Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedi have a doubt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: i have a doubt
    Posted: March 30 2006 at 08:44
well... is this music better than simple rock, pop pop/rock etc? why? have better structures? better sound? better virtuosim?
i think (we) are superiors to listen prog, because despise bands like Radiohead,travis... why?
Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 08:47

Nice try

But that's not coherent

Sorry

I'm so prog, I clap in 9/8
A'swepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 08:50

I don't think its better per se, although many will argue that point. Music is subjective. A lot of people like Britney Spears - Don't see the attraction (no pun intended).

Prog, for me, creates a connection between listener and performer, requiring an investment on the part of the listener. It is cerebral, allowing the more discerning listener to better appreciate the creative process and the end result.

David - Never doubt in the dark that which you believe to be true in the light.
http://www.myspace.com/aardvarktxusa - Instrumental rock
http://www.soundclick.com/aardvarktxusa
Vi0LaToR View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 08:51
ok...(sorry for my english)..
another try

why is prog better than other music? why a lot of progfans despise bands like radiohead(radiohead make good music)?
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 10:49
I don't think prog is the superior music. I just like it.
Firepuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 12:13

Originally posted by Vi0LaToR Vi0LaToR wrote:

another try

why is prog better than other music? why a lot of progfans despise bands like radiohead(radiohead make good music)?

It's not. Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge prog fan.

There are members here that are fans of a variety of musical genres (classical and jazz seem to have many fans on this site, which makes sense to me as this web site defines prog loosely as: largely a European movement, and drew most of its influences from classical music and jazz fusion, in contrast to American rock, which was influenced by rhythm & blues and country).

If I'm 'listening' to music I tend to like more cerebrial music. Generally I listen to:

When doing housework - rock 'n roll

When dancing - pop, rock 'n roll, rhythm & blues, swing

When dining - jazz, lounge

When playing the harmonica - blues

Driving (I drive alot) - prog

In the morning - classical

By myself - prog

When with friends - depends on their listening preferences

When with the wife - depends what we're doing

I don't listen to all types of music, not a big country fan (although I like bluegrass), not into opera (love classical though), don't like rap or techno (way to repetitive - and annoying), reggae (occasionally), etc.

I would never 'dis' someone's musical tastes unless they are forcing it on me (can you say cars booming out too much bass?), life is too short.

Kryten : "'Pub'? Ah yes, A meeting place where humans attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks."
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 12:36

I'm not sure that most prog fans 'despise' Radiohead..

But anyway, music - as pointed out - is subjective. If the music of Britney & co gives you pleasure, then it has succeeded in its aim: Entertainment. Prog rock is just another form of entertainment for those who dont respond emotionally to straight pop or rock music. Although, there is of course no rule that says you cant like more than one type of music.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Fritha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 14:49

Anything goes -as long as it is good.  (Thus, Radiohead is definitely worth a go!) 

In other words, it depends on the artists and bands, rather than on the genre of music itself, whether I will give it a try... I should think the majority of us here thinks in a similar vein.

Even the more pop side of music can contain amazing musical structures, despite the songs being shorter and the playing 'sparser' when compared to out and out progressive rock. "Lucky" on OK Computer is a fine example of that. Not to mention a huge handful of Beatles songs...! And what about many of those classic Abba songs?   

Heh, as I said, anything goes... 

I was made to love magic
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 14:49
Hey, I love prog and Radiohead kicks serious butts!!!...
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
karimeen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 15:00

Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Hey, I love prog and Radiohead kicks serious butts!!!...

YA RADIOHEAD KICK MY ASS BADLY,

I HATE RADIOHEAD,

PESSIMISTIC b*****dS,  ...

I LISTENED TO IT LOT BUT I WAS RUINIG MYSELF, MY FRIEND HELPED ME OUT, HE GAVE ME SOLID 'RUSH' DOSE

NOW I'M OKAY

Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 21:16

Yay. Maybe in the future you can not type in all caps because it's really annoying and gives the impression that you are SHOUTING SO THAT YOU WILL BE HEARD MORE CLEARLY AND BEAT YOUR LISTENER DOWN BY SHEER VOLUME, ESCHEWING ANY SORT OF LOGIC OR REASON!

Radiohead are downright cheerful compared to some prog bands. Maybe you shouldn't listen to any depressing music though, if Radiohead can make you "ruin yourself." I find some of the lyrics laughable instead of depressing. ("Little babies' eyes, eyes, Little babies' eyes... That sure is deep.)

