Topic ClosedVinyl

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinyl
    Posted: February 02 2004 at 10:40
As most of the people on this forum would, I imagine, be of a 'certain age', it would be interesting to find out how many people still listen to music using that quaint old medium, vinyl.

Personally, I have to admit that although when I upgraded my Hi-Fi a couple of years back I included a serious turntable, I cannot remember the last time I used it .

Nowadays, I seem to spend a lot of time (not to mention money) replacing my classic vinyl with CDs - I'll bet I'm not alone in this, too.....
EVO View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2004 at 12:06

nope you're not allone...

BUT!

there are still a number of records that are not released on CD, and with some titles I doubt they will ever be released on CD. Unless I make copy's by myself

so I keep my record collection. (also for the collectors items)

I even regularly play an old record. For nostalgic reasons? no...

now on my turntable is a collection of prog. songs called: Exposure (the first album). Not on CD  always fun to listen to.

Live Long and Prosper...
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2004 at 03:29
Nice to hear it Evo - actually, last night I dug out some old vinyl & sat with a beer revelling in 'that' old sound ('Nursery Cryme'if you're interested).

Keep the faith

Jim
dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2004 at 06:39

Jim: i have just rummaged through my "extensive" vinyl collection which i havnt listened to in many many many......many years!! and found i had a grand total of....are you ready for this.....6 countem 6 albums!!! they are Godbluff by Van DEr Graff Generator,Salisbury-Uriah heep Moving Waves-Focus, Hideaway-LeatherWolf(what was i thinking?!!!!) Frampton comes Alive (Makes sense!, he wouldnt come if he were dead now would he!!!!) and finally Rainbow Rising-Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow. Thanks for reminding me i actually had a vinyl collection. stay safe

Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2004 at 22:58
In 1987?, I figured CD's were not just a fad (8 track) and traded in my vinyl collection, over 700. I started buying CD's like mad. My first 3 were Rush "Hold your Fire" Pink Floyd "Momentary Lapse" and Allan Holdsworth "Sand." I'm up to 750 +. I still have Allan Holdsworth "Road Games" on vinyl.
Alexander View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2004 at 23:10

The LP player is in my room!

I own a few vinyls myself.

On A Dilemmia Between What I Need & What I Just Want

JonTaylor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2004 at 10:15

I still believe that vinyl was/is the best way to listen to music, but my record player stopped working a couple of years back and I haven't replaced it yet!. Hopefully I will sometime soon, as all of my Utopia albums are on vinyl and I haven't listened to them for sometime.

Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2004 at 03:26
Originally posted by JonTaylor JonTaylor wrote:

I still believe that vinyl was/is the best way to listen to music

Agreed - but only if you are going to listen once, immediately make a tape for daily use and never, ever, ever loan it out to anyone ever for any reason.

Lookout View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2004 at 16:02
My vinyl collection reached 565 albums or so. I still have my turntable, and always will. It's an Oracle. Unfortunately, for lack of space and because of our collection of cats, I keep the records and stereo packed away. It's been over 8 years since I've listened to any of my vinyl, and it'll be a while before I rip any albums to CDR. Whenever I do that, it'll be the last time I play a record. I have half as many CD's as records, and overall it's a pretty cool collection. Some stuff is exceptionally rare and no longer available.
Luck is when what is unexpected happens;
fortune is when what is hoped for happens.
Gonghobbit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2004 at 16:19
Yep, lots of stuff on vinyl, I've replaced some choice things of course, some not, but I'm sometimes amazed at the seemingly obscure stuff, relative to the bigger music industry anyway, that's available on cd. The only thing I have that I know I won't find on cd is Dimthings, a dude who released maybe a half dozen albums in the early eighties, some very experimental, interesting stuff....got those through Wayside Records back then, including the 500 copy release 'Heart of the Klux Flux'.
'This is a local shop, there's nothing for you here'
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2004 at 21:47

Well, guys, it may sound strange, but I´m 19 and my collection of prog albums is almost all in vynil (I have no idea  how many I have).

