Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat’s On Your Turntable Right Now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 36>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 10:41

Originally posted by Scrambled_Eggs Scrambled_Eggs wrote:

That's a great record, especially the last cut, think I'm going to listen to that right now, it must have been years since last.   

AngelRat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 16:46
AngelRat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 16:56

Followed by:

Bastille Dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 20:11

I love my vinyl collection which grows larger everyday.

Witchwoodhermit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 02:15
Ah, Stratosfear thats the ONLY tandream I have on vinyl. Great album, embraced the era, but stayed the same. Your cover shown of Rubycon is different from mine-different colour...Hey!
Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
AngelRat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 03:26

The Rubycon cover above is also slightly different from mine. It's just a different shade of blueish.

TD stuff I have on vinyl: Zeit, Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet, Stratosfear, Encore, Sorcerer, Cyclone, Force Majeure, Tangram

ummagumma08 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 04:59

Originally posted by AngelRat AngelRat wrote:

The Rubycon cover above is also slightly different from mine. It's just a different shade of blueish.

TD stuff I have on vinyl: Zeit, Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet, Stratosfear, Encore, Sorcerer, Cyclone, Force Majeure, Tangram

You really need their debut "Electronic Meditation" from 1970, organ/guitar driven psych/kraut, reminiscent of Floyds "A Saucerful of Secrets". That's way better than their later new-age stuff. I pretty much like Phaedra, but their post-Phaedra material really isn't that appealing (perhaps except for Force Majeure).

Originally posted by witchwoodhermit witchwoodhermit wrote:

Ah, Stratosfear thats the ONLY tandream I have on vinyl. Great album, embraced the era, but stayed the same. Your cover shown of Rubycon is different from mine-different colour...Hey!

Don't you grieve, Post Atem TD, the virgin issues, aren't that difficult to get hold of, in Denmark they usually cost around 7-10$, and there's plenty of them. If we are talking about original German pressings of their first couple of records on the German Ohr label, then it get's interesting!   

Now playing:

AngelRat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 14:32
Originally posted by ummagumma08 ummagumma08 wrote:

You really need their debut "Electronic Meditation" from 1970, organ/guitar driven psych/kraut, reminiscent of Floyds "A Saucerful of Secrets". That's way better than their later new-age stuff. I pretty much like Phaedra, but their post-Phaedra material really isn't that appealing (perhaps except for Force Majeure).

[

I do have "Electronic Meditation", albeit not on vinyl, only on cd. Interesting album it is, I won't say I like it more than their new age stuph though...

Dr. Occulator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 14:48
Mostly old 70's & 80's stuff. l
Last thing I listened to was Badger's One Live Badger album. (Innocent & nostalgic)
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
erlenst View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 15:01
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 15:04
I'm much more into their Virgin period to be honest.

Edited by salmacis - March 26 2012 at 13:38
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 15:10

I do have "Electronic Meditation", albeit not on vinyl, only on cd. Interesting album it is, I won't say I like it more than their new age stuph though...

Glad that you say "only on CD" CD is SUCH an inferior format, I never buy CDs unless absolutely nescesarry.

Electronic Mediation has recenlty been reissued on 180g quality vinyl, you can get it new for 13€ Here, I strongly advise you to get your CD replaced. The original Ohr pressing has the value of (according to "Cosmic Price Guide to original Krautrock records 2006, 2nd ed.") 140€!

Now playing:

First Pressing on black/white virgin label, just found it today, FANTASTIC music.           

Edited by ummagumma08
WillieThePimp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 16:20

And then....

You can't possibly hear the last movement of Beethoven's Seventh and go slow. ~Oscar Levant, explaining his way out of a speeding ticket
Firepuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 16:45

Glad that you say "only on CD" CD is SUCH an inferior format, I never buy CDs unless absolutely nescesarry.

Electronic Mediation has recenlty been reissued on 180g quality vinyl, you can get it new for 13€ Here, I strongly advise you to get your CD replaced. The original Ohr pressing has the value of (according to "Cosmic Price Guide to original Krautrock records 2006, 2nd ed.") 140€!        

Really?! I have an original copy of Electronic Meditations on vinyl - I'll have to check and see if it is an Ohr pressing.

Currently have close to 1000 progressive rock LP's, many of them imports (European and Japanese)

Still play them too!

Kryten : "'Pub'? Ah yes, A meeting place where humans attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks."
Firepuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 16:48
Oh yeah, currently on my turntable - Renaissance - Live at Carnegie Hall - Side 4 - Ashes Are Burning
Kryten : "'Pub'? Ah yes, A meeting place where humans attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks."
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 23:29

King Crimson-USA

A kick-ass album!

Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 00:46

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:29
Originally posted by Firepuck Firepuck wrote:

Really?! I have an original copy of Electronic Meditations on vinyl - I'll have to check and see if it is an Ohr pressing.

Currently have close to 1000 progressive rock LP's, many of them imports (European and Japanese)

Still play them too!

Lucky you, I've been collecting for 2 years and nearing 300 pieces of vinyl.    

Well, according to this book

the mint value of "Electronic Meditation" should be 140€, but I've personally never really seen it for sale, but I've done a quick research on my own:   

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=electr onic+meditation&thumbs=

(Only the second is a first pressing!)

There you see what it's been sold for on online auctions, a m- goes for around 72€, but it's just one case (which also tells about it's rarity), I'm sure under the right circomstances the record could be sold for much more if it's in perfect condition, a vg+, which is a very normal condition for a 30+ year old record taken normally good care of, cuts the value in half!   

The catalouge nr. of the first pressing must be: "Ohr OMM 56004" and not "Ohr OMM 556004" that's a second pressing! If "Pop-Import" is printed on cover, it's a reissue. And if it includes an Ohr promotion balloon, add 150€ to the value.

Well, hope I hope for you, that you have a first pressing, it's always nice to own rare first pressings.

Now playing:

Midnight Sun - Walking Circles (1972)

Great Danish jazz-influenced prog-rock!

Edited by ummagumma08
Flip_Stone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:42

A light layer of dust.  I don't seem to use the thing much these days.  I've transferred my hard-to-find records onto CD, and mostly use it to transfer any new discs I come across.

It's great looking at and handling the large album jackets.  Probably the best combination is listening to a favorite album on CD, while looking at the record jacket from the same album, for full effect.  You just can't get the same effect from CD versions of say, The Lamb, Living in the Past, Stand Up, etc.

Edited by Flip_Stone
Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 22:05

Darryl Way's Wolf-Night Music

"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 36>