Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Robby Steinhardt no longer in Kansas
    Posted: March 27 2006 at 22:28

From Steve Waslsh's website

Kansas has had some good years and some not so good years. Projects that should've sold lots, and some that shouldn't have. But one thing is for sure. We are deeper than the 3 albums we consistently draw from. We have gone through a big change here. And in my mind it has been one of the most difficult things we've ever had to do. We have parted ways with our original violinist/singer, Robby. I'd like to say it was pleasant, and friendly. But I was in such turmoil at the time, I didn't really know who was my friend, and who wasn't. I really don't want to publish the details. I just want everyone to know that this change-this metamorphosis will make us stronger and better because we will survive it. We care about our legacy and our music, our friends, and yes, it's the way we make a living, and we don't want that to go away either. So, please come and see us. We're gonna be f**king great.... Steve Walsh

http://www.steve-walsh.de/home1.htm

No official news on Kansasband.com but I'll bet David Ragsdale will be rejoining.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 22:39
Damn, and I was going to see Kansas on March 22nd at B.B. King's but the
show was cancelled due to "personal illness." Do you think this has anything
to do with Robbie leaving?
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 11:14

^ Everything.  I think the next show is April 22.  Still waiting for something offical to be released.

Dr Know View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 12:58

Maybe David Ragsdale or Vanessa MaeWink to really boost sales!

But Ragsdale plays a mean violin, just listen to Black Fathom 4Clap

moodyxadi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 17:20

Robby Steinhardt is more than a violin player - he's a great singer and a fantastic stage guy - in Kansas terms. It's a great loss - again.

I don't believe that kansas will produce anything really significative from now on. The Kansas comeback happened whn Robbie joined the group again. With his departure and no plns of Livgren in the group again, I believe that Kansas will be now in that famous "on tour forever", like BOC and other 70's groups.

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 18:50

This totally blows!

There's some chatter on the 'People of the South Wind' forum about Ragsdale possibly being considered to fill in for Robbie (I say 'fill in' because he can't be replaced), and also some comments from some guy who said he interviewed Phil Ehart at the Stardust concerts in Vegas last week where Phil said Dave Hope and Livgren might be joining the band for some projects in the near future.  Hard to say if that's true or just a bunch of crap.  Either way, I sure hope things work out for both Robbie and the band, and that there's more to their future than just another lame compilation album (like the 'Works in Progress' coming out next month).

BTW, I know I've bashed the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on these forums in the past, but I figure just in case this is the swan song for Kansas, this is one recognition they deserve the right to either accept or reject on their own terms, so here's a link to a petition to have them nominated for the Hall (just in case anyone is interested).  There's 1,973 signatures so far - 10,000 are needed for a nomination.

http://www.petitiononline.com/CarryOn/petition.html

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
pogoowner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 22:14

This is truly sad news.  Robby is irreplaceable.

And it might as well be raining, 'cause the sunlight hurts his eyes,
And his ears will never hear the children's cries
FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 00:53
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

This totally blows!

There's some chatter on the 'People of the South Wind' forum about
Ragsdale possibly being considered to fill in for Robbie (I say 'fill in'
because he can't be replaced), and also some comments from some guy
who said he interviewed Phil Ehart at the Stardust concerts in Vegas last
week where Phil said Dave Hope and Livgren might be joining the band
for some projects in the near future.  Hard to say if that's true or just a
bunch of crap.  Either way, I sure hope things work out for both Robbie
and the band, and that there's more to their future than just another lame
compilation album (like the 'Works in Progress' coming out next month).[/
P]

BTW, I know I've bashed the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on these
forums in the past, but I figure just in case this is the swan song for
Kansas, this is one recognition they deserve the right to either accept or
reject on their own terms, so here's a link to a petition to have them
nominated for the Hall (just in case anyone is interested).  There's 1,973
signatures so far - 10,000 are needed for a nomination.

[COLOR=#800080">http://www.petitiononline.com/CarryOn/petiti on.html
[/COLOR">

The petition link doesn't work or else I would've voted.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
White Feather View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 09:00
   I hope Kansas can find a replacement because the violin is so important I think

Edited by White Feather
ProgFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 13:26

SAD NEWS

I saw them last year @ Arrow Rock Festvial and they were superb, but now isn't it Kansas like I know them

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 13:53

Hearing form someone who talked to Robby I guess it was his decision to leave or retire as he calls it.  I am guessing it was on good terms. If Ragsdale comes back it would be the first time in a long time that there might be new music from the band. Ragsdale was disappointed in Freaks Of Nature not being progressive enough and when no new opportunity to write new music became available he left.  I am slightly curious to how this will all work out.  Rags can also play some guitar as well. As long as Steve Walsh does not go back to being a frontman it should not be a bad thing.