There are two reasons: first - The sound of vinyl is slightly better than CD (and sometimes much better). Second - Vynil is cheaper and a lot of titles I could only find in vynil.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2004 at 03:05

I had over 600 LPs when CDs hit, & soon put away the turntable. I'd like to have both now, but as a perfectionist, the "snap, crackle and pop" of the records (many sold, the rest far away in storage) would probably irritate me now. Still, I miss the size and impact of the old cover art (the artwork on Nursery Cryme, for example, with the "crackled" paint and "dead fly," is much more effective in the LP's larger format) and the clever packaging that often accompanied albums. Remember the Floyd posters and postcards, the Alice Cooper panties, the Sticky Fingers zipper, the Thick as a Brick "St. Cleve Chronicle" and the big booklet that came with The Who's "Quadrophrenia?" Cool 

Sometimes I buy used classic albums (for example, Abbey Road) just for the cover art and historical value. If you don't really care about the condition of the tracks, these old "elpees" can be found for just $1-$3 apiece, and make great wall art for your rec room/listening room. I display one cover at a time on an old music stand. (Klaatu's first is currently on view....) Smile

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Lookout View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2004 at 13:45

And all the unique Soviet:France jackets - the folded rice paper Oestre jacket, the masonite bound by red yarn album, the aluminium sheet or heavy foil album, etc..., but my fave is still the P231 (a Montreal noise band, if I recall) that had a thin stamped copper sheet with the number of the pressing and the band's name tamped to a tar paper jacket .

And Peter, this is one of those silly tourist questions, but do you know a Rideout that is/was a theatre director who did a stint at the Centennial Theatre in Lennoxville in the late 80's? I have to ask...

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2004 at 23:06

Smile Wow, Lookout, those sound like unique covers! Copper? Tar paper? Cool.

Of course, as I said, clever inclusions & materials aside, the very size of albums contributed to the listener's becoming more "immersed" in the artwork, and thereby "getting into" the music even more! Remember the artwork for Yes - Fragile, for example. You lose the  interior pictures with the CD, and Roger Dean's unique fantastical paintings are best seen big.

(No, nice of you to ask, but I have no connection to Lennoxville, as far as I know. My surname is common in Newfoundland, and the south of England.... Maybe I'm descended from King Arthur!) Wink LOL 

Doesn't Lennoxville (is that Tennessee?) have something to do with one of the bourbons? Wacko

Long May Your Big Jib Draw

(Smooth Sailing),

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 06:59
actually in theory vinyl IS the best way to listen to music, cds sample music in steps taking a portion of the sine wave anylising it and then reproducing it for the human ear each time but a turntable continually reproduces the sine wave for a smoother sound, the problem with turntables are such things as wow and flutter or drag which stops the acurate reproduction of the sine wave. With modern recording techniques and better turntable technology you could produce a sound superior to cd but it is to expensive and cd technology gets cheaper all the time(then you have Lenz law to deal with but thats another story).By the way if you look at a cd you will usually see ddd this means yhat all the steps in producing the music were done digitally except in the case where the original source was analog but some bands these days often reproduce in analog first to bring out that" warm" sound found in records rather than that toppy higher frequency sound often found in cds. stay safe freinds
Zaragon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 07:23
Oh... I still remember that good feeling coming home with a new
album. The cover, the lyrics, sometimes posters, everything...
nowadays coming home with a CD in my pocket, sitting down nearly
have to use a magnifying glass getting the details... LOL. Anyway,
have to admit I prefer CDs anyway, but most of practical reasons.
But the old vinyl albums, they sure are archived very close to our
living room and play them from time to time, depending on the
mood.
Rock on friends
Strange avenues where you lose all sense of direction -And everywhere is Main Street in the winter sun.
Ian Anderson
dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 07:42
Zaragon:Looking at cd covers with a magnifying glass, I know what you mean my freind,i know what you mean!! stay safe!!!
Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 07:58

The Day I Started Hating Vinyl

So I loaned this guy (who was an AM radio DJ back in the days when there was still rock music on AM) my copy of Tommy Bolin's Private Eyes album.  He kept it for two months (loaning it out to other people, as I found out later).  When he finally got around to bringing it back to me it had been dropped in a mud puddle and stepped on.  The sneaker print was plainly visible on the disk and the sleeve was still wet from the mud.  

Even after that the sleeve and jacket openings were still lined up so it could fall out again.  Fortunately for him at the time, I didn't go to play the LP until after he had split from my place.

Karma caught up with him though.  Last time I knew he was trying to sell used cars at one of those street corner, former gas station used car lots.

Lookout View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2004 at 12:46
Peter: Lennoxville is in Quebec, next door to Sherbrooke in the eastern townships ~150 km east of Mtl. Beautiful area. Awesome colors in autumn. Lotsa ski hills and lakes. Lennoxville in fact has one of the highest per capita rates of PhD's in North America I once heard. University town. Local trivia... And the theatre is top notch. Excellent acoustics.
 Post Reply Post Reply