Edited by Ghandi 2
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 21:32
Everything else suxxx!
White Feather View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 21:35
From a musicians perspective in theory some prog is challenging to play , now I`m not saying its superior or anything because some jazz & classical is hard to play , but the very nature of prog seems to like to challenge the listener which also challenges the performer so on a certain level it is in fact probably a little more complex on average the most forms of music , but superior only to those who like it (its subjective)  In response to Radiohead and I`m alone with my opinion about them , I don`t feel that they are progressive musicaly but thats just my understanding of things  

Edited by White Feather
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 21:43

Prog is superior for us, POP is superior for POP fans, Jazz is superior for Jazz fans, etc.

There's a novel by Ciro Alegroia (Peruvian) Called "El Mundo es Ancho y Ajeno" (The World is Wide and doesn't Belong to Us) [There's no English word for Ajeno, but the idea is that we are not owbners from the world as individuals]

I would use the same idea for the music, the taste is wide and belongs tp everybody.

We are right, POP fans are right, Jazz fans are right, but at the same toime we're all wrong.

No musical gere is superuior per se.

Iván

The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 21:50
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Prog is superior for us, POP is superior for POP fans, Jazz is superior for Jazz fans, etc.

There's a novel by Ciro Alegroia (Peruvian) Called "El Mundo es Ancho y Ajeno" (The World is Wide and doesn't Belong to Us) [There's no English word for Ajeno, but the idea is that we are not owbners from the world as individuals]

I would use the same idea for the music, the taste is wide and belongs tp everybody.

We are right, POP fans are right, Jazz fans are right, but at the same toime we're all wrong.

No musical gere is superuior per se.

Iván

So true. It's all about how a certain genre appeals to one personally, but it also shows certain... intelligence level. I'm not saying everyone who dislikes prog is dumb, but it's obscure for a reason - I've yet to meet an ignorant redneck prog fan. Being a prog fan usually shows that you take music more seriously, prog requires concentration and some patience - something you don't need to listen to pop/rap/punk.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 22:01
Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

well said... nothing really to add to that.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 22:15
Originally posted by Firepuck Firepuck wrote:

Originally posted by Vi0LaToR Vi0LaToR wrote:

another try

It's not. Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge prog fan.

There are members here that are fans of a variety of musical genres (classical and jazz seem to have many fans on this site, which makes sense to me as this web site defines prog loosely as: largely a European movement, and drew most of its influences from classical music and jazz fusion, in contrast to American rock, which was influenced by rhythm & blues and country).

If I'm 'listening' to music I tend to like more cerebrial music. Generally I listen to:

When doing housework - rock 'n roll

When dancing - pop, rock 'n roll, rhythm & blues, swing

When dining - jazz, lounge

When playing the harmonica - blues

Driving (I drive alot) - prog

In the morning - classical

By myself - prog

When with friends - depends on their listening preferences

When with the wife - depends what we're doing

I don't listen to all types of music, not a big country fan (although I like bluegrass), not into opera (love classical though), don't like rap or techno (way to repetitive - and annoying), reggae (occasionally), etc.

I would never 'dis' someone's musical tastes unless they are forcing it on me (can you say cars booming out too much bass?), life is too short.

ahhhh good idea....

Yardwork -  Prog (Yes)  (my neighbors love it and don't throw daggars at me for the loud music)

Dancing - Pop (Madonna) ( my ass just can't keep from wiggling and jiggling)

Housework - Prog (Magma) (my wife hates it... thus stays out of my way... out of the room.. and when she can... out of the house hahahha)

Dining - Classical of course (Rachmaninoff) - (my tastes in music are redeemed in Becks' eyes every time I put him on)

Drinking - errrr.. when I use to drink that is Blues (The Allman Brothers Band)   (no cutsie comment needed... listen to Live at the Fillmore)

By myself - Prog in all it's various and glorious subgenres...err... minus one notable one of course hahhahhah

Jamming with the wife and my son - Jazz  (my oldest son is becoming a 3rd generation Brubeck fanatic)

With Friends - what friends..  see by myself hahahhaha

In the Car - Prog (Magma)  I use my hour and a half commute everyday to continue to 'digest' Magma.  Plus I really don't listen it them much at home to keep the mrs. happy so drive time....is MAGMA time hahahha.

At work - prog (Italian prog)  (my coworkers LOVE it!)

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Prog-man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 22:51

Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

ClapClapClap 

Arriving somewhere but not here
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 00:38

Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

Being a prog fan usually shows that you take music more seriously, prog requires concentration and some patience - something you don't need to listen to pop/rap/punk. 

That is also truth, if you want to listen Prog' you need to learn at least the basics of music to understand it and to appreciate which influences are stronger.

Probably Prog' is more challenging than mainstream genres like POP, but this doesn't mean it's better, even when it's the best for me, but this is subjective.

Iván

mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 00:52

i think radiohead are a brilliant group, i like most britpop bands.  i like many styles of music, even k t tunstall!!  prog lovers are supposed to be open minded thinkers, not snobs!

Edited by mystic fred
Prog Archives Tour Van
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>