Topic ClosedThe Mars Volta

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:17
Last thing:

Are TMV apogressive by PA's definition?

• Long compositions, sometimes running over 20 minutes, with intricate melodies and harmonies that require repeated listening to grasp. These are often described as epics and are the genre's clearest nod to classical music. An early example is the 23-minute "Echoes" by Pink Floyd. Other famous examples include Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick" (43 minutes), Yes' "Close to the Edge" (18 minutes) and Genesis' "Supper's Ready" (23 minutes). More recent extreme examples are the 60-minute "Light of Day, Day of Darkness" by Green Carnation and "Garden of Dreams" by The Flower Kings.
Cassandra Geminni. Nuff said.
  • Lyrics that convey intricate and sometimes impenetrable narratives, covering such themes as science fiction, fantasy, history, religion, war, love, and madness. Many early 1970s progressive rock bands (especially German ones) featured lyrics concerned with left-wing politics and social issues.
They cover love revenge, life after death and fantasy(a person going through a coma is the concept of De-loused)
  • Concept albums, in which a theme or storyline is explored throughout an entire album in a manner similar to a film or a play. In the days of vinyl, these were usually two-record sets with strikingly designed gatefold sleeves. Famous examples include The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis, Tales from Topographic Oceans by Yes, 2112 by Rush, Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall by Pink Floyd, and the more recent Metropolis Part II: Scenes from a Memory by Dream Theater and Snow by Spock's Beard. Aqualung, perhaps the best-known record by Jethro Tull, is often regarded as a concept album due to its recurring themes, but songwriter Ian Anderson has always claimed that the album is just "a bunch of songs".
Both of their albums have obscure and deep concepts about love, hate, revenge, etc......
  • Unusual vocal styles and use of multi-part vocal harmonies. See Magma, Robert Wyatt, and Gentle Giant.
Mirenda, Cassandra Geminni, L'via, and much more........
  • Prominent use of electronic instrumentation — particularly keyboard instruments such as the organ, piano, Mellotron, and Moog synthesizer, in addition to the usual rock combination of electric guitar, bass and drums.
Great keyboard work, especially on FTM.
  • Use of unusual time signatures, scales, or tunings. Many pieces use multiple time signatures and/or tempi, sometimes concurrently. Solo passages for virtually every instrument, designed to showcase the virtuosity of the player. This is the sort of thing that contributed to the fame of such performers as keyboardist Rick Wakeman and drummer Neil Peart.
All the time. Read my review for comments on their incredible musicianship
  • Inclusion of classical pieces on albums. For example, Yes start their concerts with a taped extract of Stravinsky's Firebird suite, and Emerson Lake and Palmer have performed arrangements of pieces by Copland, Bartók, Moussorgsky, Prokofiev, Janacek, Alberto Ginastera, and often feature quotes from J. S. Bach in lead breaks. Jethro Tull recorded a famous cover of J. S. Bach's "Bouree", in which they turned the classical piece into a "sleazy jazzy night-club song", according to Ian Anderson. Marillion started concerts with Rossini's La Gazza Ladra (The Thieving Magpie). Symphony X has included parts by, or inspired by, Beethoven, Holst and Mozart
Well, no, but neither did Genesis, Gentle Giant and Pink Floyd.
  • An aesthetic linking the music with visual art, a trend started by The Beatles with Sgt. Pepper's and enthusiastically embraced during the prog heyday. Some bands became as well-known for the art direction of their albums as for their sound, with the "look" integrated into the band's overall musical identity. This led to fame for particular artists and design studios, most notably Roger Dean, whose paintings and logo design for Yes are so essential to the band's identity they could be said to serve the same function as corporate branding. Hipgnosis became equally famous for their unusual sleeves for Pink Floyd, often featuring experimental photography quite innovative for the time (two men shaking hands, one of whom is in flames, on the cover of Wish You Were Here). H.R. Giger's painting for Emerson Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery is one of the most famous album sleeves ever produced.
Their sleeves are masterpieces by Storm

Tongue

Edited by The Miracle - April 23 2006 at 00:17
Tenth Chaffinch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:18

The news doesnt force opinions on you, it simply conveys them in an overly elaborate, easy to misinterpret, and self-indulgent way. It's difficult to listen to because its all a bunch of bullsh*t.

Wait a moment...

Overly elaborate? Easily misinterpreted? Self-Indulgent? Difficult to listen to because its bullsh*t?

Sounds like...MARS VOLTA

Hell you should love the news in that case.
www.myspace.com/fatherunderground
Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:21
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

Last thing:

• Inclusion of classical pieces on albums. For example, Yes start their concerts with a taped extract of Stravinsky's Firebird suite, and Emerson Lake and Palmer have performed arrangements of pieces by Copland, Bartók, Moussorgsky, Prokofiev, Janacek, Alberto Ginastera, and often feature quotes from J. S. Bach in lead breaks. Jethro Tull recorded a famous cover of J. S. Bach's "Bouree", in which they turned the classical piece into a "sleazy jazzy night-club song", according to Ian Anderson. Marillion started concerts with Rossini's La Gazza Ladra (The Thieving Magpie). Symphony X has included parts by, or inspired by, Beethoven, Holst and Mozart
Well, no, but neither did Genesis, Gentle Giant and Pink Floyd.