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 14:29

Kansasband.com has finally added some information about it and Ragsdale has rejoined.  Not much said about it though.  Also another compilation package  they are releasing called Works in Progress.  It contains songs from 1992-2002 Freaks of Nature, Live under the Influence of Whisky, Always Never the Same and Device Voice Drum. They have an accompanying DVD with it that will include 4-45 songs from DVD again and 3 songs from the Live at the Whisky video tape. .  They also did Dust in the Wind and Hold On from the ANTS symphony album in 5.1 surround sound mixed by Jeff Glixman. 

Surprising in a way is nothing from the 2001 reunion album Somewhere to Elsewhere is mentioned although Icarus II from that album was selected to be on the DVD.

Not one new song or unreleased track on it at all.  

If they are going to release concert footage they should fix up the Houston show they did in 1980.  It is the best Kansas footage out there but the one floating around on EBay is in terrible shape.

Www.kansband.com

Edited by Garion81

DolphinFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 15:02

Hey, I love Kansas, but more compilations/box sets/etc without any new or interesting material is getting ridiculous.  Talk about over-active marketing.  The awesome packaging art (like the Moses-guy or the Point of Know Return ship) always tempts me to pick up those "compilations" at the store, but everytime I flip it over I see the same songs over and over and over and over....

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 00:29

Sounds to me like Walsh is out to try and recreate the Streets sound all over again.  Either that or the band wants one last swan song tour to support YACC (Yet Another Compilation Collection) and then call it quits.  I think Ehart is either still holding out hope Livgren will hand them another collection of tunes, or he's turned totally into a Steve Walsh fanboy.

Either way - we'll miss you Robbie!

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 01:25

^ I don't think so Clem.  You have to remember these guys make a pretty good living playing their 50 -70 dates a year.   That European tour last year must have paid handsomely.  The band charges between $20,000 and $35,000 a a show in the states depending on how long they have to play.  Yes they still can command that. Walsh, Erhart and Williams own the touring band. Along with some royalties, although Livgren gets the lions share of those, and some merchandise they all make over six figures easily including Billy Greer And Robby now David Ragsdale (all hired Hands). 

I really can't see them wanting to putting a fork in this.  They all have families to support. I actually think they may have some new music without Livgren's involvement because Rags can write.  I'll bet he has a few concessions coming his way to return. He left because there was not going to be anything more new after Freaks.

David Ragsdale has appeared on some pretty good prog albums Like Be from Salem Hill, Cryptic Vison  initial CD and LA Underscore. He knows this music and it is what he wants Kansas to do.  They (the rest of the band) pushed it to a more pop rock album (Freaks of Nature)

Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 22:51

Robby is an Icon for progressive rock , he is the face of Kansas and always will be . When we think of Kansas we think of Robbie and his wild hair and gentle eyes as he plays us a violin passage with a gentle noble look on his face.  Never vain hes never egotistical ,  hes going to be missed . Theres an echolyn song called Never The Same , The lyrics go "remember whats been given not taken away" and that pretty much sums this situation up for me.  I will miss you greatly Robby but I`ll never forget you .. thanks for what you have given me my life has been fuller thanks to you 

Now lets get on with it Kansas lets take it someplace special  (stop the compilations) write some songs

Edited by Masque
Dalefan3 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 10:10
NO!!!!!! Kansas is my all time favorite band and I've seen them many times and even got into radio to have a chance to meet them. I met them and Steve and Phil blew me off but Ragsdale was very nice and did an interview and passed my album around and everyone signed it.

They were still good with Ragsdale but I love Robbie and was blown away when I saw him with them in Pensacola.

Now they are coming to Destin Fla on Oct. 7th and I will be FRONT ROW.  I'll miss not seeing Robbie there though. Dave Hope lives near here, I hope he'll be playing with them next week as well.

By the way, here is a video I made using one of my favorite songs Cheyenne Anthem...enjoy.

Edited by Dalefan3 - September 26 2006 at 10:12
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 12:25
Excellent Dalefan3, the pictures fit the lyrics perfectly
Very moving....

[=D>][=D>][=D>]
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 22:32
Originally posted by pogoowner pogoowner wrote:

This is truly sad news.  Robby is irreplaceable.

Here is a golden consolation - a track performed at the last gig with Steinhardt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayng5THyH3U 
'Opus Insert' with the inserted interlude of 'A Glimpse of Home': two unusual tracks into one!

Kind regards.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 22:44
Speaking as someone who got to know them first a long time ago, maybe a little change is good, wait and see.  Livgren was one the essential members for me, Steinhardt, too.  Let's face it, at this point they aren't getting any younger, it's inevitable that many of the classic artists will never be quite what they were but the music they made when they were will be with us for a while longer...

By the way, big plug for the remaster of Two For The Show from me, for what it's worth. Thumbs%20Up

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 07 2008 at 22:56
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply