Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZeuhl 5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 95>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 17:06

Originally posted by DallasBryan DallasBryan wrote:

Can Samla Mammas Manna not fall in with this crowd? isnt Zeuhl really Avant Garde Fusion Gone French. Anyway the Samla family of recordings are closely related in my mind. Anyone for Kultavator?

Samla Mammas Manna, as well as Zamla and Von Zamla, are absolutely great, but, I'm afraid, it's all completely different story. 

carefulwiththataxe
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 17:11

There are several versions of Kohntarkosz out there, and the 'original' two parter is the one I like least. The Seventh records reissue contains version 2, which is played straight through as a single piece and somehow works a lot better without being radically different. The killer version of the piece, though, is on Live-Hhai. At about the 13 minute mark all the instruments stop except for the Fender Rhodes (which is where the part 1 of the vinyl version ended). The badn re-enters, and Gabriel Federow unleashes an electric violin solo of rare ferocity and precision - the rhythmic interplay between violin, bass, drums and keyboards leaves me breathless every time. There's also the ever ascending scale in part 1, and the conclusion to the piece is pretty stunning as well. It's all a matter of personal taste, though.

And did I mention the version of Theusz Hamtaahk on BBC Londres 1974?

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

captainbeyond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 17:30
Awesome. That's what I'm looking for. I will pay special attention to that segment as I spin the disc tonight (I have the Japanese of K and the Seventh of Hhai). Thanks.
listennow801 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 18:47

Originally posted by みこすりはん みこすりはん wrote:

I love the Weidorje album...!
It would make my Top 30...It's just one of those records that I never get the urge to play for some reason...

Hey Oliver...! A few years back I got offered their unreleased 2nd album on tape. I couldn't confirm if it was Weidorje or not...maybe just a rumour. Do you know anything about this...?

I recently acquired a CD-r of a Zeuhl comp that includes Eider Stellaire's un-released LP and the infamous Weidorje 2nd LP. The sound is not too good [esp. on the E.S. - sonic hell one might even say as the volume levels dip..., but let me tell you, it's frigging sublime anyway, imho. The titles are "1) "Nihil II" 2) "Arclis III"]. The Weid. tunes don't have titles on the disc I have. There are also 2 exceptionally good UPPSALA tunes on the disc:   3) "Everum" 4) "Sans Titre." Another by an unheard of French zeuhl group called EVOHE. No info on where this stuff came from/the source I'm afraid. The hack-job editing on the disc is a horrid terror often, but the music makes is well worthwhile, I promise you!

If anyone's interested, let me know and I can copy some CD-Rs. PM me. I will copy 5 or 6. If there are more requests, we could do a 'tree' - that is, each of the folks I burn a disk for, burns a few too, and passes them on, etc...

Cleo

Edited by listennow801

Ratings of Lady Gnosis: http://www.gnosis2000.net/raterclaire.shtml
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 19:35
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

There are several versions of Kohntarkosz out there, and the 'original' two parter is the one I like least. The Seventh records reissue contains version 2, which is played straight through as a single piece and somehow works a lot better without being radically different. The killer version of the piece, though, is on Live-Hhai. At about the 13 minute mark all the instruments stop except for the Fender Rhodes (which is where the part 1 of the vinyl version ended). The badn re-enters, and Gabriel Federow unleashes an electric violin solo of rare ferocity and precision - the rhythmic interplay between violin, bass, drums and keyboards leaves me breathless every time. There's also the ever ascending scale in part 1, and the conclusion to the piece is pretty stunning as well. It's all a matter of personal taste, though.

And did I mention the version of Theusz Hamtaahk on BBC Londres 1974?

couldn't agree more.. the Live Hhai version of Kohntarkosz is killer.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 21:22

for me I love the minimalist and heavy nature of Kohntarkosz, dark brooding constricting, never allowing you to see the light of day, I might come at this from a different angle than most here, being a huge Black Metal and Doom Metal fan, I can hear (and feel) many similarities between Kohntarkosz and an oppresive drawn out composition like Corrupted's "Llenandos de Gusanos"...perhaps, different sides of the same coin with the same goal in mind is the way i see it,

captainbeyond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 00:11
Interesting that you bring up doom. Some doom I like, some less so. I actually caught Corrupted in Tokyo maybe 7 years ago (and on St. Mark's Place maybe 9 years ago). Good live. Visceral. On record, it's a different thing altogether. Slow, oppressive, boring. That goes for Khanate, Moss and the other 10 million doom bands oozing into the world around now. The kind of doom that I can get with (other than doom rock or metal a la Trouble, Solitude Aeturnes, etc) is doom that has room for space, Disembowelment being my favorite. But, as you said, the constriction of Kohn., never allowing you to see the light of day, these are characteristics that I don't think present Magma at their most transcendent. For that, their best music is that which makes you feel like you can scale the Walls of Heaven or burst through the Gates, if necessary.
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 02:04
I like all Doom, from drone doom to more traditional doom bands, I love the spectrum from Trouble to Disembowlment to Moss, etc, its all love to me!  , I just threw out the comparison of Kohntarkosz in relation to something like Corrupted as you must have more patience than the average gnat to fully absorb the power of such a masterpiece as Kohntarkosz,  check that thread in the "Non-prog music" section of this forum for more doom talk,
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 12:42
バンプ (笑)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 13:09

バンプ (笑)

another one I've missed.....hahahah
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 13:40
また。。。?!ハハハ!

Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 14:03

listennow801...

...Evohe is the Holy Grail of Zeuhl...!

is it a live show ...? (there is a live show circulating)

I would happily donate a kidney to hear the studio LP.

Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 14:06
captainbeyond様に

Please PM me

listennow801 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 16:02

Originally posted by mithrandir mithrandir wrote:

I agree that Eider Stellaire I album is mammoth!  incredibly heavy stuff! Iwish they would give it a proper reissue, for I only have a burned CD straight from the vinyl.

1st...stunning, as you know...! Original in a "Star-sign" blue cover, re-issues in a re-print of the 2nd's jacket

2nd...man, oh, man, did this take a long time to 'get' into...! You guys may think this is to the 1st what Van Halen II is to Van Halen I but man...! ...it's like way out there (in the taste stakes) Love it now but it took a good 35 listens until I was happy. Collectors: If you see this or the 1st going cheap(ish) don't hesitate...! (but I hope you are buying it for the music)

3rd...Musea label...easiest to get hold off. A very pleasant Zeuhl/Jazz/Lounge affair it is too...but be aware this clocks in at around the 25 to 30 minute mark

So come on Soleil Zeuhl...! Release these beauties NOW...!

...or...I may do it myself (...and trust me the artwork would be better )    x_O

Here are some notes from Alain of Soliel Zeul  [in 2000] on the status [unfortunate indeed!] of Eider Stellaire re-issues :
"Yes, a reissue of the 1st one is greatly needed. I tried to do so on my own
label last year and had a talk with Michel LE BARS. He does not want to see
ANY reissue of his first 2 LPs. I understood that the problem is not with the
music but with the fact that  he has "buried" his past and does not want to
see it come to light again. His changed his life and my call was not welcome
as he does not even want to talk about his music.
A bit later, I had a talk with Alain JULIAC ( MUSEA team ) and learned that
in the early 90's Michel LE BARS told him that in order to be sure that NO
ONE will ever make a reissue, he burned the master tapes. When I talked to
Michel he did not say that.
So ??????
The only thing sure is that no reissue will be done soon, very probably
never. Let's hope that through the years Michel will change his mind and that
what he told to A.JULIAC was not true...
So, for those who would like to hear this ZEUHL gem, find a tape or a Cd-r
somewhere or, if rich enough buy the LP on a collector's list ; but don't
expect a legal CD reissue."

Sorry about the sad news :(
Cleo

Edited by listennow801

Ratings of Lady Gnosis: http://www.gnosis2000.net/raterclaire.shtml
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 04:17
Hi Claire...!

...many, many, thanks for that info...!

(although heartbreaking)

Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 09:33
Le bump

I had the pleasure to see Koenji Hyakkei live again last week and what a mind-altering lump of zeuhl they delivered...!

Review on the Performances page

Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 09:47
     incidentally. . .

. . .WTF 'appened to me name an' sig. . ? !

I turns me back for two minutes an' I find that I can't find sod all an' all me posts 'ave got buggered up !

Japanese language dame ka ? ! Omaetachi yamete kure. . .

Need to change me screen name. . .

. . .any help much appreciated !
Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 12:12
The only Zeuhl album I have is Udu Wudu.  It's great, but sort of disappointing... it's not as weird as I expected/hoped. Wink

I'll probably get some more Magma shortly, but Udu Wudu is the only album of theirs I can find cheap.  I really want Dun's album but I can't seem to find that anywhere!
Explorer-eighth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 19:06
1. Magma - Kohntarkosz

2. Magma - 1001 degrees centigrades

3. Magma - Magma

4. Univers Zero - Heresie (It has influences of Zeuhl although its RIO)

5. Eskaton - 4 Visions

The LP version of Kohntarkosz was the best because the order of the tracks was perfect.  Ork Alarm was played between the two different parts of the title track which provided a good contrast.  Coltrane Sundia sounds better following Kohntarkosz part two as it does on the LP(vinyl).

Even Eskaton's 4 Visions was better on the cassette because again the tracks were in the ideal order.  Ecoute was like the first movement of a symphony (fast and loud).  Pitie was like the second movement of a symphony (a slow movement) and then Attente was the scherzo and Eskaton was the finale.
The music I enjoy is complex; varied; deep and well played.
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 03:43
I had the pleasure of hearing Heldon's new Live '79 cd recently. An earth-shattering cosmik slew of an experience it is too !

http://www.captaintrip.co.jp/new9.html

Richard Pinhas and Antoine Paganotti and Jerome Schmidt are coming over to Tokyo at the end of this year. Gonna be joined with Ruins/Koenji Hyakkei's Yoshida Tatsuya. Think my head will explode.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 95>