Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRHCP Announce Tour w/ the Mars Volta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lunaticviolist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: RHCP Announce Tour w/ the Mars Volta
    Posted: April 05 2006 at 01:22
According to MTV.com, the Mars Volta may be opening for the Red Hot Chili Peppers starting in August. Dates will be announced May 1.  Here's the full article:

"This fall, the Red Hot Chili Peppers will be touring the States. And they'll be playing a lot of new tracks from their upcoming 28-song double album, Stadium Arcadium. And they'll be making stops in pretty much every major metropolis along theway.

Beyond that, there are precious few details concerning the trek — including who'll be opening up, when the tour will begin, and which night the Peppers will hit each town.

Tuesday morning (April 4), a long list of cities popped up on the Chili Peppers' Web site, with the news that the North American tour starts in August. Just when in August will remain a mystery — at least until May 1. That's when the dates and venues will officially be announced, according to a spokesperson for the band. Members of the Peppers' fan club will be able to reserve seats starting May 7, and tickets will go on sale to the public May 13.

"An exciting part of our existence right now is [the prospect of] getting to go out and play from 28 new songs," frontman Anthony Kiedis told MTV News recently. "Normally you go out on the road and have 14 new songs to integrate into your set list, and now we have twice that, which really makes the whole thing different and more unpredictable and wild."

According to the site, the tour will be rolling through Portland, Oregon; Boise, Idaho; Salt Lake City; Denver; Phoenix; San Diego; Oakland, California; Sacramento, California; San Jose, California; Fresno, California; New York; Boston; Philadelphia; Albany, New York; Buffalo, New York; Columbus, Ohio; Cleveland; Grand Rapids, Michigan; Detroit; Minneapolis; Vancouver, British Columbia; Calgary, Alberta; Edmonton, Alberta; Saskatoon, Saskatchewan; Winnipeg, Manitoba; Toronto; Montreal; Ottawa; and Quebec City.

"Right now, getting out on the road seems like such a simple and beautiful thing to me," bassist Flea said. "It's often been something I dreaded because it can be so physically draining. But I guess, partly because I am so happy in my life right now, it seems like such a great thing to do — to just get out there and travel, play, travel, play, travel, play."

The funk-fueled Stadium Arcadium, which is spread out over two discs nicknamed "Jupiter" and "Mars," was produced by longtime studio collaborator Rick Rubin. The LP will feature a number of other collaborations, including one with ailing clavinet legend Billy Preston on the track "Warlocks." Mars Volta guitarist Omar Rodriguez appears on the tune "Especially in Michigan."

Did the Chili Peppers invite Rodriguez to contribute to the outing? "No, he begged," Kiedis joked. "At first, we were like, 'Stop begging.' But he wouldn't, and after awhile, we began to admire his tenacity, and his tireless and inexhaustible quest as a beggar to be on the record finally paid off for him. I'm lying, of course. Omar is a young god on earth, and we are happy to have him on our record."

The Peppers might ask Rodriguez to join them onstage this fall. "We have three months of touring booked right now, and we're going to be touring with the Mars Volta the whole time," Flea said. "They're such an explosive, creative and unique band, and we think it's going to be a really wildly cosmic night of rock and roll."

For some time, the Peppers had been entertaining the notion of touring with Kanye West this fall, and discussions were said to have been ongoing between both sides about two months ago. According to a spokesperson for the band, touring with the Louis Vuitton Don is not happening.
"

Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but I've got my hopes up! I hope this means a TMV album is due soon along with their own tour.
My recent purchases:
 Post Reply Post Reply