Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Mars Volta

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 22:19
I find Mars volta to be a sub-par band. As a matter of fact I find that The Mars Volta is really just Emo music that has been souped up with annoying electronics, obnoxiously fast riffs that have no real theoretical basis, and an attempt at complex composition ending in cacophonous, out of place, and awkward movements from one part of the song to the next. Their scene/audience also seems to be a bunch of Elitists who really don't know much about music or its theory.

A lot of people I've met that are Volta fans seem to try to make themselves look like they are educated at music theory, when in reality they are mostly simple-minded and couldnt appreciate music such as Henry Cow or Slapp Happy, whose passages have conceptual meaning and (while not always ear pleasing) blend together very cohesively, a staple of their talent and chemistry as musicians.

www.myspace.com/fatherunderground
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 22:32
They Are Not Progressive.
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 22:34
Originally posted by Xenoxen Xenoxen wrote:

O rly?Disapprove

It was worth reviving this thread to say something this ignorant.

Edited by The Miracle - April 22 2006 at 22:35
Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 22:37

How so?
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 22:39

Are too. I can't say I like them all that much, (some parts opf FTM are very good, but then they are ruined by repetition. You only need to listen to the first verse and the chorus of the first 4 songs.) but Cassandra Gemini is most definately prog. It's also the best song on the album, as it has the highest goodness to crap ratio. (only track 9 is boring and unlistenable; the rest is either good or excellent.)

Necro-posting is lame. And you don't want to be lame. Because, duh, it's lame to be lame. :)
Lex C View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 23:03
Originally posted by Tenth Chaffinch Tenth Chaffinch wrote:

I find Mars volta to be a sub-par band. As a matter of fact I find that The Mars Volta is really just Emo music that has been souped up with annoying electronics, obnoxiously fast riffs that have no real theoretical basis, and an attempt at complex composition ending in cacophonous, out of place, and awkward movements from one part of the song to the next. Their scene/audience also seems to be a bunch of Elitists who really don't know much about music or its theory.

A lot of people I've met that are Volta fans seem to try to make themselves look like they are educated at music theory, when in reality they are mostly simple-minded and couldnt appreciate music such as Henry Cow or Slapp Happy, whose passages have conceptual meaning and (while not always ear pleasing) blend together very cohesively, a staple of their talent and chemistry as musicians.

Well I am not a music theory Major and yes I see your point that many volta fans come off as being rather arrogant and usually are ignorant, however saying that the Mars Volta are not a musical, is downright wrong. When I first began listening I thought that it was almost all chaos. However giving it several more listens (I started with Frances the Mute By the way) I realized that in the midst of the Chaos there was structure and repetition and consistency that helped the music to flow. As far as everyone saything that they are like pink floyd and King Crimson, well their live performances are very very psychadelic, and Omar has sighted Robert Fripp as a main influence. Finally, with the mars volta being Emo... No just no, had you said that their lyrics take some massive circumlocution to find the meaning, then yes I would agree, but emo just no!; Even I walked away from Frances the Mute saying man I hate Platapus'.
RoboVampire View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 23:09
I love The Mars Volta and Henry Cow. Two different methods, two different sounds, I like them.
Tenth Chaffinch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 23:09

Their lyrics arent emo. Their lyrics are just nonsensical space fillers added so that the music can have vocals. It's pretty common in music, even King Crimson did it. And believe me, I take a lot of time before I develop an opinion of a groups music. I have listened to a lot of their material and can probably name 10 of their songs that I've heard off hand. It simply strikes me as mediocre, I find it progressive for Emo music but not for Rock in any way.

Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 23:26

"As a matter of fact I find that The Mars Volta is really just Emo music that has been souped up with annoying electronics..."

------

Their lyrics arent emo. Their lyrics are just nonsensical space fillers added so that the music can have vocals. It's pretty common in music, even King Crimson did it. And believe me, I take a lot of time before I develop an opinion of a groups music. I have listened to a lot of their material and can probably name 10 of their songs that I've heard off hand. It simply strikes me as mediocre, I find it progressive for Emo music but not for Rock in any way.

So you're saying that their music is EMO? Care to give a definition of emo music? Wish You Were Here, The Wall, The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 23:41
Meddler, I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer, you obviously don't know too much about music. I will leave you with your lack of knowledge and conduct my business elsewhere.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 23:52

NO!

Read this:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15979&KW=interest for detailed explanationWink

And then my review of FTM: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=72505Embarrassed
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 23:58

Meddler, I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer, you obviously don't know too much about music. I will leave you with your lack of knowledge and conduct my business elsewhere.
Oh lets stoop to nonrelated insults now! I love how arguments go like this! yay! fighting! lets shed some more blood in hopes of gaining absolutely no ground on any topic! I know! lets pull out the yo mama jokes!

ok rant over. Anyways, people call TMV emo which they obviously arent. Emo is MTV produced overgeneric/formulaic CRAP that has a band a minute and the lyrics are 3rd grade poetry. Call it what you will, I personally like the quirkiness of Omar's (I believe) lyrics, and they DEFINITELY tell a ridiculously elaborate story. So much so that there are arguments on what actually happens. And how does having a different opinion than yours qualify as"not knowing too much about music?" I'm through here.

Zoso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:01

With all due respect, which, for you, is very little, I find your statements in this thread to be rather ignorant and distainful. You don't know Meddler. For all you know, he's a musical genius. Don't tell him he knows nothing about music, when he just has a different opinion, which I so happen to agree with.

Also, I wasn't aware that I was, "an elitist who really doesn't know much about music or it's theory", as you so stereotypically put it. Thanks for keeping me, and other Mars Volta fans informed about ourselves.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:04

I stated my opinion, I apologise. I thought adults could move on. Apparently Mars Volta fans can't. I pity you.

Zoso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:05
I'm ignoring that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:06
By the way, Tenth Chaffinch, I'm not here to start any arguments. (damn my font's stuck). Anyways, no one here is stupid or of poor knowledge of music, this is a PROG site, being on it surely means something. And I'm trying to help end the arguments....and make the conversation....dare I say....progress?Wink (sorry if i double post my stupid comp is messed up)

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:10

I stated my opinion, I apologise. I thought adults could move on. Apparently Mars Volta fans can't. I pity you.

Their music is complex, with epics, concept, etc, which is against punk's moral. No punk could ever write something as monumentally beautiful as Cassandra Geminni.

You also said their lyrics are nonsense, that's also wrong; chech the thread I linked to aboveWink
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:12
Originally posted by Zoso Zoso wrote:

I'm ignoring that.
Aha, but by saying that you're ignoring it, you are in fact responding to it, which means you are not ignoring it. Gotcha! :P

I thought adults could move on. Apparently Mars Volta fans can't. I pity you.
Stop being an ass.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:13
Mars Volta is wierd for the sake of wierd. Nothing more, nothing less.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:14
Well, that's your opinion isn't it? No need to force it down the throats of others, especially those who are fans. Trust me, it won't get you anywhere. The forcing of opinions is why I don't even watch news anymore.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>