FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBloodrock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bloodrock
    Posted: March 29 2006 at 16:45
Anybody remember this little known hard rock band from Ft Worth, Texas in the early 70's? Despite being from Texas they were not Southern Rock. In fact they were more in line with Black Sabbath and Deep Purple without copy-catting them. And really good to. They lasted about 5 albums and then disappeared.

The closest thing they had to a hit was a morbidly depressing song called DOA. Filled with a creepy organ and sounds of ambulance sirens, the lyrics are a first person account of a plane crash victim lying in a street with blood all over him and his arm missing. Really uplifting stuff. I heard this for the first time on the radio when I was 13 and it scared the crap out of me. So naturally I went and bought the record and played it over and over again 'til finally my mom told me "Stop playing that sick song damn it!"

Anyway, not all their stuff was like that, they had some really good jamming songs with a little prog here and there.

Edited by marktheshark
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 16:55
In fact, their last album was very prog with one of the coolest covers in that time frame.  I think I might still have it on LP.  There was a video for DOA that was very creepy, too.  Had a car running into what seemed to be an invisible barrier on a road.  "We were flying along and hit something in the air..."  Definitely a dark song.  I think some of their albums are available on Amazon.  They showed the world that not all bands from Texas were either C&W or blues.  While not consistently good, they definitely made their mark.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 11:00
By the way, I found this website www.bloodrock.net that might give you some info.  They seem to be having some problems with the website currently but maybe they'll have it functioning again soon. 
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 11:33
Yeah, I already checked it out. Thanks anyway. Seems that their first 2 albums are available as imports at CD Universe. Can't find the 3rd one though.

Edited by marktheshark
A'swepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 11:10

I've liked Bloodrock since hearing DOA in the radio way back then. I had 4 of their albums & eventually got those first four releases on CD.

All contain excellent songs along with some so-so stuff. They were all pretty good musicians.

The best song on Bloodrock are Gotta Find A Way & Doublecross.

The best songs on Bloodrock 2 are Lucky in the Morning & Sable and Pearl.

They started to blossom on the 3rd album (Bloodrock 3 - very original) with such songs as Breach Of Lease and A Certain Kind. Don't overlook the excellent America, America -

Walking in an empty cement parking lot

It's snowing and my face has taken on a winter storm.

I remember how good friends we used to be

Not knowing we were younger and protected from the storm.

America, America, you are so far away,

Your fossils are the children of today.

And though there's joy in emptiness,

I cannot say your absence beats the joy of living.

I'm sure the years and memory have jacked up some of the lyrics - its an excellent song nonetheless.  

My favorite is Bloodrock USA, their 4th release. It contains a lot of pretty good rock & there are some prog elements present. The entire album was very good  but side 2 was awesome - American Burn, Rock and Roll Candy Man, Abracadaver & Magic Man. The CD has an additional song - but after all these years, it doesn't seem to fit IMO.

I believe they were managed by Terry Knight, the same dude who brought us Grand Funk Railroad.

Count me as a fan.

David - Never doubt in the dark that which you believe to be true in the light.
http://www.myspace.com/aardvarktxusa - Instrumental rock
http://www.soundclick.com/aardvarktxusa
 Post Reply Post Reply