...But they do play the Doctor Who theme at concerts. Tongue
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:23
Originally posted by Tenth Chaffinch Tenth Chaffinch wrote:

The news doesnt force opinions on you, it simply conveys them in an overly elaborate, easy to misinterpret, and self-indulgent way. It's difficult to listen to because its all a bunch of bullsh*t.

Wait a moment...

Overly elaborate? Easily misinterpreted? Self-Indulgent? Difficult to listen to because its bullsh*t?

Sounds like...MARS VOLTA

Hell you should love the news in that case.
Hahahah you people are sooooo predictable like that. I knew you'd make some sort of connection in that manner. I'm glad you share your opinions with our modern media with me. However, again, to each his own, if its your opinion that TMV suck, then that's your opinion. And lets see....hmmm.....Your little comments seem to be overly elaborate...and the self satisfying insulting of others is DEFINITELY self-indulgent...And I'm finding your bullsh*t difficult to listen to......HMMMMMMMMMMM.........

Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:31
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

If it's my opinion shut the f**k up and talk about something else.

Like you predicted I would say that, you're a joke.
You are proof that the Mars volta crowd is everything I've said and more.

Congratulations, you're a tool.

This is usually said by someone who lost an argumentTongue

Quite true. LOL Its proven that people who can no longer defend their position resort to anger, name calling, attacks towards the person's character, and down-right nastiness.Embarrassed

Edited by Meddler - April 23 2006 at 00:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:32
....sorry....not thinking straight....again see "tired" comment....but my point is that I'm not insulting you or trying to be defensive of a group that I like just because you attacked them, I'll admit that TMV definitely are easy to attack. Just don't stoop to stupid immature comparisons like i hypocritically did.

Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:33

thats right all of you gang up on me. nancyboys travel in pack I've heard

You just proved my point. o_O
Zoso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:33

If it's my opinion shut the f**k up and talk about something else.

Like you predicted I would say that, you're a joke.
You are proof that the Mars volta crowd is everything I've said and more.

Congratulations, you're a tool.

Alright, pipe down. You have your opinion, and we have ours, we've established this. Leave the fans alone, you're allowed to like what you like. I consider myself to be one of the Mars Volta "crowd", and your generalization of us is offensive and frankly bullsh*t.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:34
hahahah random side note if anyone wants to see how stupid america has gotten watch the MTV *i believe and don't make any MTV and TMV are the same letters hahahah or some other dumb sh*t like that comment* show called "Yo Mama"....didnt know whether to laugh or cry knowing that China or the Middle East is going to take over in a few decades.....

and i know 'yo mama' jokes are possibly the most immature "insult" that can be made...and are also very annoying

Edited by heyitsthatguy - April 23 2006 at 00:35

The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:35
Ok, enough. No one's changing anyone's opinions here, let's not reduce ourselves to name calling.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:35
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

....sorry....not thinking straight....again see "tired" comment....but my point is that I'm not insulting you or trying to be defensive of a group that I like just because you attacked them, I'll admit that TMV definitely are easy to attack. Just don't stoop to stupid immature comparisons like i hypocritically did.

you admitted it. i respect you. no sarcasm. lets just end this on this note:

Tenth Chaffinch does not enjoy the music or artistic expressions of The Mars Volta

End of argument, end of hostility.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:37
Thank you very much The Miracle....although I find unintelligent immature arguing entertaining...

Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:37

Your intelligence overwhelms me. Your exquisite use of a varied and deep vocabulary is incredibly, not to mention your incredible grasp on grammar and punctuation. Truly, my good sir, thou art Shakespeare reincarnated.

Or maybe you're just another troll. Does making other people angry make you feel important?
Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:38
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

Your intelligence overwhelms me. Your exquisite use of a varied and deep vocabulary is incredibly, not to mention your incredible grasp on grammar and punctuation. Truly, my good sir, thou art Shakespeare reincarnated.

Or maybe you're just another troll. Does making other people angry make you feel important?

Ghandi 2, as you can see, we're trying to END this. Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:38

Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

you admitted it. i respect you. no sarcasm. lets just end this on this note:

Tenth Chaffinch does not enjoy the music or artistic expressions of The Mars Volta

End of argument, end of hostility.

Thank you very much, this is finally over. Now lets all go back to listening to our respective prog bands....btw animals is my favorite Pink floyd album too Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:40
people! stop picking on this poor person! He's dropped it, no need to pummel him any more! Paaaasiiiive reeeesiiiistaaaance!

Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:41
Originally posted by Meddler Meddler wrote:

Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

Ghandi 2, as you can see, we're trying to END this. Confused
Ah, I took too long typing that, so I missed the reconciliation posts. Ah well. My apologies. Gah, I can't think straight. I should have gone to bed...2 hours ago.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 00:42

Ghandi, you're a fool. I guarantee I am more intelligent than you. I tried to end this argument maturely but of course some predictable drone of society wanders in and stirs emotions up again.

I'm a troll.
Look mommy, talking monkey (pointing at Ghandi 2)
Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

I think it's time to close this thread Stern Smile.
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Damn i made the same mistake. This is getting hackneyed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>