FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArzachel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arzachel
    Posted: April 02 2006 at 11:26
Does anyone know anything about these guys? They sound very intresting, considering they included Dave Stewart and Steve Hillage in there early days. Are they worth buying? What should I expect?
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 11:43
Interesting psychedelic jams, especially on side 2 (the last two tracks of the album). The sound quality is only so-so; it is definitely a low-budget album. But the music is definitely worth it, which is not really surprising when you know that Arzachel are none than Egg + Steve Hillage.
About "early days": They did not have any "late" days; in fact their name had originally been "Uriel" (pronounced "You real" with a slight variant; the stress in "real" is on the second syllable and not on the first; the main stress is on the "U" though). They had to change their name because the producer of their album thought "Uriel" sounded too close to "Urinal" (would have been no problem for a punk band lol). They only recorded that album; Hillage went off after that to form Khan, and the band continued as "Egg".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
ozzy_tom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 11:44
If you like such a Dave's bands like "National health" or "Hatfield and the north" you probably won't like this album, but If you are fan of "Egg" era (like me)it will love it. This album represents something beteween prog and really exciting psychedelic rock. A lot of very distored or church-like organ playing and good guitar solos. My favourite "song" is instrumental (sometimes there are even some choirs) " Metempsychosis "more than 16 minutes mind blowing-psych composition. They are without doubt worth buying.
ANDREW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 15:08
This album is another gem from the late '60s prog. The music is psychedelic/space prog with some Canterbury elements.
Wenstrup View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2008 at 16:37
Wrong, please do not post if you have no clue. The proper pronunciation of "Uriel" is your-e-l. The reason they used Arzachel has nothing to do with the Producer confusing with Urinal. Egg was signed to Decca and could not record on another label so they came up with Arzachel to record their one off album. Uriel was long gone by this time with hillage quitting to go to college. Get your facts straight Baldeagle! 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2008 at 16:48
Originally posted by Wenstrup Wenstrup wrote:

Wrong, please do not post if you have no clue. The proper pronunciation of "Uriel" is your-e-l. The reason they used Arzachel has nothing to do with the Producer confusing with Urinal. Egg was signed to Decca and could not record on another label so they came up with Arzachel to record their one off album. Uriel was long gone by this time with hillage quitting to go to college. Get your facts straight Baldeagle! 

I know the proper pronunciation of "Uriel"; Mont Campbell sings it on the second album of Egg. It was Dave Stewart himself who explained the name change that way, in the liner notes of the reissue of Khan's "Space Shanty" album. So I think I have my facts pretty straight.

Edited by BaldFriede - January 12 2008 at 18:15

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
curvedare007 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 14:09

Lets all be friends here - you are both passionate about your music which is great but there is no need to be so argumentative Wenstrup!

Instead of arguing why not spend your passion and time constructively and write an In-Depth review for either the Arzachel or Khan albums mentioned (both favourites of mine) for my site: www.rare-albums.com

Post Reply Post Reply