Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLED ZEPPELIN PROG OR NOT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2004 at 15:05

I seem to remember reading in some Zep biography or other, or maybe even from the mouth of Pagey himself, that 'The Song Remains the Same' was his nod to Yes and their ilk and that he had deliberately set out to write something with a prog-rock feel - eg the stacked guitars etc. Indeed they even went so far as to pitch-shift Plant's voice for the song (a nod to jon Anderson?)

IMHO, Page was always a magpie with best pilfering taste and it is no surprise to me that Zepp records contain some 'proggy' stuff (Kashmir, Song Remains, Achilles, Carousleambra, No Quarter, even Battle for Evermore - though that was probably more Bert Jansch/Fairports influenced in concept but maybe prog in execution etc)

In that pilfering I think Page was like every other musician, a product of the environment in which he existed, prog was very of that moment, as was glam, heavy blues, country, folk and funk (all of which crop up in Zepp's canon somewhere) so it's not surprising that he may have filtered some Yes/ELP/Genesis etc into his work.

And besides didn't the Great God Page, in 1980, on Zep's final tour, cite Rush as one of the bands he was then enjoying - but maybe that was just a tongue in cheek jibe at his one-time most fervent sound-alikes

whatever, they rock like no other band ever rocked (just check out DVD) and I would have no qualms about including kashmir or no quarter (particularly the live version) on a compilation beside Siberian Khatru or Cinema Show.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2004 at 17:35

ErmmYeah, Arce (how would you pronounce that?Wink), some of Zep's songs are proggish, with, as you said, Kashmir being an obvious example.

Not a "prog" act overall, though.

Many artists (eg. Bowie) are in the same boat -- many styles in their careers, including some flirtation with prog, but not, on the balance, Progressive Rock acts.Stern Smile

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2004 at 17:51

not making a case for them (other than that they're very very very good) just pointing out where the notion of them being prog might have come from

you have no idea how soon after keying in that forum name I winced in contemplation of all the brickbats that would wing my way. DOH!

it's as in arc, a curve... I swear!!!

greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2004 at 18:11
Kate Bush is much much more prog before Zep is!
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2004 at 20:46
The blue whale is the biggest animal ever.Stern Smile
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2004 at 07:34
Here we go AGAIN with this redundant whaht is/ what isn't prog discussion. one thing we can be certain of though is that Mariah is definitely the prog Princess.
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2004 at 07:35

Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

The blue whale is the biggest animal ever.Stern Smile

Whoops, I though this discussion dealt mainly with dinosaurs

StarvingArtyst View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2004 at 23:26

While they have prog elements, I don't think that Zeppelin is prog. Songs like Kashmir and Stairway to Heaven are progressive in the sense that they take things to a "grander" scale and have symphonic (classical music) elements to them. Also, transcribing much of their music to full orchestra is fitting (I recommend checking out the arrangements by Jaz Coleman recorded by the London Philharmonic Orch.).

However, the do delve into a multitude of styles (notably blues, country, and you could even make the case that "All MY Love" is something of a calypso song).

For me, not prog. But, still the best band ever. 

HaroldTheBarrel View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2004 at 08:32
Zep's first couple of albums were definately not prog, just rock'n'roll. But who can deny the progitude of their later material?
Listen:
Your friends have been broken. They've told us of your poison.
Now     we    k now.
KILL THEM!
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2004 at 09:04

Originally posted by HaroldTheBarrel HaroldTheBarrel wrote:

Zep's first couple of albums were definately not prog, just rock'n'roll. But who can deny the progitude of their later material?

Have you not read any of the previous posts man!?

Led_head04* View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 00:17
I love Led Zeppelin their one of my favorites.  I think they could be classified as Progressive Rock, but I consider them more of Classic Rock.      
All you need is love!!!!
       - John Lennon & Paul McCartney

Don Quito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 00:56

I think I got the point. According to this website's review, they seen Led Zeppelin's IV as driven away from the blues hard rock that resembles such albums as Lep Zeppelin I and Led Zeppelin II.

I think that Zeppelin's sound has changed from album to album, specially from their third album, but still, they rock hard. And they are an amazing band and such a great inspiration for others, such as Rush (one of my favorite bands)

In my opinion, I don't view Led Zeppelin as a progressive band as Jethro Tull, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Eloy, Camel, Pink Floyd, or even King Crimson. Zeppelin's style is unique, but it's sound approaches more to the hard rock. Although, if we compare them to Deep Purple, or consider as similar artists with Deep Purple, who, according to the archives, are reviewed as progressive rock, then I think they could be a prototype of progressive rock just like Purple. That's why most people would think YES/NO at the same time.

Maybe, the reason for having just one album reviewed as progressive, doesn't make much of a difference or a big impact. Therefore, I don't agree they should be considered a prog band. They could have experimented after 1971 and their sound began to take a shape away from the blues rock they were into at the beginning, but their style is still considered as Heavy Metal or Hard Rock.

KEEP THE PROMISE YOU MADE
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 02:51
I'd say they were maybe worthy of insertion into the Prog Related category myself.  I know they are not a prog band, but they influenced prog bands, were influenced by prog bands and even made some progressive recordings.

A lot of Colosseum's output was blues orientated.  Valentyne Suite is prog and so are other Colosseum tracks, but a lot aren't.

The same for Early Queen.

I would argue for Fleetwood Mac and Keef Hartley Band to be inserted, by I won't...
ZowieZiggy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 03:32
LedZep is one of my fav band. I reconstruct the whole of their music in 99 and for six months, I was almost exclusively listening to them.
But god, they are definitely not prog.
They are some times accoustic (B-side of LedZep III), bluesy (LedZep I), heavy (LedZep II), incredibelly inventive during live performances (I've seen them twice). They produced, in my opinion, one of the best rock album ever (LedZep4) but is this a reason to catalog this band as prog ? It is not because you're great, than you're prog, is it ? If you listen to LedZep 4, of course ther "The Battle of Evermore", Staiway to Heaven" but what about "Black Dog", Rock'n Roll", Four Sticks" and "When the Levee Breaks" ? Definitely not prog.
Same comments apply to Deep Purple (another of my fav since 70, when I was 11), Supertramp, Queen and probably some other oneswhich don't belong to this site, although great bands .

... and she's buying a stairway to heaven.
ZowieZiggy
magog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 03:41
I usually have restrictive opinions about prog family enlargement, but in this case it's easier than usual: LZ have beautiful contaminations and sometimes realized prog-like sound numbers, but they definitely are a ROCK band: the risk I see is to consider only "sound" characters of a band, and involve in progressive most of the groups of early seventies.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 03:45
They are a rock band, I agree, but I do believe they more progression than some bands on here.
magog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 04:26
Originally posted by Geck0 but I do believe they more progression than some bands on here.
[/QUOTE Geck0 but I do believe they more progression than some bands on here. [/QUOTE wrote:

That's for sure!

That's for sure!
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 04:49
Not.
Badabec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2005 at 15:04
Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

Some of Zep is progressive...most ain't!!

I agree.
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2005 at 15:06
Led Zep are NOT prog !!!!!!!!!

They are one of my all-time favs but they are NOT prog
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>