FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLED ZEPPELIN PROG OR NOT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED ZEPPELIN PROG OR NOT
    Posted: November 10 2004 at 16:08
Im just wondering is Led Zep is prog reason Im asking is because I seen Led Zeppelin 4 - ZOSO reviewed on a rival Prog wesite www.progressiverock.com/ try it if you dont believe me.
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 16:14
Sometimes it can be a big help if you use punctuation it certainly helps to understand what you are descrining or asking it is also common courtesy as unpunctuated prose is so difficult to read and understand especially if you are asking for help or opinions and you want somebody to respond to you in a reasonable manner with helpful advice and hints and opinion

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 16:17

ErmmNo -- not in my book, though a terrific band.

Try "Immigrant Song" or "Rock and Roll" bookended by Yes and Genesis -- somewhat out of place, no?Stern Smile

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 16:17
Some of Zep is progressive...most ain't!!
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 16:20
The wheels on the bus go round and round....
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 16:28

Yeah! Nice discussion!!

Of course Led Zep aren't prog - but you can hear so many proggy elements in their stuff that it's worth having a good think about - and dusting off the old albums and having a good old-fashioned rock-out BEFORE replying to this thread...

Think I'll do that now - thanks for the excuse!!!

frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 17:10
yes/no

i wud say... they are almost prog.
The Worthless Recluse
the musical box View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 18:30
Led Zeppelin are amazing, possibly my fave. band, but i cant say that they are prog. Although they have prog songs such as "Achilles last stand" and "no quarter" (which are some of their best), they are so diverse that i find it hard to classify them in a certain genre. Athough they are most often refered to as "CLassic Rock", i believe the term  conjures up memories of bands like The Rolling Stones and ACDC, which the ZEP certainly arent to be associated with. They are a very diverse band with elements of blues, folk, eastern music, prog , and many other styles which i cannot think of right now. I personnaly dont think of them as prog, but at the same time, how does one consider Jethro Tull a prog band and not ZEP? Still, in my opinion, their most progressive albums are  "Houses of the holy", "Presence" and "In through the out door". BUT PROG?.....hard to say!
something pretentious
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 19:02
Although I enjoy Led Zepplin I dont think they are prog rock at all. A couple of songs do not merit calling a band prog at all. By that reasoning Gentle Giant would be a pop band because of "Giant For a Day". They are a rock and roll for the sake of rock and roll type of band(a very good one). Also the distinction between jethro tull and zepplin would simply be to look at the content of the albums, no one can deny the fact that "Thick as a Brick", "A Passion Play", or even "Aqualung" are all prog albums. I cant say ive listened to every Tull album (i can say that about Zep though) but it is at least reasonable to say they were a prog band in the early seventies.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 19:05

Originally posted by Hangedman Hangedman wrote:

Although I enjoy Led Zepplin I dont think they are prog rock at all. A couple of songs do not merit calling a band prog at all. By that reasoning Gentle Giant would be a pop band because of "Giant For a Day". They are a rock and roll for the sake of rock and roll type of band(a very good one). Also the distinction between jethro tull and zepplin would simply be to look at the content of the albums, no one can deny the fact that "Thick as a Brick", "A Passion Play", or even "Aqualung" are all prog albums. I cant say ive listened to every Tull album (i can say that about Zep though) but it is at least reasonable to say they were a prog band in the early seventies.

Ok, they prolly arent prog...but a rock band for rocks sake?!? Dude, they deserve more credit than that, they are one of the most diverse bands ive ever heard.

something pretentious
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 19:09
Originally posted by the musical box the musical box wrote:

Ok, they prolly arent prog...but a rock band for rocks sake?!? Dude, they deserve more credit than that, they are one of the most diverse bands ive ever heard.

haha, sorry they are very good and diverse. I said that because zepplin (or even back when they went by the yardbirds) play music only because thats what they love to do, not (usually anyway) to express themselves.

Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 19:16
Zepplin are not prog this is silly they are a great rock band and that is it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 19:16

Originally posted by the musical box the musical box wrote:

haha, sorry they are very good and diverse. I said that because zepplin (or even back when they went by the yardbirds) play music only because thats what they love to do, not (usually anyway) to express themselves.

ok, haha, it was a bit unclear. And by the way, they were called the "New Yardbirds" at first. The reason for this was because when the Yardbirds broke up, Jimmy Page was left with the rights for the band and had to form a new band to finish the remaining scheduled gigs for the original band. So the legacy of the best band in rock history begins!

something pretentious
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 21:32
"In through the out door" has some progressive leanings, definitely. JPJ was really getting into the synth textures. It would have been interesting to see that trend explored further.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 21:49

Originally posted by James Lee James Lee wrote:

"In through the out door" has some progressive leanings, definitely. JPJ was really getting into the synth textures. It would have been interesting to see that trend explored further.

yeah..........DAMN JOHN BONHAM AND HIS DYING!!

something pretentious
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 22:06

Danbo and All:

I hear you!

Okay, let's try this again.  My understanding of the way in which the webmasters determine whether a band is "prog" (and thus worthy of inclusion on this site) is whether the majority of a band's output was composed, played and produced using a consciously "prog" approach.  Clearly, Zeppelin, as great as they are - and although they have a few tracks that are proto-prog or near-prog (Kashmir, Achilles Last Stand, et al) - does not fit this category, since the overwhelming majority of their music uses various approaches (yes, including, occasionally, prog) to blues/rock.

This is why Gentle Giant is prog despite "Giant for a Day": because the vast majority of their output is prog.  It is why Genesis is "prog" despite the fact that they tilted toward a more commercial sound after (imho) Duke (though Invisible Touch still had some proggish stuff); because the vast majority of their output was "prog."  It is why The Church is "prog" despite the fact that (with one exception) their first six or seven albums were not prog; because they virtually re-invented themselves, took a consciously prog approach to their music, and have since put out more "prog" work than they had non-prog work.

As an aside, I personally believe that, despite their place here, Supertramp is not "prog" (as defined on this site) by this standard.  Yes, COTC and most of EITQM are (somewhat arguably, but nonetheless acceptably) prog.  However, this is only two albums out of over a dozen, and thus does not equal the majority of their output, which was pop (prior to COTC) and (my term) "progressive pop" since BIA.

That's my two cents.  Take it or leave it...

Peace.

Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 22:18
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Danbo and All:

I hear you!

Okay, let's try this again.  My understanding of the way in which the webmasters determine whether a band is "prog" (and thus worthy of inclusion on this site) is whether the majority of a band's output was composed, played and produced using a consciously "prog" approach.  Clearly, Zeppelin, as great as they are - and although they have a few tracks that are proto-prog or near-prog (Kashmir, Achilles Last Stand, et al) - does not fit this category, since the overwhelming majority of their music uses various approaches (yes, including, occasionally, prog) to blues/rock.

This is why Gentle Giant is prog despite "Giant for a Day": because the vast majority of their output is prog.  It is why Genesis is "prog" despite the fact that they tilted toward a more commercial sound after (imho) Duke (though Invisible Touch still had some proggish stuff); because the vast majority of their output was "prog."  It is why The Church is "prog" despite the fact that (with one exception) their first six or seven albums were not prog; because they virtually re-invented themselves, took a consciously prog approach to their music, and have since put out more "prog" work than they had non-prog work.

As an aside, I personally believe that, despite their place here, Supertramp is not "prog" (as defined on this site) by this standard.  Yes, COTC and most of EITQM are (somewhat arguably, but nonetheless acceptably) prog.  However, this is only two albums out of over a dozen, and thus does not equal the majority of their output, which was pop (prior to COTC) and (my term) "progressive pop" since BIA.

That's my two cents.  Take it or leave it...

Peace.

If this doesnt put discussion to rest I don't know what will.

gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 22:26

Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

The wipers on the bus go swish,swish,swish...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 22:45
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Danbo and All:

I hear you!

Danbo?

Whazzup maani?

I totally concur with your prog / not prog ideology. My "wheels" comment meant, "here we go again." Personally, If I feel some band is prog, I post it in the "suggestions for the archive" section. I will either make a case, forward some "samples" to the powers that be, or throw it to the wind and see if anyone wants to jump on board and offer support. Zep ain't prog, Queen (one of my fav bands) ain't prog and Allan Holdsworth (My hero) ain't prog. BTW, I didn't push for AH, he miraculously appeared... I guess that makes him the Immaculate Inception. Haha.

If I overstepped a boundary, lemme know. PM style, if you please.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 22:47
Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

The wipers on the bus go swish,swish,swish...

Good thing I don't have wipers on my bus. hehe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>