hope this helps you!

By the way Easy Livin', is the VDGG stuff all instrumental or does it have Hammill's vocals on it? I know for sure that the tracks you mention are from an album called 'Time Vaults' but have never bought it.

"Time Vaults" indeed has the vocals of Peter Hammill on it, but the recording quality of it is sub par, which is especially notable for "(In the) Black Room". It has some good tracks on it though. I would especially recommend "Roncevaux", "Rift Valley" (this one being a song in which a riff is used which also appears in "Meurglys III - The Songwriter's Guild" from "World Record" by VdGG) and "The Liquidator"; also one funny track called "Time Vaults", in which the band cites classics like "Je T'Aime" and "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer".

The lyrics of these songs (for those tracks that appear nowhere else) can be found here:
Roncevaux: http://www.sofasound.com/vdgcds/misclyrics.htm#3
Rift Valley: http://www.sofasound.com/vdgcds/misclyrics.htm#9
The Liquidator: http://www.sofasound.com/vdgcds/misclyrics.htm#8

Edited by BaldJean

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 15:56

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

The main problem with "Hawk Meets Penguin" isn't so much that it's inaccessible - it's more that it's bloody awful!

Just goes to show how opinions can differ; I love that album.

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 15:57
Thanks BaldJean; I may get this one just to fill in a gap in the VDGG/ Hammill collection.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 16:44

I can recommend it Salmacis. I shared your concern about the Retro type compilations, but I've picked up a few of them now, including "Asia and John Wetton", "The Yes story", "Uriah Heep gold", An anthology of progressive folk" etc.,

While the lack of sleeve notes and background information is frustrating, they do contain some interesting, and sometimes hard to find stuff.

greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 21:15

to me , cosmic music is more like this:

Planetary Unfolding -- album cover

have you tried it?

BON VOYAGE!

[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 09:32
Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

to me , cosmic music is more like this:

Planetary Unfolding -- album cover

have you tried it?

BON VOYAGE!

No picture

philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 10:51
the best cosmic music is the one made for the San Francisco planetarium back to the 60s performed by Henry Jacobs! none rock album can equal this one

Edited by philippe
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 13:06
I think that the 'Uriah Heep Gold' set is a repackaging of the Classic Rock Productions 2-CD set 'Remasters' which consisted of the 1986- line up re-recording old hits, Easy Livin'. Some of these sets look quite interesting though.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 14:59

Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

I think that the 'Uriah Heep Gold' set is a repackaging of the Classic Rock Productions 2-CD set 'Remasters' which consisted of the 1986- line up re-recording old hits, Easy Livin'. Some of these sets look quite interesting though.

Spot on Salmacis, that's exactly what it is. Good to hear the current line up's studio interpretations of some of the classics though.

Post Reply Post Reply